Superman Returns Crystal 3D model for your review

:) Ok, you're right - like a ooold chinese proverb says: a picture says more than thousand words - in this case the photo of the crystal prototype.

Just was irritated by the odd looking solid render.

i keep going over the cad file and from the traces, i think it's spot on.

only thing that might be off is length/width but i think the facets are there. i like the agreed upon dimms, i think this prop will rock once completed. i honestly don't see you tweaking the file after the proto is completed chris.

bring it on.

:lol

pat.

<div class='quotetop'>(YenChih Lin @ Aug 30 2006, 08:57 AM) [snapback]1309777[/snapback]</div>
A buddy of mine is here a mod - I can't tell anything about where to get the pics - sorry, had promised him.
[/b]

Gotcha, just curious. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(YenChih Lin @ Aug 30 2006, 07:57 AM) [snapback]1309777[/snapback]</div>
A buddy of mine is here a mod - I can't tell anything about where to get the pics - sorry, had promised him.
[/b]
Um, what? I'm a mod on staff, and I can tell you for an absolute fact you don't have a "buddy" here providing any pics.

Get your eggs in a row before you count them.

i think he meant that he cant tell where he got the pics, because a mod told him not to. not that a mod was supplying the pics.

chris

@synasp: read before you rant at me, k? Ask Dave (SurferGeek) - I don't want to piss him off

@chris: thanks for backing me up... that's exactly what I meant.

And thanks for the flowers, next time I support nobody out of just being nice and supportive for RPF - there's no gratitude in the world...

s'cool. been there done that :)

also, just keeping everyone informed, i got the files over to the company, and they think they can make it. they asked me some measurement questions on the crystal (like how long the middle part was, etc), and i have no idea. i asked JSA to take a peek and measure the facets for me, and i will forward the info to them.

so... we are pretty close now :D

chris

wow...

just found out that i was a little mistaken on the crystal.

its not made by importing a 3d cad file into an industrial crystal cutting thing.

each one will be HAND MADE :eek to look like the others. it wont be all an exact match but it will be damned close.

im working out the rough estimates with the factory now to figure out everything like middle width and distance from the ends.

just.... damn i did not expect it to be handmade. these things are BIG and completely clear, and a hell of a bargain considering each one is hand polished and cut. :confused

kinda shocking to hear that. :confused

chris

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Aug 31 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]1310937[/snapback]</div>
wow...

just found out that i was a little mistaken on the crystal.

its not made by importing a 3d cad file into an industrial crystal cutting thing.

each one will be HAND MADE :eek to look like the others. it wont be all an exact match but it will be damned close.

im working out the rough estimates with the factory now to figure out everything like middle width and distance from the ends.

just.... damn i did not expect it to be handmade. these things are BIG and completely clear, and a hell of a bargain considering each one is hand polished and cut. :confused

kinda shocking to hear that. :confused

chris
[/b]

bumpity....

sooooo.... anything more? if the prototype you received was done in the same manner i'm not following how that'd differ from the file JSA sent you.

pat.

not really following the question JH.

i thought the crystals (all of them the factory offered) were done by an industrial cutting thingie. they are hand made instead. they just use the "blueprint" as a reference to look at while making it.

as far as anything new, not really. projects sort of stalled until i hear back from them, and start getting deposits together for the next prototype.

im going to email them later and find out whats up.
chris

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Sep 5 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]1313360[/snapback]</div>
not really following the question JH.

i thought the crystals (all of them the factory offered) were done by an industrial cutting thingie. they are hand made instead. they just use the "blueprint" as a reference to look at while making it.

as far as anything new, not really. projects sort of stalled until i hear back from them, and start getting deposits together for the next prototype.

im going to email them later and find out whats up.
chris
[/b]

ok, that was my question... i didn't understand that all of them were made free hand

B)

i guess that means it'll take longer?

actually, not really. its still about a week or so turnaround regardless of the amount we order.

dont ask me how, but they can knock these out pretty fast.

new thread in the JY about the new prototype, and deposits needed.

chris

<div class='quotetop'>(hydin @ Sep 6 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]1314120[/snapback]</div>
actually, not really. its still about a week or so turnaround regardless of the amount we order.

dont ask me how, but they can knock these out pretty fast.

new thread in the JY about the new prototype, and deposits needed.

chris
[/b]

off to read, thanks chris.

B)

hokay, big thanks again to the prototype donations/deposits.

i ordered it tonight. should be roughly a week or more till its finished out, and i get pics of it sent to me :)

shortly after that, i will have a lovely box from DHL filled with crystal goodness, and i will again spam the board like crazy with photos :D

chris

copying from the JY

ok...

slight update.

talked with the factory rep today. found out the prototype MAY be made in dark blue or black just to make sure they nail all the facets down. it also might be made in clear. she isnt sure. mainly clear is going to make getting all the facet work detail down sort of a pain. if there is a finished prototype to work off of, its a lot easier for them to replicate. so... this one may pop up to be a black color or a dark blue.

kinda weird, but also kinda cool.

but, the big point is, its being made soon :D

i told em to take all the time they needed, 2 weeks if needed, 2 1/2 weeks, whatever it takes to nail down that cad file and the various drawings/measurements listed to them. they are going to take thier time and make damned sure this is the final/best prototype around.

if its black, itll be hard to photograph but it will at least let me know if they got the facets correct. kinda nifty ;)

thanks.
chris

PICS.......

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

tip.jpg

:D

chris

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back