Something out of Nothing - Budget Builds lets see them!

Fuzzual

Sr Member
So I am bored, waiting for a project to be handed into me, and I was surfing for budget builds. So for those of us who scour this website looking at every possible build, and many times wish "If I only had $400 for this, and $200 for that, and $1000 for that, I could build THAT:cry" . . . this thread is for you.

From a young age i watched my father build something out of nothing. It has sort of become my life's motto, and I have seen that many of you do the same. Heck, Star Wars was made from something out of nothing! And many of you have built some incredible things out of nothing!

So I guess what I am asking is . . . Lets see them! No matter how small or how big, lets see your incredible budget builds!

I will start, here are a couple of my budget builds:

Boba Fett:

7552011920_e57b1851bd_c.jpg

7552013276_ec35feacd2_c.jpg

7552032910_285d63fef8_c.jpg

7552034518_b046f0e719_c.jpg

7552036396_300acc3d2f_c.jpg

Jawa Blaster:

7551968804_42e2b1c163_c.jpg

7551969638_0e16782a1b_c.jpg

2/3 R2

7636633584_65d49414c8_c.jpg

7636630388_e0ea1cff84_c.jpg

man i LOVE the ATAT Drive helmet, very cool! You made the Saber at work? is it machined?

Thanks, I made the saber on a lathe from some aluminium rod we had at work, the control box I made from aluminium and perspex, I have now made a more accurate one...also for free lol.

Like this thread! Really great stuff. Love that Gonk.

Here's a mini-bowcaster I did for my 2 1/2 year old daughters Chewbacca costume so everything is scaled down. Definitely not authentic :)

Pretty much just wood, aluminum, greeblies, and the balls. Still locking down the right paint job. $25 dollarsish?

Chewava_wip_bc_07.jpg

Chewava_wip_bc_08.jpg

Chewava_wip_08.jpg

And here she is in action.

Chewava_moresub_02.jpg

Here's the build thread if interested: http://www.therpf.com/f24/mr-barlows-2012-halloween-costume-contest-entry-165418/

OK, since you asked, I'll show off my stuff :)

These were all made as costumes and props for fan films that I have done for YouTube.

8168108545_19a5860a24.jpg

My lightsaber collection. All were made from plumbing parts and various scrounged pieces of stuff lying around. None cost more than $15.

8168109999_da2ef92e07.jpg

My Predator spear, made from two toy "laser swords" and a length of PVC pipe. Total cost around twelve bucks.

8168110307_e4a3c5da40.jpg

The Predator head on the left was made from a modified Rubies Deluxe mask. I added teeth, dreads, and bristles. The bio masks were both made from posterboard coated with fiberglass resin. They cost about five bucks each.

8168108815_fec8021ebf.jpg

My Scout Trooper. The helmet is a Rubies (I made this costume before I ever heard of pepakura). The rest is scrounged from a sheet of vinyl, some plastic two-liter soda bottles, some soccer shin guards, a black jumpsuit, and some motorcycle gloves. Aside from the helmet, the cost was about $45.

8168137046_92edc27d01.jpg

My X-Wing Pilot. The helmet is a Rubies; with an orange jumpsuit and black boots. The vest is a tank-top t-shirt with strips of aquarium tubing attached using white medical tape; the chest box is a carboard box with greeblies (the round silver thing is a lawn sprinkler head) and sump-pump tube. Aside from the helmet, the cost was around $50.

8168138606_c34a4ca71d.jpg

My Imperial Gunner helmet. Made from a toy Army helmet; the shrouds at front and back were made from craft foam. Total cost about $15.

8168109411_8d706a134d.jpg

My Alien Xenomorph. The head is made from taped-together posterboard covered with fiberglass resin and tubes; the teeth are press-on fake fingernails; the body is a black morphsuit with pieces of foamie and tubes glued to the limbs; the chest/back is a vest made from craft foam, with tubes and more foamie at the front, and four pieces of pool noodle at the back; the tail is a length of sump-pump tube with a wire running through it, with pieces of foamie glued to the outside. Total cost came to around $75.

