Leif Ericson Galactic Cruiser-FINISHED PICS!!!

Re: Leif Ericson Galactic Cruiser

Here are today's updates...

After masking the Ocean Grey panels I sealed everything with Future and gave her a coat of gloss black lacquer and set aside to dry:

Black Undercoat by trekriffic, on Flickr

Some of the black was masked for where I wanted black stripes on the model:

IMG_2396 by trekriffic, on Flickr

She then got a coat of Tamiya Bare Metal Silver:

IMG_2408-1 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2409-1 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2410-1 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Followed by more blue masking tape for making the silver panels:

Masking for Silver Panels by trekriffic, on Flickr

I wanted to show this image as a reminder of what a great designer Matt Jefferies was.
I always loved the low angle shot of the Enterprise between the nacelles and over the hump of the bridge looking forward into the unknown.
This angle kind of reminds me of that:

Over the Top by trekriffic, on Flickr

To wrap up today's post here are some pics of the finished Scout Ship.
All that's left is a few layers of Dullcote:

Finished Scout Ship by trekriffic, on Flickr

Scout Ship Engine Bells by trekriffic, on Flickr

Scout Ship Profile by trekriffic, on Flickr

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Outstanding, Trekriffic. I really like that Jefferies admiration shot you took ... the ship suddenly comes to life and looks huge. I'm enjoying every post you make in this thread.

Thanks!

Small update from yesterday and this morning...

Once the ion engines are wired in and glued to the hull it will be time to attach the shrouds.
They are fairly rigid and will require some flexibility to slide into the slots in the hull.
I may end up having to heat them along their glue joints to get them to flex.
This will be a delicate operation.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Today's updaste...

Now that the hull is painted silver it's time to attach the ion engines and their shrouds to the hull...

First thing was to shorten the leads so as not to have a ton of wire to stuff inside the hull openings where the ion engine mounting tabs slide in.
This was done and the ends of the wires were stripped and pre-tinned for soldering:

IMG_2411 by trekriffic, on Flickr

After soldering the power was turned on to see if the engines still lit up:

IMG_2412 by trekriffic, on Flickr

Oh yeah... they still lit up!

After brushing on some Liquid Electrical Tape to the solder joints and letting it dry for 15 minutes or so, I broke out a bottle of Locktite "Professional Liquid" Super Glue to attach the ion engines to the hull.
Never used it before but it said it dries fast and it did!
No kicker needed with this stuff:

IMG_2417 by trekriffic, on Flickr

I removed the cardboard paint masks and slid the shrouds into place laying strips of aluminum foil tape down where they would slide over the hull and into their slots.
The tape was to protect the silver paint from scratching.
Here's the Leif after the shrouds were locked down with Locktite applied carefully along the top slots to get the tabs to stay down in their slots.
I think I was getting some pushback from all the wiring inside the hull along the sides of the launch bay.
Once I dabbed on a little of the Locktite though and forced the shrouds down tight to the hull it only took about 5 seconds for the glue to cure.
I didn't need to glue the tabs in lower slots at all.
I did a quick light test with the engines powered up inside their shrouds:

IMG_2421 by trekriffic, on Flickr

IMG_2426 by trekriffic, on Flickr

I have to say I'm pretty pleased with how they look.

Once I've finished painting the hull I'll attach the brass PE engine grills to the front and back of the shrouds.
They are painted silver and will look awesome with the engines lit up behind them.

Now to finish masking the silver panels...

Thanks again for reading!

Last edited:

This is too cool. I was born in 65 and remember my grandmother buying me the kit when I was a kid when I was visiting her.

Progress continues...

Frank2056 over on Hobbytalk was kind enough to send me these 1/500 scale Preiser figures:

Preisor Figures by trekriffic, on Flickr

I'm going to postulate that the Leif has force field technology that would allow crewmen to occupy an open launch bay without the need for space suits.
Alternatively, I might go ahead and have them in some kind of environmental suits in the bay; perhaps playing 3-on-3 basketball with the doors open... call it "Hoops Under the Stars" or something else like...
I know!
Space Jam!!!
Yeah!
Oh,umh,that's already been taken hasn't it?
Never mind...

Anyway, back to the Leif...

I decided that since the nose of the scout ship had a black anti-glare panel in front of the windows the Leif would too so I masked off the upper nose shield in preparation for spraying with Testors flat black enamel:

Masking Nose Shield by trekriffic, on Flickr

The anti-glare panel after painting:

Nose Shield Black Panel by trekriffic, on Flickr

I also think it appropriate that, as the Leif is part of the Strategic Space Command which evolved from the Strategic Air Command, it should have something in common with the aircraft of the latter.
As seen in the photo below the black nose panel was a common characteristic of Strategic Air Command aircraft:

Strategic Air Command by trekriffic, on Flickr

Here is the ship after finishing all the masking of the silver panels:

I added some strip styrene just inside the engine shroud openings so when I glue the photo-etch grills in place there will be something to glue to where the grills meet the rounded hull:

Cowling Glue Strips by trekriffic, on Flickr

Test fit with one of the forward grills:

Ion Engine Cowling Grill by trekriffic, on Flickr

The "glue strip" is painted silver and should also help block any light from bleeding thru when the engines are lit up.

