Graphic Novel Build - Help Needed

killnat2o1

Hello, my name is Killnat2o1, i have been working for the past 6-7 months on a graphic novel, its getting closer and closer to summer and i want to create a cos play outfit for the character "Isaac" hes the main character in the story and we fallow him through a wasteland in Denver, Colorado and the neighboring states. i'm new to prop building and haven't to much experience in it the character him self dosnt have anything really worth while except for his mask, Isaac wears a MK III Hazard Helmet, created by Leon Jones, a scientist that works at D-CON Industry's, how Isaac came into possession of this mask will be explained in the story, like i said i have very little knowledge on prop building or creating my own, but my idea with making this mask is to help spread the word of the graphic novel on kick starter, i plan to get the rest of the items needed to complete the costume and go to the Comic-Con in Denver or where ever the real one will be held and pass out flyers dressed as Isaac.
so that's why I've come to the RPF community for some help, i have sketches of his mask but nothing in any 3-D software like auto cad or inventor, so all your going to see is some sketches of the helmet as well as Isaac him-self wearing it, money is not an issue ATM, so if you have an idea where to start or how i can get the materials please leave a comment, that and any helpful info is always a big help :D. Also to be specific here is what its going to look like and i'll also explain some of the feature inside of the helmet as well.
The helmet will have a polarized dome, in this version there wont be any of these features i'm about to list but if you have any information on them it still would be helpful, Features: audio receivers built into the outside brim of the mask to receive audio also on the outside i would like to put i volume knob so you can change the volume you pick up, on the inside i would like to put in padding all the way around the inside of the brim as well as on the back of the helmet and on the top of the head so the dome isnt resting on the wears hair or head, it the padding shouldn't be visible from the outside looking in and the padding is out of the wears sight so its almost like its not even there, there isnt going to be any straps or anything like that because i plan to make it roughly the same size as my head for a tight enough fit also in the padding around the prim will be small speakers that project audio into the helmet from the outside so hearing should be as easy as not even having it on also having the knob will allow the person to hear better wearing the helmet than not at all sense they can control the volume any way. the out side brim will be hallow plastic or metal i haven't decided, to house wires and or battery's, also down the road id like to add vents or fans to keep an airflow through the mask sense its not the real thing you wont have to worry about toxic fums but also wont have to worry about your head or face getting sweaty from the heat or fog accumulating on the dome. that's pretty much it if you have any questions please as ill be more than happy to add on to this. also thank you for reading this and taking the time to help.​

- - - Updated - - -

also before hand i know some of them look slightly different but pay no mind i really just need to know how to go about making the dome and fitting it to my head.

Last edited:
Re: Help!!

Welcome aboard :)
Wish I had helpful info. Maybe use a polarized plexiglas and find someone to vacuform the shape?
If you are not familiar with that process, Basically you place the sheet of plexi over your shape inside the vacuform machine, and it will suck out all air and the sheet will take the shape of your form. Just a thought.

Hello Killnat2o1, and welcome to the forum.

Your question seems a little vague. Could you fill in some details? Polarized Dome? It only lets in light in one direction? Is this for the lenses, or the whole dome?

There are many techniques used to build a helmet, and knowing what you want the final product to be, is a great starting point. I think the board might need to hear a bit more detail to give advice on how to...

yes, an actual dome i will post an image of the the helmet when i get done drawing some concept art of it i've really only done concept art of him wearing it at the moment, also i would like to make it very transparent and clear from the inside yet completely hides the inside of the helmet from view with a polarized orange sheen, much like master chiefs helmet visor. also i plan to make this a close to the real thing as possible so i'm going to put on speakers and LED's inside the helmet, i don't have a deadline so i have as long as i need to get money for parts and such.

also yes i've been told the concept seems very "Daft Punkish" but the difference between the will be noticeable and i will look into that and see the method in with they make there dome's i'll just have to keep in mind mine is kinda a dome or bowl in shape. not a stripe down the middle.

RE post: Help?

