"Atlas Shrugged" out on Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the reason we can't have nice things. I.E. Political Discussions, which I have yet to mention.
Not the first time you've misunderstood what I said Guri.
I suggest you use the ignore function so you don't have to be assaulted by my sweeping, insulting generalizations.

Laffo.

Last edited:
Kerr,
I would show you how all these numbers and grosses and reviews effect business and Film Buying but it would be a waste of time. I'd show you reports and real data, but it would be pointless.
You've already made plans to see "the sequels made later," (actually the rest of the Novel in additional 2 parts, not sequels), buy the DVD and go with friends. You've already made up your mind and are not objective.
Ironically it's the very people championing this Movie about Government and BUSINESS, and that posted a link to a table with figures in 3 columns devoted to how much momentum Movies lose after the first week that don't have a realistic view of what's going on with this Film's opening weekend.
To be clear, this Movie means no more of less to me than the new Arthur. I look at it as a commodity.
You guys as Ayn Rand fans cannot do that. I've yet to run across one of you guys that can be objective about it.

The people who disagree with you aren't necessarily wrong..

What's going on with the opening weekend is clear, the data is there for everyone to see. No matter what you say, it doesn't change the fact that the percentage of take was pretty significant for such a small distribution. It doesn't change the fact that Fandango was shocked to see that 15% of pre movie sales was for "Atlas Shrugged." It seems that this is more than a commodity to you, that you have to downplay the fact that it's been significantly more successful on a theatre take basis than you and others want to admit. Maybe you have personal issues with the material, maybe not, I don't know, and frankly don't care. I've not said it's a perfect movie, nor have I said it'll be a smash hit. I have simply pointed out that math shows it performed at #3 based on a little mathematical analysis. We don't have the second week to look at, but yes, it's entirely possible and likely that the sales will fall with each week. We don't have the data yet, however, so I am not going to write it off as dead yet.

And yes, I'll see the sequels to this movie if they are made. And sorry, the book was a book, when you have multiple movies that follow each other in a consecutive order those of us in the know about movies call those 'sequels.' Funny that a theatre owner doesn't know that.

Meh, might as well let it die here. Considering how utterly one-sided this debate has been without even one cogent arguement from the Randians, I don't see much point in continuing further.

All we ever did get were some vague conspiracy-theory intimations that 'it's all really happening now' without any kind of explanation. :rolleyes

My response was more about your sweeping, insulting generalization about all Ayn Rand fans. :rolleyes

This is exactly why we can't talk politics on this board.

If anyone wants to discuss this movie via PM, I'm all for it, but I'm done here.

Silencing people who appreciate Rand is likely the very intention. I recommend taking the suggested action of putting Laffo on ignore. It's not like you'd miss anything important.

I guess the producer failed to remember that movies are made to generate their return on the opening weekend and possibly their second weekend.

That's it. That's Hollywood and the viewing public.

Gone are the days of Star Wars and the headlines "60th Straight Week"...

Yeah, unfortunate but not completely unexpected. I really think they'd have done better making it a two parter cutting it at Dagny's crash at Galt's Gulch. I really wanted Francisco's speech on film too.

Ah well, what can you expect from a nation of moochers and looters. Sometimes the material is too far above the populace.

He should have known it would only appeal to a select group of people. Disappointing that he isn't making it for the message and to finally put the novel on screen. I guess it's a very expensive fan film.

Ah well, what can you expect from a nation of moochers and looters. Sometimes the material is too far above the populace.

Yeah, the concepts are too complicated, (one of the reasons this Novel is assigned to read in High School). There's no way that some the Principle Actors being hired two days before they started shooting, or that the Director's hire a week before they rolled could have been the problem. The fault lies with the "populace" not getting it, not that an un-engaging, mess of a movie was made.

I'd liked to have seen the Novel adapted artfully - it would have been possible to do. It would also be nice for there to be more bright spots in the sea of crap that Hollywood churns out, especially Independents. But I forget of course, Kerr Avon has pegged my motivation as "Silencing people who appreciate Rand," along with my sweeping triviality of course.
He knows me better than I know myself. Good for him.

Hmmm, I guess maybe I DO know something about the business of exhibiting and buying film.

Well, got to get back to it. This mooching and looting isn't gonna thieve and dole itself,
Laffo.

Yeah, the concepts are too complicated, (one of the reasons this Novel is assigned to read in High School). There's no way that some the Principle Actors being hired two days before they started shooting, or that the Director's hire a week before they rolled could have been the problem. The fault lies with the "populace" not getting it, not that an un-engaging, mess of a movie was made.

I doubt there is a public school in the country that assigns this book to read. It'd undue to much of the damage they do to the students. And yes, too much of the populace is too distracted with what the ***** Snooki is doing next on Jersey Shore, or who is being voted off Dancing with Stars, or any number of other mindless distractions that have been carefully calculated to appeal to the lowest mindset. Distract people from seeing how much they pay in taxes, distract people from the important arguments. Don't give them the knowledge they need in the debate, make it class warfare and wealth envy. Take from the rich to pay for votes from the poor.

Yeah, can't imagine why a book that seeks to reverse those very trends isn't more popular and wouldn't draw a larger crowd.

Well, the thread went over more pages than I thought, but it still seems that we can´t discuss this particular movie without people trying to inject politics into it.

The thread will remain locked.

Michael
RPF staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back