Seam lines in foam builds???

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by redbridge1, May 8, 2012.

1. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

Hi brahs and shebrahs!! gotta ask before I continue further with my suit, the lines where foam armor pieces joins, will they be less visible when i seal the armor with a few coats of pva glue if you know what I mean???

Will the glue fill in the gaps as it drys?

2. firebapx

firebapx Well-Known Member

the glue dosnt really fill them in but xrobots new plastic coating method does to a certain extent

3. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

ran into the same problem when i started out too.
    1st, make sure that your using the low heat setting for your glue gun. if it doesnt have a heat setting. throw it in the garbage and get one that does.
    2nd, make sure that you push the outside together before the inside. glue in small sections. 1-3 inches
    3rd, pinch your seems together until they meet and maybe push out glue.
    4th, use the tip of the glue gun to reheat the glue so that you can pinch the edge back together.

you may have a small groove, but that typical. you can try to add some extra hot glue to cover the gap and smooth it out with the hot tip. if there is still a tiny gap you can gradually fill it with modge podge untill its smooth.

good luck. anything else, just ask

also, im not sure what your build is, but you may want to look into thinner foam.

4. sterling archer

sterling archer Active Member

You could also use paintable caulking to fill in the gaps.

Riceball likes this.
  5. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

dont use caulking. it makes a big mess and its not flexible enough. made that mistake with my war machine helmet

6. Vinom11

Vinom11 Active Member

I find that getting the cleanest cut possible helps also. Always keep sharp blades and cut slowly.

7. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

Vinom11 is right. buy the big packs of blades. and change the often. ive used about 60 on my gundam. unless you want to try a heat-knife

8. McAullay

McAullay New Member

I'm having the same drama but I'm assuming from the look of the awesome foam builds on here it's a learning curve that will bring along the clean builds in the future.

9. StarksWarehouse

StarksWarehouse Active Member

hey, there was a thread not long ago from a guy that used tape to hold the edges together while the clue dried and that looked pretty clean, il see if i can find it back up for you.

10. StarksWarehouse

11. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

Definitely check out that thread ^ I bought a Hot knife
    https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/i...TXyn_DKKqntg3fs_oz9IfkK6bc-osZWvpm678L4zQ9VVI
    and it works perfect for clean cuts. clean cuts and the method above and you shouldn't really have a need to fill in any gaps. I know that probably doesn't help you now but future reference. I'd go with extra hot glue using the hot tip of the gun to smooth it out or try the modge podge ( I haven't tried that yet but sounds legit.

12. StarksWarehouse

Hey Echo, can i ask where you got your hot knife from? i know it has a US plug on it and im in the UK but i cant seem to find any like you have shown anywhere.
    many thanks

13. XRobots

XRobots Well-Known Member

I found one on eBay in the UK: Antex Hot Knife | eBay

14. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

i found a hot-knife Lowes

15. Jathoris

Jathoris Well-Known Member

somewhere on here there's a thread where someone had used tape to help get cleaner seams. If someone knows where it's at, it's got some great advice. Basically, they used tape-(sticky enough to hold the pieces but NOT stick to the foam and damage it), and taped the pieces together then turned the piece over and glued everything. The result was pretty dang clean. I'll keep looking to see if I can find it.

16. Jathoris

Jathoris Well-Known Member

17. endo500

endo500 Active Member

Grave thanks for these tips i had the exact same problems last night. I have one other question for you. I'm using some of stealth's files to build an iron man and I wanted to know if you should actually make the small cuts from the pepakura piece that are used to help get the paper to fold the correct way? I tried not doing it at first and it made the pieces the wrong size when i tried to put them together. Then when i did add the cuts it was a problem getting them to stick together. FYI i'm using the 1/4 inch foam that people recommended.

18. StarksWarehouse

Thanks again James. wasnt too impressed with the pin style cutter on that one, so i did a search for antex hot knife and found one with a proper blade Antex Hot Cutting Knife
    So think i might order one of those soon and see how it goes :).

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  19. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

Endo. basically, cut out the template exactly how it is. when you are cutting the foam, do the same.
    before you glue anything, ,check to see how the edges fit together. you will probably have to cut an edge off one or both sides so that it will fit right. test it out on a couple of pieces.
    after a bit youll get the idea.
    looks like im going to have to start that new tutorial sooner then later.

20. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

ok guys. im going to start preparing stuff for a more in depth video tutorial for foam. i was planning on doing this later when i start my next project. but there has been a lot of questions lately.
    so here is what i want you guys to do. go to my facebook link and post question of what you want to see in the tutorials. try not to double post stuff.
    as i get stuff submitted, i will prepare for making the videos. they will be in parts/stages of a build. i wont be making any actual project, just building random parts so that you can learn what you need.
    so get to it guys! ill start working on the videos as soon as i get stuff from you guys. faster you guys submit, fast ill get stuff out.

21. redbridge1

redbridge1 Member

I too wondered this ive been cutting them and regluing sometmimes with a 45 degree angle on one side depending on the place. But yes a definitive answer would be nice!!!

22. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

no problem. once people start posting on my wall of what they want to see. you all will have answers

23. Indigogyre

Indigogyre Well-Known Member

Bad news is there is no definitive answer to the degree of the cut. For the Helmet's I've taken to making some of the cuts longer then originally designed so the fit together smoother. You can also leave one side at a 90 degree angle and slightly undercut the other side to help with the seam and also getting it to curve a bit more.

It would be awesome to have an assembly guide but the best thing at the end of the day is to just so different methods of how to seam something. If you give someone enough options then it would go a long way in how they can put something together.

Personally, There are the back parts of the Iron Man armor where I have no clue how everyone can get them put together but cutting all that foam is also a good experience.

I have ideas on how to make things easier, I just need to research them to se if they will work to release to the community.

Dean

24. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

i use scissors for my angle cuts. so there is no real angle. but it works perfectly fine and ive had no problems.

still waiting on questions so that i can start these tutorials.

25. Grave

Grave Well-Known Member

26. Marzipan

Marzipan New Member

I used caulk on my breast plate following a different tutorial. It's a mess. How did you remove it from craft foam

27. Riceball

Riceball Sr Member

If you watch both EvilTed and Punished Props on YouTube, they both recommend using a Dremel type too lto get rid of raised edges then fill in any gaps using Kwik Seal, which is a bathroom caluking/sealing material that cleans up with water. It's flexible when dried, can be sanded (to a degree), you can smooth it with a wet finger or a squeege, and once dry it's completely waterproof.

George likes this.