FemShep N7 Armor, Valkyrie Rifle, + Omniblade (Mass Effect 3)

Re: FemShep n7 Armor: SYNTHESIS (ME3)

Sweet! Great things to think about for the leg armor, thanks for that.

Also, I think it's mandatory for all cosplay workshops to have a cat assistant.

Armored Legs :love

Would an inside elastic 'back' panel sectional piece degrade from the appearance of your suit?
The gaps would only open during movement.
Could experiment on the shape with cardboard the same thickness as your leather.

The problem is that gamemakers don't have characters that complain that the armor isn't easy to wear. What you are doing is perfect. Just cut away until it is comfortable for your ninja pounce.

OH! And it looks amazing...

If we are being honest here, I haven't gone exactly with the reference structure because my boot comes away from my calf. In the image, it is flush to the back of her knee. I'm going to experiment with vac-forming over my leg casts and see if the armor-crouching issues are solved (I'm betting on it, which might mean a redo of the boot).

I would have styrene instead of bada** solid leather, for those areas anyway. Sigh.

But on that note, if I am using less leather overall for this costume, it made me contemplate whether a yoga-mat foam for the carbon fiber is going to go with such smooth contours created by the plastic. Leather has very slight surface imperfections, and I was going for a matte finish because of that - but the foam (the kind I was going to use anyway) would look weird next to the smooth plastic.

So while I think a lot of carbon fiber films look nothing like the real thing, I might go with the bigger sample in these images, though supposedly the top one is the most flexible and able to take compound curves. I'm not a fan of how directional the smaller sample is, because that would complicate symmetrical parts of the costume. They clash a little bit with the suit gray under some lighting, but not a whole lot.

I love that you're willing to start over on a piece if you aren't happy with it. Either way, it's going to look incredible!

Here's some behind-the scenes shots of this costume in progress:

Plastic sheet land! I LOVE going here wtf is wrong with me. He's fetching the Shep styrene.

This is the glorious vac former I have been using. The plaster casts of my legs are under it there. Sort of ghetto, the frame only goes up about 8", but I've become pretty attached to it.

I have to say the plastic on my legs looks mostly like paper right now. My brother's response was "Uh, explain why this is better than leather, again?" Rather unimpressive, yes. But having something contoured to my leg makes a HUGE difference in my ability to move.

Also, bottom right corner. It took me a minute to notice that little troll.

Do any Fem Sheps want my old boots?

I'm officially remaking them now, but I'm still proud of the originals. They just can't sit around not getting used. The base shoe is size 6 and has a ~2.5 inch heel.

Last night I worked 8PM -1 AM on the leg sections. Most of that was waiting for glue to dry and repositioning things so that they looked symmetrical and didn't ride up or do anything weird after walking around. I would love to have most of the armor parts assembled by Halloween, even if the costume is no where near finished. Once we get into November I will be crushed under the amount of work I have to do before the semester is over, and I'm gone for the holidays, so this is where my costume work ends up taking me half a year. Can you hear the bitterness?

Great work! Can't wait to see the completed build! The omni blade should be wicked!
M

Last edited:
Re: FemShep N7 Armor: SYNTHESIS (Mass Effect 3)

Got the neck guard assembled!

This was also a test for the carbon fiber vinyl. Wrapping it around the shoulder pieces is not going to be fun, but I'm gonna suck it up because it looks awesome.

View attachment 120615

I've used a laser cutter for the omniblade, but these parts were hand-cut out of styrene with a utility knife. When I factor in how long it takes me to make templates in illustrator, then reserving a machine and transportation, it's just faster to do it freehand. But it was not fast at all, this took most of my Saturday and pissed off a lot of people, because I'm only popular when I want to be in my studio.

Right now it just has Krylon black primer. I'm going to do elastic trim on the raw edges against the shoulder, and there is a second strip of the carbon-texture that needs to go inside the collar, and some layers that will finish it up from the head-on angle.

I'm definitely subscribing to this! Its awesome to watch your progress and dedication to your project. :D

I really like the look of the carbon fiber film, I'm definitely going to have to have a play around with that stuff :D

Worked all day, don't have much to show for it except a ****ed up boot:

RAAAWRRRRR! :angry Words cannot convey my wrath.

It took every ounce of self control not to fling that piece of crap across my basement, into the asbestos/spider infested abyss behind the heating unit.

Did have success in one area though.

And the carbon fiber piece of the chest armor. The trick is to press as much of it down before applying heat as possible. But this particular kind of carbon fiber vinyl hugs curves about as well as acetate. Absolutely cannot wait to do shoulder armor and possibly a helmet with it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back