Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    May 25, 2011, 4:22 AM - #101

Zombie_61 said: View Post
    Oh, right. I haven't been to a Lebowskifest (yet), so I hadn't considered the effects of Oat Sodas, Caucasians, and...uh...other things.

If they were mine I'd combine that French Lavendar with either Bahama Blue or Ocean Blue to get more of a blue/violet color. The good thing is you're starting with white material, so you should get reasonably true colors no matter what you decide.

One thing to keep in mind--I'm not familiar with Dylon, but most of the dyes I've used require the use of hot water. If the pants are cotton, they might shrink even if they're used and have been washed numerous times.
    I've used the Dylon before, it's good stuff. You do it in the washing machine, and so far it's always done good job with no shrinkage. So fingers crossed.I'll let you know how I get on!
    May 27, 2011, 1:18 AM - #102

What do you guys think?
    From
    Southern California
    May 27, 2011, 1:48 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #103

Nice! And it doesn't look like they shrunk at all. Well done!

While I'm here, anyone have any luck finding a suitable "close enough" robe? All of the links previously posted lead to "no longer available". I'm basically having three problems:

Price - I've found a few that would work, but I really don't want to spend $100 or more for a robe I'll rarely wear.

Size - I'm 6'1" and on most of the robes I've found the sleeves would be too short. XL or XXL would probably do, but nobody seems to ever have them in stock (if they carry them at all).

Color - An obvious one. I've found robes in "mocha" or "champagne" that would do, but, again, wrong size or too expensive for me. I could easily buy an all white robe and dye it but, again, finding one in my size is proving to be difficult--if I have to dye one, an XXL would be necessary to account for shrinkage from the dyeing process.

I've given up on trying to find one with that rather unique "ribbed" weave; the only place I've seen them is in the photos posted on this thread.
    May 27, 2011, 2:23 AM - #104

Cheers man!
    I'm having robe trouble too. Been hunting for a while now, with no luck. If I do find anything I'll post it here.
    Good luck.
    From
    Southern California
    May 28, 2011, 2:15 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #105

If all else fails, there's always the "made-in-China-probably-not-officially-licensed" robe...

May 28, 2011, 4:01 AM - #106

Haha! It's NASTY!! Love the wig and false beard too!
    From
    Southern California
    May 29, 2011, 12:24 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #107

They come with the robe, as does the tee shirt.

Just for laughs I read a review posted on the site where I got that image. The guy was disappointed because the wig and beard weren't accurate...like you couldn't tell that by looking at the photo.
  8. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    May 29, 2011, 11:51 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #108

I'd rather take that money for the costume and just buy a real robe so I can actually use it after Halloween. I plan on being The Dude for Halloween this year, and my brother is gonna be Walter. I've already written down a list of all the Dude's clothes and am watching some stuff on ebay right now. I don't wanna spend too much cash, but what I really want are those Otomix karate shoes as I don't feel like walking around in slippers (or jellies lol). Problem is they're hard to find. Well, if anything a pair of adidas karate shoes that look just like them will do fine. I have a pair of pajama pants that are the same exact style of shorts he wears towards the end of the film (blue and green checker pattern), and I have an orange v-neck that I'll probably wear. If not, I have some white V's.

The only thing I'm worried about is the hair. I don't feel like buying a wig, but my hair is far too short that it will be long enough by the time Halloween rolls around. I part it to the side right now, as the top is about 3 1/2-4 inches long, but it's much shorter on the sides and the back. I'm hoping that the facial hair, along with the rest of the costume (as well as the white russians I'll be drinking that night) will be enough to tip people off. For me it's getting through the summer without cutting it that's gonna be tough. I'll wait until the end of summer to start growing the facial hair, as 2 months is enough time for that to grow.
    From
    Southern California
    May 29, 2011, 9:55 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #109

Tylerdurden389 said: View Post
    I'd rather take that money for the costume and just buy a real robe so I can actually use it after Halloween.
    My thoughts exactly. They're asking quite a bit for such a low-end (and highly inaccurate) costume (the cheapest I've found is $60 U.S.), and you could easily buy a real robe for the same amount or less and get far more value for your money.

