I have a question about autographing prop replicas

i dont know if i agree with everyone else, let's see most props are either bought or made, if hand made, they could be relatively inexpensive, when an actor dies stuff related to them goes up in value, then drops after a while. if i had a dl44 that was accurate for a movie and i had the opprotunity to have harrison ford sign it, i would, i have two graflex light sabers, while not a fan of mark hammel, i would let him sign one, why not? i have noticed that many guys above have said that they wouldnt buy a prop with a signature on it, i think that say if an actor had a prop and they were buying it off of them personally, i cant see anyone saying oh no dont sign it.

i dont know if i agree with everyone else, let's see most props are either bought or made, if hand made, they could be relatively inexpensive, when an actor dies stuff related to them goes up in value, then drops after a while. if i had a dl44 that was accurate for a movie and i had the opprotunity to have harrison ford sign it, i would, i have two graflex light sabers, while not a fan of mark hammel, i would let him sign one, why not? i have noticed that many guys above have said that they wouldnt buy a prop with a signature on it, i think that say if an actor had a prop and they were buying it off of them personally, i cant see anyone saying oh no dont sign it.

To each their own; but I personally think something like this looks tacky.

3.jpg

It detracts from the prop rather than enhances it. But again, it's all a matter of personal preference and opinion.

I have no opinion on this, as i never got the idea of a signature having any value. :confused

I agree in that the autograph itself really has no real value. I don't "buy" previously autographed items personally. When I do get something signed, it's part of the experience of meeting that individual I actually cared about meeting and spending the time/money to make happen. I suppose the only other "value" of it is that "x" celebrity physically handled this piece at one point, but that's still a moot point for real substantive monetary value

I agree in that the autograph itself really has no real value. I don't "buy" previously autographed items personally. When I do get something signed, it's part of the experience of meeting that individual I actually cared about meeting and spending the time/money to make happen. I suppose the only other "value" of it is that "x" celebrity physically handled this piece at one point, but that's still a moot point for real substantive monetary value

i would never ever purchase something presigned, i will tell you why....i have a friend who is very, very talented in the art of reproducing autographs on record covers, though he didn't sell them and did display them, the way to reproduce them is surprisingly easy. that being said, i also collect hot wheels, and i have one mint car from my first convention that i had the base signed by the designer (he hasnt been to another convention since) i was told that that signature had added $100 to the car, even if that were true it is not something i would wanna get rid of. i think that it is up to the individual, i live in the los angeles area and have run across many movie stars and sports figures, the only star i ever asked for an autograph from was Clint eastwood, when he was filming bloodworks, on of the nicest gentleman i eber met, at that time i was 6'1 and had to look up to look him in the eye. i figure it is up to the individual wether or not to get a prop signed

Im all for signed , when on a photo or on the inside of a prop , but would i pay more for it? Dont think so , just to easy faking , even getting a COA

I just had this laying in a box, with a broken mirror... Then I got tickets to a BTTF screening where the designer and builder of the delorean were speaking...

I wouldn't get a dime for it... and no proof of signature... but what was once a broken car, is now one of my fave things.

27046805391_4268ea1ee6_z.jpg

And I'm not big on signings... would never get a prop signed.

Also, you gotta be careful with signings... Carrie Fisher scrawled on this in two colors of ink... it's kind of an eye sore... ha.

20110988671_8e6d44dc0f_c.jpg

lol I want a figure of Gary :)

anyway, back on topic

personally, for people on RPF, which probably fits the description of perfectionist, an autographed prop won't do much for them, they would rather go for screen accurate props which are made with found/identified parts.

OTOH there are memorabilia collectors who would pay top money for an autographed item, but they probably wouldn't care like if the autograph is on a genuine Graflex or a $20 Hasbro toy.

I would like to think I am more of the former then later, but if I ever get a chance to meet Mark Hamill in person, I might not be able to resist the urge of asking him to sign my Graflex :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back