Seam lines in foam builds???

redbridge1

Hi brahs and shebrahs!! gotta ask before I continue further with my suit, the lines where foam armor pieces joins, will they be less visible when i seal the armor with a few coats of pva glue if you know what I mean???

Will the glue fill in the gaps as it drys?

Hi brahs and shebrahs!! gotta ask before I continue further with my suit, the lines where foam armor pieces joins, will they be less visible when i seal the armor with a few coats of pva glue if you know what I mean???

Will the glue fill in the gaps as it drys?

the glue dosnt really fill them in but xrobots new plastic coating method does to a certain extent

ran into the same problem when i started out too.
1st, make sure that your using the low heat setting for your glue gun. if it doesnt have a heat setting. throw it in the garbage and get one that does.
2nd, make sure that you push the outside together before the inside. glue in small sections. 1-3 inches
3rd, pinch your seems together until they meet and maybe push out glue.
4th, use the tip of the glue gun to reheat the glue so that you can pinch the edge back together.

you may have a small groove, but that typical. you can try to add some extra hot glue to cover the gap and smooth it out with the hot tip. if there is still a tiny gap you can gradually fill it with modge podge untill its smooth.

good luck. anything else, just ask

also, im not sure what your build is, but you may want to look into thinner foam.

dont use caulking. it makes a big mess and its not flexible enough. made that mistake with my war machine helmet

Vinom11 is right. buy the big packs of blades. and change the often. ive used about 60 on my gundam. unless you want to try a heat-knife

I'm having the same drama but I'm assuming from the look of the awesome foam builds on here it's a learning curve that will bring along the clean builds in the future.

hey, there was a thread not long ago from a guy that used tape to hold the edges together while the clue dried and that looked pretty clean, il see if i can find it back up for you.

Definitely check out that thread ^ I bought a Hot knife
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/i...TXyn_DKKqntg3fs_oz9IfkK6bc-osZWvpm678L4zQ9VVI
and it works perfect for clean cuts. clean cuts and the method above and you shouldn't really have a need to fill in any gaps. I know that probably doesn't help you now but future reference. I'd go with extra hot glue using the hot tip of the gun to smooth it out or try the modge podge ( I haven't tried that yet but sounds legit.

Definitely check out that thread ^ I bought a Hot knife
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/i...TXyn_DKKqntg3fs_oz9IfkK6bc-osZWvpm678L4zQ9VVI
and it works perfect for clean cuts. clean cuts and the method above and you shouldn't really have a need to fill in any gaps. I know that probably doesn't help you now but future reference. I'd go with extra hot glue using the hot tip of the gun to smooth it out or try the modge podge ( I haven't tried that yet but sounds legit.

Hey Echo, can i ask where you got your hot knife from? i know it has a US plug on it and im in the UK but i cant seem to find any like you have shown anywhere.
many thanks

somewhere on here there's a thread where someone had used tape to help get cleaner seams. If someone knows where it's at, it's got some great advice. Basically, they used tape-(sticky enough to hold the pieces but NOT stick to the foam and damage it), and taped the pieces together then turned the piece over and glued everything. The result was pretty dang clean. I'll keep looking to see if I can find it.

ran into the same problem when i started out too.
1st, make sure that your using the low heat setting for your glue gun. if it doesnt have a heat setting. throw it in the garbage and get one that does.
2nd, make sure that you push the outside together before the inside. glue in small sections. 1-3 inches
3rd, pinch your seems together until they meet and maybe push out glue.
4th, use the tip of the glue gun to reheat the glue so that you can pinch the edge back together.

Grave thanks for these tips i had the exact same problems last night. I have one other question for you. I'm using some of stealth's files to build an iron man and I wanted to know if you should actually make the small cuts from the pepakura piece that are used to help get the paper to fold the correct way? I tried not doing it at first and it made the pieces the wrong size when i tried to put them together. Then when i did add the cuts it was a problem getting them to stick together. FYI i'm using the 1/4 inch foam that people recommended.

Endo. basically, cut out the template exactly how it is. when you are cutting the foam, do the same.
before you glue anything, ,check to see how the edges fit together. you will probably have to cut an edge off one or both sides so that it will fit right. test it out on a couple of pieces.
after a bit youll get the idea.
looks like im going to have to start that new tutorial sooner then later.

ok guys. im going to start preparing stuff for a more in depth video tutorial for foam. i was planning on doing this later when i start my next project. but there has been a lot of questions lately.
so here is what i want you guys to do. go to my facebook link and post question of what you want to see in the tutorials. try not to double post stuff.
as i get stuff submitted, i will prepare for making the videos. they will be in parts/stages of a build. i wont be making any actual project, just building random parts so that you can learn what you need.
so get to it guys! ill start working on the videos as soon as i get stuff from you guys. faster you guys submit, fast ill get stuff out.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back