Leif Ericson Galactic Cruiser-FINISHED PICS!!!

Re: Leif Ericson Galactic Cruiser

Thanks for the comments everyone. Werewolf33, your compliment means a lot comig from a fellow artist. I'm mostly a drawer and painter myself but I've alwayts admired those who sculpt. I suppose these models are my form of sculptures in a modest way.

Well I finished the weathering with black pastel chalk over a coat of Dullcote then sealed with another shot of Dullcote. I wanted the ship to look like she'd been in service for a decade or so.
I gotta say I am pretty good at the subtle streaking thing. The Leif is capable of atmospheric entry so it is absolutely appropriate that she bear some evidence of that.
It's amazing how the pastel chalk muted and blended all the grey and silver hull paneling.
Applying the pastel chalk with a moistened sponge applicator then rubbing with a soft cloth really gave the hull a nice patina-somewhere between steel and titanium.
She looks altogether menacing.

I also gave the launch bay floor a thick coat of Future which made the drops of CA visible at the feet of the basketball players disappear.
I may just leave it glossy; it looks kind of neat with light reflecting off of it rather than having a flat finish.

I have some pics of the weathering process to post.
Can't wait to show you guys!

Weathering pics...

I use Tamiya Weathering Master pastel chalks. The color on the container says "Gunmetal".

Applying the chalk with a moist foam makeup applicator:

Weathering by trekriffic, on Flickr

Rubbing with an old dry handywipe. For nooks and crannies I use a microbrush and q-tip. If the weathering looks too heavy it's easily wiped off with a little water:

Rubbing by trekriffic, on Flickr

After weathering:

After Rubbing by trekriffic, on Flickr

After Weathering by trekriffic, on Flickr

The chalk is sealed with another coat of Dullcote.
Today I'll go back and touch up the windows and impulse engines with Future.

Last edited:

Thanks for the comments everyone. Werewolf33, your compliment means a lot comig from a fellow artist. I'm mostly a drawer and painter myself but I've alwayts admired those who sculpt. I suppose these models are my form of sculptures in a modest way.

Believe me this model is a definite work of art and a sculpture, that is not modest in the level of love, care work and patience you have put into it and it shows. You see I cannot draw to save my life. Most people who sculpt monsters and stuff (like I do) draw their concept first. I can't, so it goes from my mind onto the clay no in between, I usually have such a strong conceptual image and to try to draw it just doesn't work, so I admire those who can draw. My painting skills are definitely a lot better than my drawing, just as well for this work!! You are definitely a very creative artist and it is definitely more of a sculpture, than just building a model, anyone can do that, but not anyone can do the level of detail and work you have done here. I love the new updates too btw. Awesome stuff.

Well I finished her up at lunch today. Brushed on some Testors chrome paint to the little diddly-bobs (pinheads) on the forward sensor array. I even added a touch of chrome to the tops of the crewmen's helmets. They really pop now. The scout looks great in the bay with its shiny floor.

Last edited:

In preparation for taking the finished pics I decided I wanted something other than the kit stand for shooting purposes so I rigged up an aluminum tube with a DC power plug on one end wired to a power jack on the other:

IMG_2590 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The "power stick", if I may call it that, is clamped in my portable vise which is mounted to a heavy wooden block. The battery box plugs into the power jack wired to the stick. Here's a picture of the setup:

Photography Wand Test by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2595 by trekriffic, on Flickr

I also took a second plastic tube that fits over the aluminum stick and painted it bright green for when I take the greenscreen pics.
I plan on taking a few pics on the stand with a neutral backdrop, some against my black starfield, and some against my greenscreen in case any artists out there want to do some composites; unfortunately, I don't have any software like Photoshop myself so I'm hoping someone out there would like to collaborate. I plan to make a short video too.

Last edited:
Nice work! The paint did look a bit weird to me, but the flat coats bring it all together. The metallic finish is very cool :thumbsup

Thanks guys! Here are some more pics:

IMG_2673 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2672 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2647 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2648 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2652 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2653 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2662 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The launch bay:

IMG_2484 by trekriffic, on Flickr

The VEGA Scout Ship:

IMG_2626 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2627 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2628 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2630 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2631 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2632 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very very nicely done. I imagine the pearl effect is much more visible in person as photos do sometimes tend to wash it out (same deal with the original paintjob on the TMP Enterprise studio model).

Very very nicely done. I imagine the pearl effect is much more visible in person as photos do sometimes tend to wash it out (same deal with the original paintjob on the TMP Enterprise studio model).

Actually, after about 4 coats of pearl the tiny dots of silver that impart the pearlescent effect pretty much all run together to impart an almost uniform silver tone underneath which can be seen the paneling. Then after rubbing with gunmetal pastel chalk and a few shots of Dullcote the finish is darkened to the look of steel. So the photos are fairly representative of the ships overall finish.

Thanks Kenny! Here are some more space images...I'll try to put them into some kind of sequence so they flow...

IMG_2700 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2729 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2679 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2710 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2754 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2756 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Scout launch...

Leif Ericson 024 small by trekriffic, on Flickr

Leif Ericson 030 small by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2795 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Some closeups:

Leif Ericson 038 small by trekriffic, on Flickr

Leif Ericson 040 small by trekriffic, on Flickr

Leif Ericson 039 small by trekriffic, on Flickr

Starlight... Starbright:

Starlight-Starbright by trekriffic, on Flickr

Last edited:
Why do I find that backplate so familiar?

Great work on the model!

LeifEricson041small.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

For members here who you really like my build of this great model please consider joining The Tholian Web forum and casting a vote for the Leif in the Model Contest there. Voting starts Dec 1. Here's a link to the contest thread where you can view all the entries:

http://thetholianweb.com/phpbb/viewt...hp?f=71&t=2006

I'm a global admin there so, if you do decide to join "The Web" as we like to call it, send me a PM here and I'll make sure to approve your membership request myself.

I'm late to the game but I've just got to chime in here and tell you how fantastic your build is. Like others, I had the glow-in-the-dark "Alien Mystery Ship" version from the 70's and have a particular love for this design. Your execution blows any other version I've seen out of the water. While I am a Lightwave user, my first love is for physical modeling and this is truly a piece of art, IMO. I'm happy to know that there are still artisans out there with the passion and expertise to pull this off. My most sincere kudos to you for taking this on and executing at such a high level. Bravo!

Just found this I`m getting ready to build the Lief Ericson ,- wow you sure make it a tall order! This is the definitive build I hope to get close to your build. I plan to build mine with landing gear, I think that the ship has planetfall capability

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back