Best way to carve designs onto a wooden staff?

GatorDave113

Jr Member
Hey RPF,

I've recently started a project to recreate the the staff from the 2008 movie The Forbidden Kingdom and I need some advice. I've determined the dimensions of the staff and I've acquired the reference material necessary to recreate the designs that are carved into it but I'm not sure what the best way would be. As of right now I'm just referring to the swirling designs that are carved into the staff itself (best seen around the center of the staff) and not the overlays that are on the ends. Which brings me to my question, what do you all think would be the best way to carve these designs into the wood? Should I try and find somebody with a 5 axis router, should I go over it with a dremel, Or should I carve it out with some hand chisels? Or is there some other way that would be best to use?

Sincerely,
Gator Dave

side and underside.jpg

all depends on what you're good with.

if you have no skills with chisels and dremels, go for the CNC router. Otherwise, if the skills are there and you have the time, wood carving chisels.

The original is most likely not wood, so you could sculpt is and cast it. Looking at the pattern, dremel with a ball carving bit and sharp chip carving chisels if you are determined to make it in wood. If you keep your chisels sharp, they will give you superior control over Xacto knives.

To some extent the answer depends on how hard the wood is (quiet in the back!). In my experience, a sharp chisel will be far superior on harder woods, whereas most of the techniques mentioned here are equally applicable to softer woods. That said, no one tool/technique will do the entire job, and as others have said, do what works best for you.

The original is most likely not wood, so you could sculpt is and cast it. Looking at the pattern, dremel with a ball carving bit and sharp chip carving chisels if you are determined to make it in wood. If you keep your chisels sharp, they will give you superior control over Xacto knives.
Im with you, I'm not 100% sold that it's wood either. Some people brought some good arguments for why it could be so i just went with it. Any ideas what you think it is? Wood also seemed like my best option because I don't know how to sculpt or cast. Lol I'm a noob

Well, I've been making props for film here in Hollywood for over 35 years and most people do not have the skill here to make a prop like this out of wood either. Second, nearly all hero props need back ups and multiples, that of course all match, so making a mold and casting the piece is an easy and economical way of doing this. Faux finishing is the stock and trade of a whole union here, the scenic artists, so a fake wood finish is common place.
Now, that being said, this seems like a film made in Asia and they have different methods and more old world talent available to them there, so, it could be made from wood, but my guess is, even if a hero piece was made of wood, likely there are stunt and duplicate versions made from a mold.
If you plan on making it out of wood, take some time and find videos of guys who are just wood carvers, carving wood. Prop makers are generally the last people you want to learn a traditional skill from, as they are very rarely taught these skills by an experienced craftsman, but rather, "make it up as they go along." Then get a piece and practice the techniques before you try them on the full staff. Wood is cheap, and testing something on a scrap until you get proficient, is a lot cheaper than wrecking your full size piece by experimenting on it.

Thanks for the tip, ill be sure to do that. :) Since you've been doing this for so long, how would you go about making this prop if it were your project?

Well, my way would be because I likely have a bigger budget and need to do what an art director wanted specifically so, I would:
For control over art direction, the best opportunity to make changes:
Use a hard clay, (Chavant) melted and applied over a thinner wood dowel or aluminum tube
Carve it into the clay
Paint it with spray paint to "seal it"
Make a silicone mold
Cast one in urethane with an aluminum tube armature
Paint it to look like wood.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back