MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

It's not the same dog. In 1955, it's Copernicus, and in 1985, it's Einstein.

Beat me to it.

Mostly the "Stunt" decal is seen in Part III. You get a really good look when Marty holds it out by the side of the Railroad Delorean for Doc to catch.

Roland will you be selling "upgrade" kits that include both new stickers as well as proper velcro?

I was watching BTTF3 today and I think the board that most resembles the matty board is the one doc gives to marty before sending him to 1885. He says (did you remember that floating device?) It is non-holographic, has green lines instead of velcro and has the smooshed down strap. anyways worth a look. ...

My upgrade kit will contain decals of the stunt board. That means non-holographic pattern. That Hoverboard version has decals with printed dark green lines. I will be selling different versions of my kit:

- uncut decals, no Velcro (light kit)
- uncut decals plus uncut and not glued green and pink Velcro (regular kit)
- cut decals with cut and glued green and pink Velcro (extended kit)

- and additionally: a sticker for the footpad (completely finished with pink fur, white web and green Velcro)

My upgrade kit will contain decals of the stunt board. That means non-holographic pattern.

Boooooooooooo:thumbsdown

The lenticulating foil is the only thing you are missing from having the best upgrade kit to turn the matty board to presentably perfect.
Is there any possibility for it in the future?:love

Last edited:
Boooooooooooo:thumbsdown

The lenticulating foil is the only thing you are missing from having the best upgrade kit to turn they matty board to presentably perfect.
Is there any possibility for it in the future?:love

If you can persuade Sommers Plastic to produce the same screen accurate stuff again, I would offer a hero version of my decals, too. ;)

I don't want to sell people lenticular material that is just similar.

upgraded hoverboard! done!

DSCF2107_zps708d8581.jpg

DSCF2121_zps3067790b.jpg

DSCF2117_zps228d64c5.jpg

DSCF2116_zps5026c537.jpg

DSCF2113_zps7148cbfe.jpg

DSCF2124_zps355ef8a5.jpg

That's really too bad for Mattel because I would've bought this stunt hoverboard in a heartbeat if their final product looked like that.
Really these improvements are amazing razorsharp. You turned a terrible replica in something that is actually worth a look.
Congrats again.

a quick poke around shows foil on their site LENTICULAR IN ROLLS HONEYCOMB

I dont know enough about how it would get incorporated to pursue further, and tonight i cant look it up.
Anyone have any accurate inside on to how this would be accomplished?

It's a 100-page thread. Plenty of discussion of a solution for obtaining/replicating the lenticular plastic film (not a metallic foil) on prior pages.

Here's a comment I made about 30-pages ago:

There are two suppliers of the 3D lenticular material: Sommer's Plastics (who made it for the film), and Rowtec. Neither are willing to supply the correct material in the correct color in limited quantities, so here are the possibilities:

1) Clock88 has received some silvery purplish pinkish solid polycarbonate lenticular material that looks 99%, if not 100% accurate in color, but at this point in time he is not offering it for sale. At this point he has not stated whether he agreed to pay Sommer's or Rowtec an exhorbitant price to receive samples made to specific color requests, vs. making direct contact with a supplier in China and getting them to custom print samples of increasing accuracy until he got the final color nailed down.

However, he had mentioned that it would be expensive, costing several to many times what the less accurate options below cost. Also, the rows of lenticular cells run in the wrong direction, which impacts the material's desirability considering its high price.

2) Phillipes has recently offered some transparent light purple/lavendar lenticular material that, when applied over a white or reflective aluminum base, looks 90% correct to the lavender color seen on film. He may still have some left. Be aware that this material is a softer plastic compound, likely PVC, than the more accurate polycarbonate material. The original manufacturer of his material has not been specified.

Also, the rows of honeycomb lenticular cells runs in a different direction than those seen on the "money shot" board, though it's possible that all of the lenticular boards had the material applied in random orientations, making row direction irrelevant.

3) Rowtec has three Rowlux Illusion material options that can be used, though they are all of the 3D "sinking" effect, as opposed to the 3D "floating" effect that some have claimed is more accurate (though no definitive evidence has been presented for this claim).

