ROTJ Speederbike reference needed

Email replied, Matt.

Man, I wish that rear 3/4 view (bottom-left photo) wasn't cut out where it is. It would solve my argument about the angled 312B panel! :)

Joe

Last edited:
Joe i agree that is the 312b curved silver part, is that the part you mean lol, if so im on your page!
Lovely pics Matt, and thankyou for posting them, think were all very turned onto this one now!

Lee

Joe i agree that is the 312b curved silver part, is that the part you mean lol, if so im on your page!
Lovely pics Matt, and thankyou for posting them, think were all very turned onto this one now!

Lee

Not sure what silver part you're referring to, Lee. I'm actually talking about the upper 312B part.

Here's what I am seeing.....

First the blueprint which we have determined share way more details with the maquette than we thought.

sb-study-body-9.jpg

This is what I think the 312B body panel looks like.

sb-study-body-7.jpg

sb-study-body-8.jpg

Look closely and you can make out what I mean.

I apologize, I'm not trying to force this...it's just my theory. I wish that pic wasn't cut out so we could see for sure. If I'm wrong, I'm not too proud to admit it.

At least that new rear shot shows that the 312B part tucks underneath the 312T nose.

Joe

Oh my god! Seeing as what we have been able to do with the few pictures we had, imagine what we could accomplish if we had all those pics....

Marvin

Here's what I am seeing.....

sb-study-body-7.jpg

Joe,

Respectfully gotta disagree with you. It seems really clear to me in the image below that the forward cut to the 312B monocoque is vertical. See in the second image where the visible edges are indicated with the red lines. From the position that picture was taken, if there was any angle in the monocoque it would be apparent. We're fortunate that there's sufficient contrast between the painted body and the "steering mechanics".

Also notice that the port side handlebar is nearly directly above, but just slightly back, from where the cut in the 312B monocoque starts. This matches up as expected in both the "side on" and "3/4" perspective shots. I think the detail parts from the Flak and other bits between the Ferrari parts are causing the confusion with the side view.

Occam's razor.

spdr312b.jpg

spdr312b2.jpg

Have to agree with Allan on the lower bodywork cut, id say 90 too.

Joe, sorry bud was mooching on my phone at work in a rush, what i meant was the back of the bike, in that underside piccie, im thinking thats a crankcasing, ie a silver sprue piece from one of the Ferrari's maybe?

lee

Yes that's what I'm seeing too. If that speck that Joes sees as the upper corner of the proposed slant of the 312B part, it extends to in front of the mystery part. In that case we should also see it in the 3/4 view right?

For me it's the three vertical lines that led me to believe the cut is vertical, just like Allan sees it. I can't be 100% certain and I'm not cutting yet, but if we don't get access to more ref that's how I'll cut them.

Marvin

P.S. I just know I've seen that bottom plate at the back of the bike before.... shuttle maybe?

I dont "know" the shuttle Marvin, its the one kit ive got enroute as i never had one.
Just looked like a 1/12 crankcase to my eye.

lee

Yeah I thought maybe the Entex/Minicraft shuttle, but the parts is too big to be one of the dividing walls of the shuttle.

I've got to admit I don't know what a Crack case does or is (probably houses something that cranks...), but I've looked at the 1/12 kits and scans that I have and haven't been able to find it. Although the Lola does have one part it could have been cut from...

Marvin

Circled in blue are the same cutouts in the 312 bottom from different angles.

spdr312b3.jpg

Alan,

I can't tell but do you see any visual clues that tell you if the alignment tab just in front of the blue circle (between the cutouts) is still on the model or has been filed away?

Marvin

I totally understand. Believe me, I may sound set in my way concerning the 312B but it is a battle as I'm trying to convince myself to see it both ways! :) The way you guys see it is what I thought it was from the beginning. All in all, I think I'll hold out for newer ref....fingers still crossed.....hehe, not a bad prediction back in post #91, huh?

As for the curved plate....the old 1/12 Porsche Carrera-10 had a curved part....not a total match but somewhat similar.

sb-study-possibledonor-1.jpg

Joe

Last edited:
The Polaroid of the underside makes me suspect even more that the main engine body (under the BT46 body) is two half's of vacuformed plastic. The texture and how it looks in the side view reminds me so much of the vacuformed shell of the ROJ BG ship when I was putting it together. It's not from the lightning, but I suspect it may be from another lager scale model that is made of balsa wood with vacuform coverings. Perhaps another Guillow's flying model...

Last edited:
Alan,

I can't tell but do you see any visual clues that tell you if the alignment tab just in front of the blue circle (between the cutouts) is still on the model or has been filed away?

Marvin

I think they left it, as is. But, compared to my position that the 312B body has a vertical cut (100% sure), I'm not as confident on the tab being there (75% sure). Unless that tab interferes with some of the parts that comprise the steering mech, then I believe the motivation would be to leave it alone because it adds more visual interest.

All of that said, I think I can see it in the 3/4 pic.

Yes I see a small step too, which should be the tab. And I agree about the additional visual interest. I'm leaving it on.

BTW, been hacking away at the 312B and 312T pieces but especially the 312T piece is a bit hard to get into the right shape. The bottom thickness because really thin if you sand away the lip.... and what to do with that front.... I had initially glued the 312T kit part on there that's in the kit, but if you sand it to shape there's not much left. I think Johnston just filled it in with putty and sanded to shape....

Marvin

Last edited:
Marvin, I'm planning to sand the 312T part to follow the curve of the cockpit body after I attach the nose and reinforce it a bit with Apoxie Sculpt.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back