Hello my name is Killnat2o1, and i would like help making a prop from my soon to be graphic novel, i don't wish to talk to much about it sense i have yet to put down any real copyrights but ill get to my point, the character wears a mask/helmet (something that covers his entire head 360) the main part of his helmet is a polarized dome i've skimmed around on youtube for some help on doing this or if its even possible, i would like to try and make it real polarized glass first before i try and skip to cutting corners and using a paint that makes it look as if its polarized, plain and simple i want to make it as close to the actual thing as i can, that means the interior all the way to the speakers that will be inside of the helmet but thats all at a later date at the moment id like to get an idea of what direction i should go with the main piece of the helmet? heres a photo IMG_20140114_195708.jpg

i'd be really thankful to any help or info on polarizing glass or making this possible

Re: RE post: Help?

Can't help with polarizing but maybe search people's projects for Halo EVA helmet replicas. I know there's been a few of those here and there and they seem to match your diagram.

Screenshot2014-01-15at123522_zps458d15c1.png

Steve Neil has a youtube channel, Steve Neil's Garage. In some of the early videos he builds a spacesuit helmet and the plexi dome. Might be a good place to start. The ones featuring the helmet are interspersed starting around #23 through #79.

yea i want to make it easy for the user to view out of the mask as clear as he/she can but when you look at the mask from the out side you can't see inside at all

also i heard of a method to make the dome of the mask, you have to do something that has to do with vacuuming it? anyone know what im talking about?

Help Needed

Hello, my name is Killnat2o1, i have been working for the past 6-7 months on a graphic novel, its getting closer and closer to summer and i want to create a cos play outfit for the character "Isaac" hes the main character in the story and we fallow him through a wasteland in Denver, Colorado and the neighboring states. i'm new to prop building and haven't to much experience in it the character him self dosnt have anything really worth while except for his mask, Isaac wears a MK III Hazard Helmet, created by Leon Jones, a scientist that works at D-CON Industry's, how Isaac came into possession of this mask will be explained in the story, like i said i have very little knowledge on prop building or creating my own, but my idea with making this mask is to help spread the word of the graphic novel on kick starter, i plan to get the rest of the items needed to complete the costume and go to the Comic-Con in Denver or where ever the real one will be held and pass out flyers dressed as Isaac.
so that's why I've come to the RPF community for some help, i have sketches of his mask but nothing in any 3-D software like auto cad or inventor, so all your going to see is some sketches of the helmet as well as Isaac him-self wearing it, money is not an issue ATM, so if you have an idea where to start or how i can get the materials please leave a comment, that and any helpful info is always a big help :D. Also to be specific here is what its going to look like and i'll also explain some of the feature inside of the helmet as well.
The helmet will have a polarized dome, in this version there wont be any of these features i'm about to list but if you have any information on them it still would be helpful, Features: audio receivers built into the outside brim of the mask to receive audio also on the outside i would like to put i volume knob so you can change the volume you pick up, on the inside i would like to put in padding all the way around the inside of the brim as well as on the back of the helmet and on the top of the head so the dome isnt resting on the wears hair or head, it the padding shouldn't be visible from the outside looking in and the padding is out of the wears sight so its almost like its not even there, there isnt going to be any straps or anything like that because i plan to make it roughly the same size as my head for a tight enough fit also in the padding around the prim will be small speakers that project audio into the helmet from the outside so hearing should be as easy as not even having it on also having the knob will allow the person to hear better wearing the helmet than not at all sense they can control the volume any way. the out side brim will be hallow plastic or metal i haven't decided, to house wires and or battery's, also down the road id like to add vents or fans to keep an airflow through the mask sense its not the real thing you wont have to worry about toxic fums but also wont have to worry about your head or face getting sweaty from the heat or fog accumulating on the dome. that's pretty much it if you have any questions please as ill be more than happy to add on to this. also thank you for reading this and taking the time to help.​
IMG_20140114_195708.jpg1689477_586983528049145_1132077115_n.jpg1470151_555468724533959_1094393610_n.jpg1459837_560920667322098_622694162_n.jpg1517494_576733899074108_1726741023_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

also before hand i know some of them look slightly different but pay no mind i really just need to know how to go about making the dome and fitting it to my head.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back