At this point I think I'm gonna go the other route and use a hooded sweatjacket instead (like the one The Dude is wearing the first time he meets with the "big" Lebowski). First, because I can't remember the last time I actually wore a bathrobe; I'd get far more use out of a sweatjacket. Second, because finding a white sweatjacket and dyeing it to the proper green color will probably be easier and less expensive at this point.

The only thing I'm worried about is the hair. I don't feel like buying a wig, but my hair is far too short that it will be long enough by the time Halloween rolls around. I part it to the side right now, as the top is about 3 1/2-4 inches long, but it's much shorter on the sides and the back. I'm hoping that the facial hair, along with the rest of the costume (as well as the white russians I'll be drinking that night) will be enough to tip people off. For me it's getting through the summer without cutting it that's gonna be tough. I'll wait until the end of summer to start growing the facial hair, as 2 months is enough time for that to grow.
    My hair will be more than long enough by the time Halloween rolls around and, except for having to grow the "goatee" longer, so will my facial hair. My moustache and beard grow thicker than Bridges', so I'll actually have to trim my moustache back somewhat. My hair is a very dark brown though (admittedly with a little gray), so that will detract from the look a bit. If I stood a chance at winning some cash at a contest or if I was going to a Lebowskifest I'd consider having it bleached, but I don't want to go through the hassle just to hang out at a friend's party for Halloween. Besides, only a few people will know who I'll be dressed as anyway, so my hair color really won't be an issue. It will be fun to stay in character all night and keep them wondering though.

My problem, as far as Halloween is concerned, is that I'm an idiot. What I mean is, every year I start planning my costume months in advance, gather the necessary items, get it all ready, and every year I suddenly lose interest and decide I want to do something completely different in the second or third week of October. This year...well, I guess I'll just have to abide. Besides, I can't think of a more comfortable way to spend Halloween than to be dressed as The Dude.
    Last edited by Zombie_61; Jun 4, 2011 at 12:39 AM.
    Jun 3, 2011, 9:13 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #110

I'm at LebowskiFest Philadelphia right now, there's a few Dude's here. Just wondering if there might be anyone here.
    Jun 4, 2011, 3:29 AM - #111

CrowTeeRobot said: View Post
    I'm at LebowskiFest Philadelphia right now, there's a few Dude's here. Just wondering if there might be anyone here.
    Cool! Wish I was there! Hope you post some pics mate.
    From
    Southern California
    Jun 4, 2011, 8:33 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #112

^ Same here. I need to go to the Los Angeles Lebowskifest one of these days.
    From
    Philly
    Jun 4, 2011, 10:44 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #113

I was at the TLA last night, CrowTeeRobot. Good time.
    Jun 5, 2011, 12:19 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #114

At the Theater of Living Arts in Philly for the first night, which is music and the movie screening.

Picked myself up a Japanese baseball shirt like the Dude wears.

The music they had was done by Chipocrite, which was songs from the soundtracks made with Gameboy technology, very techno-ey.

The Dude and his Special Lady Friend after the showing.

Mmmm... white russian...

This guy looked just like The Stranger (Sam Elliot), he even had a bottle of Sioux City Sarsparilla!

This guy was the Walter who won the costume contest, he got so excited when he saw that I had an actual Folgers tin.

This guy was dressed as an In 'N Out Burger fry cook. Awesome.

This guy was personally my favorite Dude there, we actually talked for quite a while, great guy.

A nihilist threatening to "****s me up!"

Me and my buddy, The Dude.

