Hellboy's Room Key buidup...

I'm finally making some progress on the next three copies of the key. Had to set up a ventilated spray booth in the closet but so far it has worked out well. The Alclad2 chrome seems to be working out well... using their own clear lacquer allows for a moderate amount of handling without the silver coming off too. I reckon I've thrown over 100 bucks just on paint getting these done (not counting buying a new compressor)!

Last edited:
Parts for the holster have arrived and they fit the key perfectly. If it works out I will be able to make more if those that ordered the key want one.

attachment.php

So, the final three Room Keys are now just about done. I just have some final painting to do before I lubricate the mechanisms and glue on the handles. After tinkering away at these last pieces I decided to try a different metallic finish. The Alclad paint is great... and of course very reflective compared to all other metallic paints out there but there is still something a little "off" about it. Maybe it was too reflective? So I went over the keys again with another technique. I basically laid down coat after coat of Alclad, while lightly brushing/sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper between each coat. this gave the pieces kind of a "brushed aluminum" look that I feel looks a little more like real metal that has seen some "use" but is still mostly clean with some slight oxidation. Note that there is still a lot of reflectivity left in it...

attachment.php

I'll be hitting them with a final coat of silver over the current clear coat to bring in a little more reflectivity, after that they are done and I'll turn full attention to finishing up a couple of those Kroenen "windup heat thingies" you may have seen me harping about lately!

Hi Joatrash

(really cool projectS! +1 for ongoing K's Blaster!! Great!)

I am working on a similar slide mechanism on a project. pieces shall also be 3d printed.

I m bumping up this thread hoping you could give me some tips regarding the clearances (with 3d printed parts).

I had in mind
- Snap fit(with alignment pegs): +2x 0,15mm (e.G Hole diameter:3,3mm/pin 3mm)
- Sliding (loose fit): 2x0,5mm (e.G Hole diam. 4mm/ pin 3mm)

What tell your experience ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs

Last edited:
Haha... wow... Necrothread.... I can't believe it's ben SIX YEARS since I did the Room Key. Funny thing is, that with my newly upgraded 3d printing capabilities I've been looking at this model again since I don't actually have one myself any longer!

But to your question:

Without knowing more about your project, or actually seeing the parts, it's hard to gauge. Material plays into it (metal? plastic?) as does length, flexibility and so on. Generally, 300 microns clearance all around seems excessive and might be bad if it's a longer piece. You risk it getting misaligned and catching if it has a lot of travel. Then there's the question of lubrication; if you're going to need grease or something to lubricate movement, the extra clearance might make sense. Also keep in mind that paint layers can easily build up quite a few microns and take away clearance.

Hi Joatrash

(really cool projectS! +1 for ongoing K's Blaster!! Great!)

I am working on a similar slide mechanism on a project. pieces shall also be 3d printed.

I m bumping up this thread hoping you could give me some tips regarding the clearances (with 3d printed parts).

I had in mind
- Snap fit(with alignment pegs): +2x 0,15mm (e.G Hole diameter:3,3mm/pin 3mm)
- Sliding (loose fit): 2x0,5mm (e.G Hole diam. 4mm/ pin 3mm)

What tell your experience ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs

Thanks for the reply

JOATRASH FX said:
Also keep in mind that paint layers can easily build up quite a few microns and take away clearance.
Good advice! thks

I m working on a replica of the CO2 gun from Live and Let Die.

1521401221885.png

LALDSharkGun.jpg

The main features that I want to include are:
- 3d printed parts + paint
- Pieces shall be able to be taken apart (barrel, cross, canister, bullet )
- Locking mechanism for barrel(quick coupling) and canister
- Barel shall slide open to reveal the loaded bullet

Here the ongoing CAD model of the barrel.

Model_Close_Transp_V1_Full.jpg

Some pieces shall
- Slide loose (e.G barrel) + magnet ?
- Slide tight(e.G canister)
- Slide fit (e.G small components attached)

Model_Open_zoom_V1_Full.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back