The first is their transparent polycarbonate chrome red color, a dull pink color that looks about 85% correct if applied over a very light gray or reflective aluminum base. The final color will be a bit pinker, and not quite a light purple, as the actual board. This material is available in smaller quantities, but a minimum order is still required (I think $300 worth).

4) Rowtec also makes a hot pink lenticular (called "Passion Pink") which is more of a fuschia. But under any but the brightest lighting conditions, this color usually appears too dark and saturated. Also, it is a special order color that, like Chrome Red, has a minimum order quantity.

5) Lastly, Rowtec makes a Clear 3D sinking Illusion material, and if applied over a light lavender base, looks 90% accurate when viewed from directly overhead. When viewed at a more oblique angle, the base color isn't as visible and looks a bit washed out. However, you can obtain this material from several re-sellers with no minimum order quantity.

Hope this helps in determining the best option for you.

That looks gorgeous! It's the product that SHOULD have shipped. Glad to see you were able to do in a few weeks what a multi-billion dollar multinational corporation could not do in 10 months.

The only other thing I would say it might need is a VERY small (2mm maybe) black or dark grey pinstripe on the bottom edge of the white sides of the footpad (where it meets the deck) to give the illusion of it being a separate piece.

Something like this:

attachment.php

But it's such a tiny stupid change, that you should probably just ignore me. (I usually ignore me, too) :lol

Can't wait to see as more mods roll in from people.

-Nick

That's really too bad for Mattel because I would've bought this stunt hoverboard in a heartbeat if their final product looked like that.
Really these improvements are amazing razorsharp. You turned a terrible replica in something that is actually worth a look.
Congrats again.

Looks 10 times better. You can't see it right now, but I am tipping my hat to you.

Thanks guys :) I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out, it definitely looks a lot better than then standard Matty version

DSCF2113_zps7148cbfe.jpg

That looks gorgeous! It's the product that SHOULD have shipped. Glad to see you were able to do in a few weeks what a multi-billion dollar multinational corporation could not do in 10 months.

The only other thing I would say it might need is a VERY small (2mm maybe) black or dark grey pinstripe on the bottom edge of the white sides of the footpad (where it meets the deck) to give the illusion of it being a separate piece.

Something like this:

attachment.php

But it's such a tiny stupid change, that you should probably just ignore me. (I usually ignore me, too) :lol

Can't wait to see as more mods roll in from people.

-Nick

Thanks :) I agree, Matty should have made it atleast as good looking as that from the start.

You could have suggested that (about the black pinstripe) before i put the bottom sticker on! (so i can't adjust the footpad now) :lol I'm happy with how it looks, like it's sitting on top of the board, although it would be interesting to do to see how it looks

I'm pleased with how it's turned out, it wasn't that much work to be honest, the graphics do most of the work of improving the look on their own, other than that i painted the black hole, re-did the footpad/strap, filled in the recesses so the velcro sits proud on the footpad and board, filed down the tabs where the 2 halves of the board clip together (so that the silver edging looks smoother) and added the silver edge, oh, and there's no longer any scotch tape on it or any overlapping graphics!

Last edited:
You could have suggested that before i put the bottom sticker on! (so i can't adjust the footpad now) :lol I'm happy with how it looks, like it's sitting on top of the board, although it would be interesting to do to see how it looks

This is why nobody should ever listen to me...

The idea is out there now, at least, if someone wants to try it. It's a technique I borrowed from a past life as a stage magic and illusion designer for making things look slimmer than they are. So in theory it should work...I'm just not sure how effective it would be at this scale.

It could be interesting to actually try a pink pinstrip at the bottom as well, to see if that tricks the eye into thinking it's part of the board.

...I may have to start considering modding my board. (Or getting a second just to mod) *gulp*

-Nick

to be honest, i think that just makes it look even more like the footpad is sitting in a hole rather than sitting on top of the board...

Well then maybe pink is the best color to try:

attachment.php

Or maybe grey:

attachment.php

Or how about a greyish pink:

attachment.php

Like I said, there's no guarantee it would work as an optical illusion at this scale, but it might be something interesting for other modders to play around with.

-Nick

Looks amazing. No reason it couldn't have shipped that way. Hey, at least we got a mildly interesting project outta it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back