FemShep N7 Armor, Valkyrie Rifle, + Omniblade (Mass Effect 3)

Re: FemShep n7 Armor: SYNTHESIS (ME3)

I like how Shep's armor looks natural, so I just molded my own chest with plaster.

To answer someone else, yes those were casts of my hands. A few parts of this costume started with plaster-gauze things pulled off my body to help me with proportion.

Now you need to cast just a little bit more and add a digital recording. Robo-Freya!

Are you going to do a nerf build for your rifle?

Now you need to cast just a little bit more and add a digital recording. Robo-Freya!

Haha. Armaments, that's still up in the air. If I have a rifle, it will likely either be a cast by Volpin Props that I paint myself, or I may just do a photoshoot with one of his when this costume is done, which would be less work for both of us.

Until then, this will be my primary weapon. My very first omniblade print (that is totally a mannequin arm, btw guys). That was in June or July. It has since had some details added to the vector file and changes in angling on the wrist bands.

Or do EDI. That would be cool...

I can't wait to see how you do the omniblade. It looks cool just in that form.

This is awesome work, I want to see how this looks when finished cos it already looks great. I played thru the ME games with a female Shepard so I love seeing real world builds like this :)

I'm going to be starting on a version two Mass Effect 3 femshep build soon, I'm loving the work you've done here. May I borrow some of techniques you've used on your build? For the carbon fiber parts of the costume since you seem to be steering away from a EVA foam build are you going to use 3d effect carbon fibre vinyl for cars or real carbon fibre? XD

Thanks everyone, your encouragement means a lot right now. I may attempt heat forming the omniblade sooner than planned since everyone seems to be curious. I'm curious, too.

I'm going to be starting on a version two Mass Effect 3 femshep build soon, I'm loving the work you've done here. May I borrow some of techniques you've used on your build? For the carbon fiber parts of the costume since you seem to be steering away from a EVA foam build are you going to use 3d effect carbon fibre vinyl for cars or real carbon fibre? XD

Sure, and as far as the carbon fiber parts - I am still trying to decide. Right now I've used yoga mats for the shoe details, but specifically for the ab-plates (my reference shows the carbon texture there), I'm not sure that's a material I want to use. It doesn't seem strong enough. I may do something... absurd, like mold the surface of the yoga mat so that the texture is the same, but the cast material is resin or a sturdier rubber. Everywhere else the mat would probably work fine on its own with good primer. Since I am so happy with my shoes, I don't really want to change the textural appearance on the rest of the suit.

Still trying to get the shoulder piece fixed up. I keep sanding and running into bubble voids. Annoying, not a big deal, though fixing this thing is getting extremely dull.

Also ran some things through the vac former, with 1/16" styrene and some thinner stuff for the hands. I keep having issues with webbing, since there isn't any option but an "on" button for the vacuum, and I'm not familiar with the machine in general. Repositioning things makes a huge difference.

The little wrinkle on the side of the chest piece is probably going to be cropped off, so I will probably use this one.

Sewing update: gloves.

The finger tips have conductive stretch nylon so I can use my touchscreen phone while in costume. Siri exists now, so that is useful when you want to text something completely awkward regarding bisexual waffles to the wrong person - but before that, when I wore a costume with gloves (every one I've made with a single exception) ...I used the tip of my nose to call people. Very often the people with me were wearing gloves and just as helpless.

I put an end to that. These work and they are totally awesome. The material must touch your finger inside the glove in order to complete a circuit with the touch screen. They have a tutorial on Instructables for those interested, but their website is down right now, so I'll put the link up here later.

The ability to use a phone in a costume is worth every penny. Not all of mine have been that comfortable.

I've been thinking about that a lot. Mainly because I'm also not sure how I will be attaching the armor parts to the under-suit. It would be awesome if I could stick it in the forearm/bicep guard, but my arm is way too skinny. The boots are too tight.

I wonder where other FemSheps put those things?

I have contemplated sewing an invisible zipper pocket in the undersuit so I can slip my phone, debit/credit cards and money. After wearing the suit, I theorize the pocket could go in the seam in the side of the undersuit and either stash things under my ab plate or my back plate. I"m thinking ab plate, but that would count out my phone.

Until I get that implemented, I 'indoctrinate' a minion to carry my stuff and be on hand for any issues.

As you know, I am not familiar with the character so don't know if you are wearing any, but how about putting the phone in an ammo pouch and have a blue tooth earpiece.

I have contemplated sewing an invisible zipper pocket in the undersuit so I can slip my phone, debit/credit cards and money. After wearing the suit, I theorize the pocket could go in the seam in the side of the undersuit and either stash things under my ab plate or my back plate. I"m thinking ab plate, but that would count out my phone.

Until I get that implemented, I 'indoctrinate' a minion to carry my stuff and be on hand for any issues.

I was excited about this idea of a secret pouch in the undersuit, and since mine has a center seam it could also go under the ab plate (minus phone as well)... but when I got home, I realized my zipper goes all the way down to the stomach. So no room for invisible pockets :(

As you know, I am not familiar with the character so don't know if you are wearing any, but how about putting the phone in an ammo pouch and have a blue tooth earpiece.

That would be a cool idea if I got around to making headgear for this costume (I really, really, really want to). I'm fond of the N7 helmet and the Sentry Interface.

I've also thought about making a small iphone-shaped void in the inside of the neck guard, parallel to those vertebrae designs. I'd make a black fabric case, and attach it to the nook with velcro. It looks just high enough to fit in there, and it is easily reachable (which it would not be in the back-gear area, though that is a possible plan B).
View attachment 113264

:lol

Why don't you just make an ammo pouch for your thigh or arm? It's one of the armor addons you can get in ME2 and 3. That would be perfect for a phone and not look out of place.

Why don't you just make an ammo pouch for your thigh or arm? It's one of the armor addons you can get in ME2 and 3. That would be perfect for a phone and not look out of place.

Thats another possibility. I am actually only playing through the first game right now (I NEVER have time, sigh), so I'm not as intimately familiar with all the gear possibilities of the 2nd and 3rd games - I watched my brother play those.

I'll warn you guys in advance - I've already scrapped some stuff and I am redoing it. Mainly the bicep pieces and belt details (didn't have the right curvature when I put it on myself).

So, I think the Halloween deadline is a joke.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back