Best product for mounting electronics in resin

Lowbeer

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a few Stapleton kits (Trics and Phasers) with the corresponding GMprops electronics that I'm finally getting around to building. Before I start permanently attaching anything together, though, I wanted to see what people's opinions were on the best way to go about mounting electronics inside resin props. I'm specifically looking for recommendations on whatever compounds, epoxy or otherwise, people use. I'm looking for a much more permanent bond than just hot glue. Also, because I like to take things apart again if I have to, I'm planning on attaching small threaded inserts to the inside of the resin pieces which I will then screw the electronics boards into, so whatever I use will have to be good for bonding brass to resin, specifically.

Two part clear epoxy is always a good choice for bonding resin to metal. JB Weld would be fine as well.

However... You may find that there is not enough room in those tricorder and phaser kits for board stand-offs - that small additional distance from the inner surface of the shell can throw off the function, light alignment, or cause a board to interfere with its neighbor. If you are successful I'd love to see it.

Hot glue is usually more than strong enough to hold a light board in place, and has the advantage that it is removable with some effort (in case a board is misaligned, for example), while epoxies and CA glues are rather permanent... For props which will be permanently sealed (cricket phaser), or need extra strength behind the boards to withstand button presses (boomerang phaser), epoxy or JB weld are the way to go when attaching the reinforcing bars after tacking the boards in place with hot glue:

I used devcon 5 minute epoxy. That gives you plenty of working time to align everything. It is pretty permanent, but you should never need to remove the boards if it's assembled correctly. The circuits are well designed and LED's last forever if they are drive correctly. That's just me though, most people use hot glue. I would not use superglue. If you misalign the pieces during assembly it's really hard to fix.

Two part clear epoxy is always a good choice for bonding resin to metal. JB Weld would be fine as well.

Lol, that build you linked with the epoxied in place supports is the exact one I was thinking of when I posted this question (the standoffs were my own addition) but I couldn't remember where I had seen it! Once again The RPF provides.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

As long as they bump/jump around inside the prop... you're fine.

For that.. you can even use some double sided tape or something.

ow much 'electronics' we talking here?

A single PCB and speaker?

I'd keep in mind about the HEAT build up in trying to encase things in epoxy or whatever. HEAT is much more of an enemy to electronics!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back