Kolchak: The Night Stalker - His Gear

My head hurts...as do my eyes, but I've figured it out. Everyone was wrong. Kolchak's series camera is actually the german Rollei 16mm subminiature camera.
Information and pictures of the camera can be found here:
Rollei 16mm Variations

Next up for me..Identifying the camera he uses in The Night Stalker movie!

- Paul

kolchak002.jpg
[/IMG]
kolchak003.jpg

kolchak001.jpg

kolchak004.jpg

There's pictures from my Sony TC 40 Cassette Recorder for those interested. It's a cool recorder, made even cooler by the fact that it's Kolchak's recorder!

- Paul

Great Job!

I just got the series on DVD and was going to do some serious studying but you nailed it!

Back in the 70's at the camera shop I frequented a lot of pro's from AP and UPI shopped there as well and one of them told me it looked like some off-shoot that was not 110 but 16mm as he had seen one a few years back.

Every one there that he was nuts! :lol

My head hurts...as do my eyes, but I've figured it out. Everyone was wrong. Kolchak's series camera is actually the german Rollei 16mm subminiature camera.
Information and pictures of the camera can be found here:
Rollei 16mm Variations

Next up for me..Identifying the camera he uses in The Night Stalker movie!

- Paul

Well my awesome wife surprised me on my birthday yesterday with Kolchak's camera! That's the Rollei 16...16mm submini camera made in Germany. This is the series camera. In the movie he used a Nikon. I've identified the big blocky flash...which unfortunately for me wasn't the standard flash that came with this camera. I hope to purchase one this week and provide pics soon!
- Paul

Ok..after numerous viewings, Kolchak's tennis shoes are Adidas Stan Smith's....white with green logo and lettering!
- Paul
p.s. best part? You can still get them!

"THIS nut thinks he's a VAMPIRE!" The original NS movie scared the living hell out of me. And the Jack The Ripper one was pretty good too. The series was hit and miss. Some of those monsters were really lame. But over all, much love for the show. Cool to see this thread!

You got a keeper for a wife!

I saw the exact flash on e-bay a few weeks ago.

What peeves me off is the hat

Back in the 70's you could buy that stupid thing at 7-11 for 5 bucks.

Now it seems the only option is Baron's :unsure

Well my awesome wife surprised me on my birthday yesterday with Kolchak's camera! That's the Rollei 16...16mm submini camera made in Germany. This is the series camera. In the movie he used a Nikon. I've identified the big blocky flash...which unfortunately for me wasn't the standard flash that came with this camera. I hope to purchase one this week and provide pics soon!
- Paul

Paul, do you know how the flash is attached to the camera?

It looks like it has to have a mount for it or is it the tripod adapter?

There was a Rollei flash on the bay 2 weeks ago but it looks different then the one in your caps.

I was watching the one about the alien when I was surfing the web and it looked like it matched, gotta go back and re-watch that one.

Last edited:
Ok, here goes, I actually have the big black square flash. It IS a Rollei flash gun. According to the Rollei 16 manual....it was never intended to use an external flash. It actually came with a small one that I also have. The Tripod adaptor is needed, and I believe a bracket. I'm waiting on the tripod adaptor in the mail. I just want to get a really good look before I accidentally drop money on an incorrect bracket. The original manual shows no such brackets or flash, and it appears these were taken from another Rollei camera. Am I making sense?

If you do a search for Kolchak on ebay right now, there's a Kolchak hat under 20 bucks I think. It's not as nice as the Baron's one (which is being made for me...yes..I spent the money) but it's pretty solid. It's too small for my head though. It might fit you, check it out!

Oh! New developments....I'm pretty positive I've identified Carl's tennis shows as Stan Smith Adidas. Green heel and green "Adidas Stan Amith" tag on the tongue of the shoe. The best part is, you can still get repro's of these! There's a pretty goof picture of them on the cover of "Night Stalking: A 20th Anniversary Kolchak Companion".

Watching "Legacy Of Terror" a few nights ago, I noticed they made a point of showing the face of his watch several times. Darned if I know what it is though. I saw no brand name.

Yes perfect sense.

Thanks for the lead on the hat but that is too small for my big head! :lol

Just ordered a Barons one as well.

If you do a search for Kolchak on ebay right now, there's a Kolchak hat under 20 bucks I think. It's not as nice as the Baron's one (which is being made for me...yes..I spent the money) but it's pretty solid. It's too small for my head though. It might fit you, check it out!

Awesome! I'm totally pumped to get my hat....now the waiting game. Do you plan on getting anything else?
- Paul

Getting the Camera and flash for now.

I'll probably end up getting the Addidas and a seersucker suit to pimp around town just to see if anybody gets it! :lol

If I ever make it to Dragon-Con again it will be my costume of the day

I belong to a Ghostbusters group in Philly, PA.....and my plan is to do Kolchak for the local horror cons. They tend to be smaller and this will be easier to maneuver through dealer rooms and signing rooms with than a Proton Pack!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back