The Big Lebowski Costume Thread

Wait this is considered a costume? lol I used to know tons of dudes who lived in bath robes khakis t-shirts shades with a odd Sweater tossed into the wardrobe.

Oh well Love the movie one of my favs.

eclipsedave and Trudy, you two are on FIRE!! :cool

I re-discovered this thread while gettin' ready for Lebowski Fest, and thanks to you, eclipsedave, I can 'upgrade' my beeper to the correct model.

I have a generic bag phone I typically carry along...this Dude bein' lazy and all, I haven't tried to figure the exact one used in TBL. Has anybody else pinned it down yet?

Abide,

Art
'Jon8712'

eclipsedave, I messaged them today and got a response relatively quickly:

Good evening

Order Received

We are evaluating the costs of transport, will let you know the costs that we will ask the courier DHL.

Thanks
Greetings

So it sounds like they're asking the courier for a price estimate. Excellent!

Jon, I'll take a look at the blu-ray sometime this weekend and try and get a good shot of it. Hopefully us Lebowski aficionados can figure it out, or at least find a passable equivalent.

Jon, the bag phone mystery just might be above my pay level. I'll review the flick and see what condition my bag phone is iiiiiiiiiiin.

Trudy, I just now received the same email, so this Otomix shoe purchase should work out fine. Hopefully their 38 truly is a US 6½, man.

LOL, thanks e.d. and Trudy. I'll also try to check my TBLBD next week, got some birthday funnin' to attend to this weekend. Glad you both are getting your Otomixs!

Art
'Jon8712'

Motorola Bravo Plus
2014-01-19 21.58.31.png
2014-01-19 21.58.01.png

Attachments

• PicsArt_1390197016775.jpg
    PicsArt_1390197016775.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 129
  • PicsArt_1390197115653.jpg
    PicsArt_1390197115653.jpg
    459.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Good catch. I also watched the Bluray tonight and jotted down the pager. I used that same damn pager in 1996 when I was a messenger in NYC. I am digging through boxes to see if it made the last move from east coast to midwest. I'll post a photo when I locate it (fingers crossed my hoarding served me well over the years).

-zen

Mark it 8, Dude! I cracked the mystery pager. It's Pagenet. I got the blu-ray and it opened up a whole new world to me. I'll call Pagenet in the morning and see if someone there can tell which model this is. You're not dealing with morons here. UPDATE: Rep at Pagenet said I need to contact USA Mobility, since at least 2 buyouts occurred since 1991. UPDATE: Without even calling the company, I'm gonna go ahead and put my hat in the ring by saying this pager is a black Motorola Bravo Plus with the old Pagenet logo. It is NOT the Motorola Bravo Classic model. You can find these all over ebay, starting at around $6 with free shipping, man.

The chairs are from Le Corbusier (French designer from the Art-Deco era) you still can find them (replica of course) in various stores that sell modern furniture.

And contacted them. Another fifteen Euros for me, too. For the Dude, this costume's going to be pretty pricey!

Now, just need to keep my eyes out for a Pendleton Sweater. Right now, the sweaters are going for almost 2 or 3 times what they were going for earlier last year, so I just need to be patient and wait for a good deal.

Last edited:
Trudy, I ordered my sweater from Amazon...The color and pattern are a match, as far as I can tell...
The "Z" pattern is reversed on the front left shoulder and front left body of the sweater:

Lebowski_cardigan_zpsb9351d89.jpg

On Bridges' sweater they all face the same way. Other than that it's a decent match, especially at that price. I'd order one right now if I knew the sizing was accurate.

Thank you, Zombie. I really dig your style, man. I like getting down to the fine details.

Regarding size: I just now checked mine and it is size Large. It is pleasantly (and perfectly) saggy and stretchy to fit the way I like it and the way The Dude's seems to hang on him.

The zipper pull is on the left side, as found on women's clothing. Then I changed the zipper pull to a round one.

My torso size is large in t-shirt sizes. I hope this helps, but let me know what else I can do, like post an image of me wearing it, etc.

P.S. I get lots of compliments on the sweater every time I wear it, but they compliment the quality when they see it. They usually don't recognize it from a movie.

Mark it 8, Dude! I cracked the mystery pager. It's Pagenet. I got the blu-ray and it opened up a whole new world to me. I'll call Pagenet in the morning and see if someone there can tell which model this is. You're not dealing with morons here. UPDATE: Rep at Pagenet said I need to contact USA Mobility, since at least 2 buyouts occurred since 1991. UPDATE: Without even calling the company, I'm gonna go ahead and put my hat in the ring by saying this pager is a black Motorola Bravo Plus with the old Pagenet logo. It is NOT the Motorola Bravo Classic model. You can find these all over ebay, starting at around $6 with free shipping, man.

I'm on board that the Dude's pager is a Motorola Bravo Plus, and that the logo shown is the Pagenet Nationwide / USA map logo:

But did such a pager ever exist in real life?

I contacted some sellers on e-bay that had bravo plusses for sale. One said that they had had some requests for a pager with that logo, but they'd never seen one. Another was quite adamant:

> No they never used that logo on the plus. We are wholesalers and sold to Pagenet and still sell today to UsaMobility.

And it does seem strange that the logo in the movie is 180 degrees from the Pagenet logo that I have seen:

But it would also seem strange to think that the movie prop guys went out of their way to stick a fake label on a pager.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back