Sculpting a Star Wars cantina alien for Sideshow...

TomSpinaDesigns

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

So, a lot of the old timers here on the RPF probably remember me as being a big Star Wars cantina fan (still am!). We had a wonderful opportunity recently and it has been one of those great times where your passion and work intersect.

Today we've updated our site with a gallery of behind the scenes shots of our work on Sideshow's latest life sized Star Wars bust - "Figrin D'an" (better known as a "Cantina Band Member" to many of us!)

Years ago, Brian Lewis created a (great!) fan sculpt of the character. Some time later, Brian and I got to see and handle one of the original masks at Bob Burns' place. Ever since then, he and I were both itching to have another go at the character.

When the opportunity to work on a licensed bust of Figrin D'an came to be, we were thrilled to revisit the character. We tried to be really faithful to the original film mask's look while maintaining the level of detail that Sideshow customers have come to expect.

Sideshow's a fantastic company (of course, I'm biased! LOL), and the folks there have a passion for these characters that rivals and sometimes surpasses our own. That made the project a dream to work on.

Please check out the gallery on our site (and click the banner on that page to order a bust or just see Sideshow's photos!)

Star Wars Cantina Band Member Life Size Bust for Sideshow Collectibles

As with most of our projects, a few talented people helped create this:

Brian Lewis and I did the sculpture.

The molds were done by Rich Krusell (of Gotham FX)

The paint masters were done by me

and the costume was done by the talented Kitty Herbert

Thanks to each of them for their effort and dedication and thanks to you for reading :)

best,
Tom

The sculpture:

Sideshow-Star-Wars-Figrin-Dan-Bust-Sculpture-1_1.jpg

One of the paint masters:

Sideshow-Star-Wars-Figrin-Dan-Bust-Sculpture-9_1.jpg

Brian and I with the finished proto:
Sideshow-Star-Wars-Figrin-Dan-Bust-Sculpture-11.jpg

Last edited:
I saw that several days back and thought it was awesome. That's really cool you guys got to do it. I just wish I had a the room for some of SS's lifesize busts! I still have the old Legends in 3D version.

That is awesome, Tom! Your talents have gotten greater with the years.I still look fondly on the Devaronian and Snaggy masks I bought from you hundreds of years ago. You've always done such great work.

Best,
Nathan

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back