Here's the ship now after I sprayed her with an overall coat of Tamiya Medium Sea Grey:

Final Grey Coat by trekriffic, on Flickr

Next up... removing the masks!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

:eek :eek :eek

That being said, BEAUTIFUL! I recently put together the glow in the dark 'mystery UFO' version (no decals, no paint, and a whole lotta unfilled seams!); this makes me want to get the Ericson, and try something like this!
:love

The Leif Ericson... UNMASKED!

It took like 3 hours to remove most if not all of the masks and finish the touchups.
I left the black nose panel masked as well as the upper tips of the wings which are be black as well.
I also left the silver vents on the sides of the shrouds masked. They may end up being steel.
I may spray the black wingtips with an overspray of the finishing coats to mute the black; still haven't decided on that but I think black might look nice on the tailfins to tie in with the black on the nose.
Anyway here are the pics...

After Removal of All Masks by trekriffic, on Flickr

Before I airbrush the final unifying coats I'm going to do some experimentation and spray a piece of thin styrene sheet with the 3 colors medium sea grey, ocean grey, and silver) and try out overspraying with a mix of primarily thinned down light grey; I say primarily since I'm thinking light grey mixed with a little steel for a metallic look.

See ya!

Last edited:

It's kind of funny, I actually liked how the hull looked with the masking tape and having it all painted one single color. Instead of the multi-tone look of normal aztecking, it seemed to have more texture and depth. But either way, this is beautiful work. I'm still in awe by the basketball nets. I do like the color palette you've chosen for this, BTW, leaning more towards cooler colors.

Yes. I kind of liked the heavily armored battleship look too with the masking tape.
With the silver and blue-grey aztecing she'll take on a more elegant appearance;
sort of like comparing the uniformly grey look of the original 1701 Enterprise with the look of the refit.

Well, wonder of wonders, my new Windows 7 laptop did not reject the picture download from my camera so... here are some new pics...

After spraying the hull with a mix of Testors Ghost Grey, Camouflage Grey, and Gloss Clear enamel thinned about 70/30 with thinner I set it aside to dry and worked on the Preiser figuresn Frank2056 had so kindly provided.

I decided that I'd show them in spacesuits so I cut tiny rectangular bits of Evergreen strip and glued them to their backs to approximate oxygen tanks. Then I painted them silver and made helmets from white glue applied withn a toothpick. I stood them up on foam tape while they dried:

Tiny Crewman by trekriffic, on Flickr

Spacemen by trekriffic, on Flickr

Next day I went back to the Leif. The overspray I'd airbrushed on allowed the darker paneling to show thru (very subtly) but the silver panels were basically gone. Interestingly, the layers of paint I'd applied for the panels left behind raised edges even though I'd given the hull an overall light sanding once the masking tape was removed. It actually gave the smooth hull surface a nice texture like armor plating (you'd like that Gebirg). It also served as a guide for me to go back with brushes and touch up the silver panels keeping the paint confined within the raised borders.

Here's the paint mix I used- 1 part Ghost Grey, 1 part Camouflage Grey, 2 parts Steel, and thinner. This was dry-brushed on to good subtle effect:

Retouching by trekriffic, on Flickr

Stern of the Leif with Crew figures in the foreground for size comparison. These little guys are only about 5/32" tall:

Crew Figures Size Comparison by trekriffic, on Flickr

Once the panel retouch is finished I'll give her an overspray with this:

Gloss Pearl Clearcoat by trekriffic, on Flickr

Thanks for reading everyone!

Last edited:

Today's update...

After another few days of drying time it was time for spraying the Gloss Pearl Clearcoat.

After a couple of passes with the pearl:

Foreward Section After Pearl Clearcoat by trekriffic, on Flickr

After Pearl Coat by trekriffic, on Flickr

Once the pearl dries I'll apply the decals before sealing with Glosscote followed by 2-3 coats of Dullcote to tone down the gloss.

Then I need to address what's going on in the launch bay.

See ya!

Last edited:

Looking really good..!

I have an ever-so-vague memory of this model from my childhood. I remember a friend having it, but I also seem to remember it being built of that glow in the dark plastic..but I'm not sure if that's just one old memory running over another one.:unsure

Looking really good..!

I have an ever-so-vague memory of this model from my childhood. I remember a friend having it, but I also seem to remember it being built of that glow in the dark plastic..but I'm not sure if that's just one old memory running over another one.:unsure

You probably remember seeing your friend's "UFO Mystery Ship". It was molded in glow-in-the-dark plastic but was basically the same kit.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back