LED / power supply question

sycor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have an old power supply for an electric razor. Plug in wall wart that puts out DC. The problem is that it only puts out something crazy small like 1.3V. (It's an old charge for an electric razor.) Is there a way I can make this work to power some LEDs? Would adding a capacitor or something help? I'm guessing no but just though I'd ask.

There is a circuit called a joule thief, which is used to run a 3V LED off of a single (drained) 1.5V battery. And can actually run off as little as 0.5V .
It should work with a power supply, as long as the current isn't too high.

This video from MAKE is a nice fun introduction, if not the most detailed instructions. (Just google joule thief for more info)

I don't know what you were planning on doing, but if you want to drive lots of LEDs you'd be better off just buying a 3V power supply off eBay (<$5)

Last edited:
I need to run 2 or maybe 3 LEDs. So it might just be easier to use one of my larger power supplies.

Jason
(Sent via Tapatalk)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back