New dredd-movie: First picture !!! (footage added on pg 3!!!)

Re: New dredd-movie: First picture !!!

theres a lot to like abt it IMHO
helmet alone is a massive improvement on the last movie attempt
still.... wheres the green pads?!?!

Massive improvement over the last 'attempt'.

That's my opinion! after the last abortion they can't really go wrong!

With regards to the helmet looking a bit big etc.every artist over the years from McMahon to Bolland, Dillon, to Kennedy have all had thier own take on these things, massive helmet, skinny little helmet, etc...

I think It's be nigh on impossible to avoid the typical "well I would have preferred it..." just the same as I preferred Bollands Dredd to Ron Smith's but I still read it.

the thing not to forget at this stage is that according to hype this movie is NOT a vehicle for a star or a moneygrabbing studio just crunching through ideas to generate revenue

or maybe I'm just a blind optomist?

basically..have a little hope people, don't rubbish the film from one rehearsal shot, I had to watch Stallone's Dredd three or four times before I could definitively conclude it was total **** :D

Respect
P.

First of all: As a reader of Judge Dredd for many, many years (my all-time favorite character) I am beyond happy someone's taking another crack at it after the steaming pile that was the 95 Stallone flick.

That being said, My understanding is that it was Stallone demanding too much influence over the character, consequently straying too far from direct Danny Cannon's original vision. You know, with the removal of the helmet, Dredd actually being a soft-hearted "good guy" after all, etc.

I for one always loved it when they stay as close to the look of the original comic as possible (think Spiderman, C. Reeve's Superman, Hulk, etc. as opposed to the hi-tech, all-black Batman of today, Leatherclad Wolverine and so on)

I see a lot of people don't care much for the huge helmet and tiny shoulder pads in this pic, as opposed to the comic book version. I have to agree, I really couldn't care less if the movie costume looks 'too bulky' on film -part of what makes the character in the comic is his oversized gear, so I believe it is important that they try and stay as true to that as possible.

Bottom line: Bring on the ridiculously large shoulder pads :)

At first, I was really annoyed by the small shoulder pads, too, especially since the concept art for this film showed the Street Judges looking more like how they look in the comics today:

2gx8xkf

But then in an online article about this movie, I saw mention of the film's creators taking their inspiration directly from the original comics by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra. So I searched online for images of Dredd as drawn by Ezquerra in the early issues:

2bac97a

There's your small shoulder pads. :)

It'll be nice to see another attempt at it.

I never read the comic, but I loved the Stallone movie because it was so cheesy and bad. You could almost have a drinking game to it with as many times as he said 'I knew you'd say that'. :lol

i dont like the helmet :(

Dredds always had a "big" chin stilone was a good choice mabey they should have used the same actor in hellboy. Just my thought but im still going to see it when it comes out

lawgiver looks sweet . costume looks good , but i agree helmet looks to big , i really like the helmet from the first movie , but im a child of the 80's and a huge stallone fan , so im biased ......everyone has to admit when he talks to the lawgiver , and says " full auto rapid fire " and the next minute of that movie is one of the coolest action sequence's ever

I've decided I don't like how blurry and grainy the image is. It's as if it was taken by a REALLY crappy digital camera! :unsure

Still, it's the only image we have of Urban's Dredd right now, sooo... I resized and cropped it to make a wallpaper for my laptop. Here it is if anyone else wants a copy:

I have a 17" gaming laptop, so I'm running a monitor with a 16:10 aspect ratio, and a resolution of 1920 x 1200. If any of you want a copy of the image resized and cropped for use on your computer, let me know what size you need and I can make it for you. :cool

the costume does not look very good to me. you cannot even see the eagle from that angle and you should be able see it from that angle.

i don't know boys.....

i dont like the helmet :(

Dredds always had a "big" chin stilone was a good choice mabey they should have used the same actor in hellboy. Just my thought but im still going to see it when it comes out
I thought Stallone could have been a great Dredd, agreed they should have left the helmet on. If only they made it more gritty and removed most of the cheese. Dredd should have been an 18, it had so much ground for potential.

I have every issue of 2000 ad upto about 5 years ago, and think the look of Dredd in that pic looks great...looks just like Ezquerra's done it...still the best look for Dredd.

The top of the helmet looks a little like the respirator might come down...Maybe dictating the size/shape of the helmet?

I have every issue of 2000 ad upto about 5 years ago, and think the look of Dredd in that pic looks great...looks just like Ezquerra's done it...still the best look for Dredd.
Exactly my thinking, too! :cool:thumbsup

I can see that there are still some fans that are possibly ignorant as to the origins of the character and his uniform design.

First, here's a quote of the synopsis for DREDD, which has been in some of the articles about the new movie:
DREDD takes us to the wild streets of Mega City One, the lone oasis of quasi-civilization on Cursed Earth. Judge Dredd (Karl Urban) is the most feared of elite Street Judges, with the power to enforce the law, sentence offenders and execute them on the spot – if necessary. The endlessly inventive mind of writer Alex Garland and the frenetic vision of director Peter Travis bring DREDD to life as a futuristic neo-noir action film that returns the celebrated character to the dark, visceral incarnation from John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra’s revered comic strip.
Now then, let's have a look at how Carlos Ezquerra drew Judge Joseph Dredd in those early strips, shall we?