8168137666_55a17e9474.jpg

My Klingon. The latex headpiece that I made unfortunately got a big tear in it from an accident; it's replaced here with a trimmed-off Word mask. The armor is made from strips of vinyl attached to a long-sleeve shirt; the sash is a piece of textured vinyl; the disruptor is a water pistol with the front cut off and replaced by wooden dowels and pieces of foamie. Cost was around $50.

8168110803_62eb0866e2.jpg

My facehugger. The body is made from two layers of craft foam with a wire frame in between, and two balloons; the legs and tail are foam backer rod coated in latex. Cost around ten bucks.

8168111075_d71619cdd7.jpg

My Alien Xeno egg. Made from craft foam and filled with sprayable insulation foam. It has fishing line running through aquarium tubing so I can open it off-camera. Cost around $20, and most of that was for the Great Stuff sprayable foam.

8168139390_715bbd010e.jpg

Three complete Predators. The bodies were done from a Rambo fake-muscle chest and a pair of leotards. The bio masks are posterboard/fiberglass resin; the armor is rubber car floor mat; the gauntlets are shin guards with foamie greeblies. Total cost was less than $200 each.

8168139668_94a5f034df.jpg

A budget build in the works: this will be a set of Roman lorica segmentata armor. It's being made from sheet metal, some brass cabinet hinges, and some scrap pieces of leather. Total cost will be around $50.

To see my fan films, go to YouTube and look for Lflank's channel. There are also build films for most of these.

this thread is great! All the builds look amazing! I ironically just finished an Obi Wan saber for under about $30 I used part of an electronic saber, some copper pipe, pvc (The emitter was a rush job), and a resin pommel for under 4 bucks.... Here it is...

http://www.therpf.com/f9/first-toy-saber-conversion-164909/

Final pics down at the bottom of that thread, The copper fittings I used on the neck really made me smile

OK, since you asked, I'll show off my stuff :)

These were all made as costumes and props for fan films that I have done for YouTube.

8168108545_19a5860a24.jpg

My lightsaber collection. All were made from plumbing parts and various scrounged pieces of stuff lying around. None cost more than $15.

Hey I love the grip material on these, checkers, strips, etc. What did you use for flanges? (2nd and third from left on top, & 3rd and fifth from left on bottom lol

Hey I love the grip material on these, checkers, strips, etc. What did you use for flanges? (2nd and third from left on top, & 3rd and fifth from left on bottom lol

The grips are made from whatever I had lying around. The strips are pieces of foam-rubber weather stripping. The corrugated grips are sump-pump tube---sometimes I wrapped that around the outside of the handle, and sometimes I used a dremel to make cut-outs in the handle and placed the tubing inside. The checkered grip was done by putting a piece of PVC pipe over the handle and cutting it into a checker pattern with a dremel.

Most of the flanges were already built-in-----those sabers were made from a pop-up sink drain assembly. On some of the sabers, I used flared-out rubber gaskets to make the flange.

The pop-up drains come with a little knob on the side--I glued those to the end of the saber as a pommel. On others, I used a sink faucet handle or a lawn sprinkler head for a pommel.

Last edited:
Here's my low budget animatronic Stargate Horus helmet. It's made from card stock, paper mache and craft foam.

Foamies are wonderful things. With enough foamies and enough glue, I think anyone can build absolutely anything. ;)

Heres a few things I have made for next to nothing. Mostly out of foam floor tiles.
Halo costume for my son.
dscf9330l.jpg

Life size wall-e
wall-e.jpg

YoungJ_1B.jpg

YoungJ_1C.jpg

Life size R2-D2
DSCF7198.jpg

Foam Predator Mask.
DSCF7199.jpg

Obviously not screen accurate, but this was under $20.00. Poster board, foam board, sintra, and craft foam. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, and it looks great on my pred suit.

Brian

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back