All in all, I had a pretty good time, just wish my buddies could've made it. Oh well, there's always next year. (And I hear whisperings of a possible NYC Fest near the end of the year.) Abide, everyone.
  15. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Jun 5, 2011, 7:21 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #115

If there's a NYC fest I am TOTALLY there.
    Jun 6, 2011, 7:53 AM - #116

Found a good tshirt! Really ties the outfit together. Just need some of those sneaks now.
    Jun 6, 2011, 10:30 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #117

captjamesbrooke said: View Post
    Found a good tshirt! Really ties the outfit together. Just need some of those sneaks now.
    Outstanding, sir. And I think we might have the same slippers.

If you look around, you can find pairs of adidas martial arts shoes that are pretty darn close to the otomix shoes.

eg: These look pretty close and have laces.

Edit: Didn't want to double post, so here's some photos by the local news of the fest. http://www.myphl17.com/entertainment...-philadelphia/
    Last edited by CrowTeeRobot; Jun 6, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Jun 6, 2011, 10:35 AM - #118

Outstanding, sir. And I think we might have the same slippers.

If you look around, you can find pairs of adidas martial arts shoes that are pretty darn close to the otomix shoes.
    Haha! Slipper Club! Man they are super comfy!
    Cheers I'll have a look at the adidas, not had any luck with the otomix.
    Still looking for a robe too.
    Glad you had a good time at the fest! Looks loads of fun.
  19. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Jun 6, 2011, 11:17 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #119

Otomix Original Martial Art Shoes - White

If you got the cash and they have them in your size, here ya go.
    Jun 6, 2011, 11:24 AM - #120

Otomix Original Martial Art Shoes - White

If you got the cash and they have them in your size, here ya go.
    Thanks for that man, super good of you. Sadly they don't have my size damn it!!
    From
    Southern California
    Jun 7, 2011, 12:33 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #121

While we're on the subject of the Dude's footwear, I picked up a pair of Okabashi sandals like Icey mentioned way back in post #10. Rather than the "Milan" sandal that Icey linked to, I went with their "Torino" because I thought it was a closer match without really having to do any modification:

Torino

If you can find them in your local CVS or Walgreen's (I visited several before I found a pair in my size in the style I was looking for), they're only $11-$12. They're reasonably comfortable, but on the top side of the soles there are little bumps laid out in a "grid" pattern where the arches and balls of your feet make contact. I don't know if their intended purpose is massage, reflexology, or simply to provide more grip (so they don't slip off of your feet), but after wearing my sandals for 5-10 minutes I found these bumps irritating. And I don't have sensitive feet--I walk barefooted a lot and have no problems walking on all but the hottest of pavement, and I've even walked through broken glass (not intentionally) without a scratch. In all fairness, I rarely wear sandals so maybe it's just something I'd have to get used to. But just in case, I'm looking into a pair of those hideous "jelly" sandals.
  22. RPF Premium Member slimesquare's Avatar
    Jun 14, 2011, 12:56 PM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #122

if you guys are still looking for ideas for the sweaters I found a local person (AZ) on craigslist who will knit it if you have the pattern (which can be found on-line), and if you buy the materials. He charges $200 which I dont feel is a bad price, since even the incorrect colored ones on ebay people are trying to get $150-$399
    Jun 23, 2011, 10:25 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #123

The nice guy from the local news actually gave me a card with this website written on it after he took a picture of me, lots of good photos there: Lebowski Fest 2011 from Philadelphia. Photos, Videos, and What Have You dedicated to the Big Lebowski - WPHL

From
    Vermont, USA
    Jun 23, 2011, 10:30 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #124

Luke Yount, 21, Warwick, NY, attends his first ever Lebowski Fest in Philadelphia. He was too young to catch the NY Fest last year. Luke got his Dude sweater on ebay for $50 bucks.
    Man, when are us young guys going to catch a break?

...Oh yeah, when we're older
    Jun 23, 2011, 10:41 AM - Re: The Big Lebowski "The Dude" Costume Thread #125

Agent RayBans said: View Post
    Man, when are us young guys going to catch a break?

...Oh yeah, when we're older
    I know, right?

gusmoney said: View Post
    I was at the TLA last night, CrowTeeRobot. Good time.
    Aww man, sorry I missed you, where were you at?