DREDD 3D (2012) - Helmet Build - Finished Page 7

Re: DREDD 3D - Helmet Build

Since you are CNC milling the Helmet you could have milled it as a female mold. The detail in the vacform would have been as sharp as the 3d model.

In theory. But inside corners are different than outside corners when you're talking about cutting with a round bit. One will be a round corner the other would be square. I'm molding it and pulling resin cast anyways.. So no lost vac detail.

Renshape is good for that type of mold.. SignFoam isn't as dense.. so i'd be left with a gritty surface as well.

SignFoam is about $400 for a 4x8x1.5 vs $900+ for the same size in ren.

I'll mill the back half out.. then seal it all up and do some hand tooling on it.. Then I'll sand and body work it until its smooth as babies butt. Once i'm happy with the master I'll mold it. Bingo Bango..

-Devin

Well Girls.. You might be in luck! Last night I milled out the front side.. and after pulling a vac form test off the front half… I've kicked myself in the butt for not trusting myself. I measured and measured.. Then right before the mill I changed my mind on the scale thinking it was going to be too big... Well I was wrong.. So my mistake may turn into your reward. So for now I'm putting the smaller one aside and after I get the full size helmet finished I'll revisit based on number of interests.

So sorry for the false start folks.. We gotta getter right! Let’s start again!

This is good news lol

Wow, very beautiful! I've heard lots of good things about you on the 405th (if your the same blue realm)

When your ready to do a run, I'd like to make a deposit on one

Little fine tooling never hurts.
image.jpg

There's a tool I could use in my backyard/work space :lol

Kills my helmet! Really cool stuff!
What! after I buy yours you say this! JK I love yours and just posted pic in your thread.

I am super excited about this build though.

Once I had the shape I wanted I used poly urethane to seal up the foam. Then.... sand ... sand.. sand.. and sand some more.. Still needs some bondo and touch-ups.. but its coming along nicely.

2012_09_27_18_47_17.jpg

Hi,
newbie here, so sorry for some of the silly questions I'm about to ask (I'm more of a plastics and metal guy).

Are you using glued sheets of MDF for the material you're cutting?
I assume this is a computerised mill to take in your 3d image. How much would a mill like this cost?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back