Military models show off thread - open to everyone!

Master Blaster

Hi to All,

Following the 2 post by mirdhim

Can I post here......? http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=256314
and
some off my models http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=256511

I did not know that I could post military models in here, so coincidentally, Last week I was moving my toys from a display case to another and this little guy accidentally got broken.. I thought what do I do? fix it? Or go to something different... Then I found this amazing diorama online.
8.jpg5.jpg

Cool, Isn't? But, I did not find any model (wreckage or not) underwater... I mean undersea models.

So, After my experience last week working with water effects (Yoda's Display base), I'm working on this.
Reference photos:
plane_wreck.jpgplanewreck.jpg

I've started with my broken plane and a piece of cardboard:
Undersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 001.jpg

Then some cuts...
Undersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 002.jpg

Then seafloor, corals and rocks. I've used quick set cement again, really cool stuff.
Undersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 003.jpg

Then, rust and shipping effects; and some painting I'm here now. ( The green and pink spots are markers to inserts)
Undersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 010.jpgUndersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 004.jpgUndersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 005.jpgUndersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 006.jpgUndersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 007.jpgUndersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 008.jpgUndersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 009.jpg

The color is a little bit pale, because when I pour the water effect into it, the colours will pop.. So, I'm trying to keep bellow the usual colours. Well, Apart from the corals bellow.

Corals / Vegetation / Inserts:
Undersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 013.jpgUndersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 011.jpg

A toothpick to see the scale of this little f#$kers! I've individually airbrushed each one of then! mm...
Undersea Plane Wreckage Diorama - 012.jpg

So, now, to install the inserts, a protective clear cote, make the transparent box and fill with a water effect.. I did not decide which medium I will use yet, suggestions are more than welcome please?
Also, does anyone know where could I find a diver figure 1:72-76 scale? If that is possible to find?

Thanks for looking.
MB.

Last edited:
Very cool.

Couple things through.
Weren't Spitfires mainly made of wood?
Control surfaces where usually doped covered cloth at least on American planes. (don't know about British)

Also IIRC aluminum doesn't rust.;)

Very cool.
Couple things through.
Weren't Spitfires mainly made of wood?
Control surfaces where usually doped covered cloth at least on American planes. (don't know about British)
Also IIRC aluminum doesn't rust.;)

Hi division 6, Thanks a lot and WOW... I did not know any of this thanks!
Just a couple of things.

You are mistaken, this is not a spitfire, but a:

Hawker Hurricane Mk.1, P2798, LK-A
Wing Commander Gleed's aircraft.

The "custom" silver paint is my own crazy idea when I'm building.. I do not look too much in accuracy but what would looks good IMHO! Mainly these little fellas, which I built 5/6 years ago, I think this one specifically was the second if not the first plastic model I've built since my childhood (about 35 years ago :cry ).

I'm "new" to the hyper-accurate models world, everything I post here in The RPF is my first attempt, So please, be gentle :$

Back to the Hurricane:
From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Hurricane
[...An all-metal, stressed-skin wing of duraluminium ... was introduced in April 1939...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duralumin
[...duraluminium...Although the addition of copper improves strength, it also makes these alloys susceptible to corrosion...]

[A revised Hurricane Mk I series built with a de Havilland or Rotol constant speed metal propeller, metal-covered wings, armour and other improvements. In 1939, the RAF had taken on about 500 of this later design to form the backbone of the fighter squadrons.]
[They were very different in construction ... "The great advantage of the metal-covered wings over the fabric ones was that the metal ones could carry far greater stress loads without needing so much structure beneath." Several fabric-wing Hurricanes were still in service during the Battle of Britain, although a good number had had their wings replaced during servicing or after repair. Changing the wings only required three hours work per aircraft.]

Also, today, I've found this real life Hurricanes wrecks photos.
hurricane3.jpgHurricane2.jpghurricane_12.jpghurricane_07.jpghurricane_06.jpgHurricane.jpg

What do you think? Am I too far from the real world?

When I had the idea of a scenario (diorama) of an airplane undersea... I just wanted to get the nice looking of it if in real life. I did not think in History and accuracy, for me its just a generic WWII airplane under the sea, that's it!
Just like my references photos.

Thanks again for your tips! :thumbsup
MB.

Last edited:
Hasegawa 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - flown by Japanese ace Hiroyoshi Nishizawa. I did a bunch of research before I tackled it.

I painted it they way it probably was painted during the war.

Mitsubishi delivered the planes in IJN Gray and in the field crews most likely slathered green paint on the upper surfaces in a quick response to camoflage the planes from US strikes.

Reference photo is the only known photo of the actual aircraft and pilot.

Learned a lot about the WWII battles in the Pacific and what a damn living hell it was for all.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC00312 11.50.55.jpg
    DSC00312 11.50.55.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 537
  • NishizawasA6M32sm.jpg
    NishizawasA6M32sm.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 587
Hasegawa 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero - flown by Japanese ace Hiroyoshi Nishizawa. I did a bunch of research before I tackled it.
I painted it they way it probably was painted during the war.
Mitsubishi delivered the planes in IJN Gray and in the field crews most likely slathered green paint on the upper surfaces in a quick response to camoflage the planes from US strikes.
Reference photo is the only known photo of the actual aircraft and pilot.
Learned a lot about the WWII battles in the Pacific and what a damn living hell it was for all.

Well Done dbarnblatt, congrats for showing off the original painting work and research. :thumbsup

Seriously man? Did you build that diorama with 14/15? Its a shame you don't have the patience for that anymore..
Amazing stuff there!
+1 for the list "don't like you" LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Sure wish I had a camera.
I've got half a dozen "Flying Tigers" in varying scales that no one appreciates but me :(
You guys might, but alas... no camera.

A shame Axlotl, hope you get sorted out a camera soon and post your models! surely we will appreciate!

Sure wish I had a camera.
I've got half a dozen "Flying Tigers" in varying scales that no one appreciates but me :(
You guys might, but alas... no camera.

Hey, hey, hey! I love P-40's! They're my favorite warbird... We are talking about the Curtiss-Wright P-40, right, not the Mustangs they got later? Or are we talking about the modern 23rd FG, the A-10's?

Seriously man? Did you build that diorama with 14/15? Its a shame you don't have the patience for that anymore..
Amazing stuff there!
+1 for the list "don't like you" LOL

- - - Updated - - -

A shame Axlotl, hope you get sorted out a camera soon and post your models! surely we will appreciate!

Yep, got my first armor kit at about 11, a 1/35 tamiya leopard 1. I was hooked after that. Then I discovered plastic card which I still use to this day when I build my props. I just can't spend hours on these tanks anymore. When you're young you think you will live forever and have all the time in the world. How things change.

Hey, hey, hey! I love P-40's! They're my favorite warbird... We are talking about the Curtiss-Wright P-40, right, not the Mustangs they got later? Or are we talking about the modern 23rd FG, the A-10's?

We're talking about the American Volunteer Group "Flying Tigers".
We're talking Claire Lee Chennault, Tex Hill, Robert Neal, Erik Shilling, Bill Reed, R.T. Smith, Chuck Older, Ed Rector, Charlie Bond...
We're talking TOMAHAWKS, not Warhawks.
We're talking P-40B/C, aka Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2.

Nice to meet a fellow fan. Now I HAVE to get a camera...

Master Blaster: Sorry to hijack your thread, man.
Can't wait to see your Hurricane finished (I knew it was a Hurricane by the shape of the wings).
Looking FANTASTIC so far. Such a cool idea. Only thing that would make it better is if it was at the bottom of an aquarium. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back