EzquerraDredd.jpg

Massimo-Dredd.jpg

judgedredd_restrfiles1.jpg

judge-dredd-18.jpg

judgedredd05sy5.jpg

judge_dred3.jpg

Even the Statue of Justice depicting Judge Dredd has the same look in those early strips:

JudgeDreddStatueofJudgement.jpg

The things that jump out at me about Ezquerra's original uniform design are...

1. More than any other artist, he made the uniform look like a black leather outfit designed to protect a motorcyclist. Hence the protective pads and the helmet.
  2. He drew the shoulder pads at a smaller, more realistic size... just like the ones we see in the new movie! The ones that most artists draw, the ones that Sly Stallone wore in his movie, would limit the movement of a Street Judge's arms more than the smaller, more realistic shoulder pads Ezquerra drew. In real life, that could be dangerous.
  3. Ezquerra drew a smaller, more form-fitting helmet... more reminiscent of the one in the Stallone movie. So the new movie's costume designer clearly preferred a larger take on the helmet, from a different artist.

Also, it's clear that just as in the first movie, the movie-makers are having Dredd use the Lawgiver Mark II. But at least this time it looks closer to the Mark II seen in the comics:

Lawgiver-mkii.jpg

Sure, it's not 100% the same, but that's due to the necessity of the design. Prop-makers start with real handguns and then modify them, so that the gun will be capable of firing blanks on the set. But at least this time they've attempted to make it look more like the Mark II in the comic.

As for the Mark I...

lawgiver1.jpg

...it's clear to me that the reason we haven't seen that one adapted for the screen is its shape. The only way I can see to make a movie Lawgiver that looks like the Mark I is to use something like a Mauser (a WWI era handgun, famously customized to make Han Solo's blaster pistols for the original Star Wars trilogy) or a German Luger. Those might be harder to find in good, working condition. And they wouldn't look as impressive or manly as the Mark II. ;)
The top of the helmet looks a little like the respirator might come down...Maybe dictating the size/shape of the helmet?
That's an interesting theory! I can't remember... is that a feature that the helmet has in the comic? :confused

Last edited:

Exactly my thinking, too! :cool:thumbsup

I can see that there are still some fans that are possibly ignorant as to the origins of the character and his uniform design.

First, here's a quote of the synopsis for DREDD, which has been in some of the articles about the new movie:Now then, let's have a look at how Carlos Ezquerra drew Judge Joseph Dredd in those early strips, shall we?

;)That's an interesting theory! I can't remember... is that a feature that the helmet has in the comic? :confused
I think you're right about a lot of the design coming from the early comics and yes the respirator comes down in the comics but I haven't got a picture...Can someone else jump in here?

can't find a picture to hand without going through a wardrobe full of old progs but can definately confirm the use of the respirator pulled down, specifically when using stumm gas to disable the spuggiest perps :D

I like your train of thought Jack, It's also worth considering in the same vein that the Helmet would need to be a bit oversize if it was intended as a motorcycle (Lawmaster) helmet due to the amount of soft padding that is required to stop the brains from becoming soup in the event of a crash...

positive turn to the thread, much more interesting than 50 wasted posts saying "fail..I don't like it..." etc etc ad infinitum...

Respect
P.

I'm reserving judgement until I see the whole uniform. I do like the helmet but I'm hoping the eagle shoulder pad hasn't flown the coop though.
Here's a couple of early pics with the respirator down

resp1.jpg

resp2.jpg

New movie seems good.
They changed some things, but that maybe not be as bad as it seems for some people.

I don't think that making a live-fire Mark II is so much a problem. Most of the firing will be effects anyway, so they can put a revolver in there. :cool

Mark I is tricky.
And don't say its old!!!
I have made one.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/judge-dredd-lawgiver-mark-i-88012/
And i am planning to do a second attempt in the future. :cool

And to be fair with history, Nazis didn't made the Luger. That thing came out years before the Nazi regime.
Luger P08 pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's my idea, or Dredd is wearing Blade-Like armor?
Blade used his pistol so...

New movie seems good.
They changed some things, but that maybe not be as bad as it seems for some people.

I don't think that making a live-fire Mark II is so much a problem. Most of the firing will be effects anyway, so they can put a revolver in there. :cool
Well, the new movie's prop master had NO problem making one that can fire blanks, as he's built the prop around a real semi-auto handgun, just as the prop master on the last movie did! But at least this time, the guy managed to make it look more like the Mark II in the comics. :cool:thumbsup
And to be fair with history, Nazis didn't made the Luger. That thing came out years before the Nazi regime.
Luger P08 pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wow. I didn't realize just how old that pistol design was. I've edited my erroneous statement in the previous post.
It's my idea, or Dredd is wearing Blade-Like armor?
Blade used his pistol so...
Dredd is definitely wearing some sort of body armor. But then again, that was also the case with the last movie. In order to support the eagle and "butter bars" shoulder pads, the costume maker last time made up an armored harness that would hold support them. It also had an armored back plate, which would give the Street Judge some protection in an accident, or if a perp tried shooting them in the back! ;)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back