Dark Crystal Skeksis costume/ update 3/23/14

Re: Dark Crystal Skeksis costume/ update 2/14/14

All these years later and Skeksis and Gmork from The Neverending story are still things of my nightmares.

Nice work on the sculpt!

Unfortunately no. This head is more of a rushed job since I also have to work on my wife's gelfling costume as well before the end of march. The rig inside is made to be upgradeable though. So after the Con I can work on a different setup. I know, not nearly as cool but it's my first :unsure.

I see you are not going to have the hand inside the head to puppet the mouth.
Are you going to use another method to puppet it?
I string attached to the bottom jaw?

Thanks man. I've already learned a lot of what not to do in this build, so it has been a great learning experience, hehe.

All these years later and Skeksis and Gmork from The Neverending story are still things of my nightmares.

Nice work on the sculpt!

I've gotten a little more progress on stitching on the lace. I still need to finish the lace around the shoulder areas on either sides. I also am halfway into wiring the fans to go inside the costume.

I also put some more wrinkles in the skin with hot glue and latex and repainted the head.

I still need to add a little bit of white hair.

I'll have to see what I can do, the hair is going to start a little bit in front of the eyebrows and there might be a bit along the upper lip to the neck which will puff up the brows and neck region. He is definitely my first version. I will make an entire new one from scratch because there are things on this one I just couldn't changelike the eyes looking too close together when looking head on, and he's just not wrinkly enough dammit, hehe!

Here's a reference pic I was using:

I agree though, he does look too streamlined. The only one with a very prominent brow is Skeksil, but the others still have more than mine does. I think mine is more like the one in the bottom right corner (sorry can't remember all their names). I think I need to add a few more very small teeth too to make him look a little more nasty. My next one will have a definite snarl and squinty eyes.

Great progress but I still think you need more of a brow line. The head is too stream lined.

EDIT: I tried adding hair this morning and it was an absolute and total failure....:( I was about to throw the thing away in the garbage :darnkids.

Last edited:
Re: Dark Crystal Skeksis costume/ update 2/10/14

That's very cool! I wanted to use paper mâché to make it very light but I didn't know if I'd be able to get detail with it with my limited experience using it. His costume is pretty damn awesome, I don't think I'm going to be able to get mine to look that good...

Ryan actually used Plaster gauze, not paper mache.

Re: Dark Crystal Skeksis costume/ update 2/22/14

Love it! One of my all time favourite movies, and creatures :)

Re: Dark Crystal Skeksis costume/ update 2/22/14

Thanks Cymico

Wow, it's awesome, Very good job !

Hehe, I have zero experience with plaster gauze but I'll have to learn. Ryan did a great job with it!

Ryan actually used Plaster gauze, not paper mache.

Thanks Scapey It's on my top 10 of all time!
Love it! One of my all time favourite movies, and creatures :)

Very nice! I haven't watched this movie in ages. Great job. Maybe I'll have to give it another viewing soon and see if I can fit a Mystic costume into my list pf projects. Got to have the other side represented.:) Probably not in time for the end of March. I presume you're talking about Norwescon. Maybe for Orycon if nothing gets in the way. As a possible cooling system, if you have or can make the room, I have seen some battery operated fans for tents in the camping section at Wal Mart in the past. I don't recall how big they are but you might give it a look. Looking forward to the finished project.

Hehe, I'm not familiar with Norwescon or Orycon. I'm getting ready for Emerald City Comicon. I haven't had the opportunity to check out the others. I don't know the goings on of the area too well yet. I'm having my brother hook up two large computer fans to two battery packs that take 4 AA batteries. It will only maybe have a couple hour battery life but will move a nice amount of air I hope and the battery packs will be easily accessable. I'll check out the camping section just in case these don't work out though.

That would be cool if you made a mystic! I hope I have enough time to help the wife with her gelfling costume.

Very nice! I haven't watched this movie in ages. Great job. Maybe I'll have to give it another viewing soon and see if I can fit a Mystic costume into my list pf projects. Got to have the other side represented.:) Probably not in time for the end of March. I presume you're talking about Norwescon. Maybe for Orycon if nothing gets in the way. As a possible cooling system, if you have or can make the room, I have seen some battery operated fans for tents in the camping section at Wal Mart in the past. I don't recall how big they are but you might give it a look. Looking forward to the finished project.

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I've been crammed with stitching and doing a bit of modification the head. Of course the flash washed out all the colors. I'm saving any quality pics till I get some nice ones at the Con. I added some sculpting work to the brows and eyelids which in turn meant I had to re-latex parts and repaint over that. I also added a light rusty wash over the eyes to make them a little bloodshot and more natural (not so beaming white) and some scars/scratches. He's also got a little bit of hair/down feathers I'm not sure what to call it and a scraggly goatee. He looks all deflated now because he's on a coat hanger since I don't have a proper mannequin or anything.

this is super sweet! can't wait to see it finished. makes me want to pull out some of my rough mystic sculpts i was working on to make dark crystal pewter miniatures with. i should jump back on that....oh so many things to work on so little time! :cool

Hehe, if only I could figure out how to cut out sleep from my schedule, I'd have so much more time to work on projects! Hmm, on second though, I remember rarely sleeping for the first year of parenthood....I don't recommend it! :lol

I couldn't possibly sculpt any kind of detail on something miniature sized! Yeah, you should work on that. :popcorn and post pics.

this is super sweet! can't wait to see it finished. makes me want to pull out some of my rough mystic sculpts i was working on to make dark crystal pewter miniatures with. i should jump back on that....oh so many things to work on so little time! :cool

I think the costume was pretty successful today...should be on a few websites like Q13 and some others. I'll be meeting up with Ryan and a few others in the morning tomorrow for a photo shoot and then on to updating with finished pics!

I couldn't get around anywhere because there were so many people wanting pictures. It was a little overwhelming.

These were great...not sure how we missed your group when we were there. We walked the floor all three days and only saw a tenth of the costumes. Congrats on the results!

It was just a couple of us Saturday, and the whole group sunday. I forgot to post pics!

A lot of pics from professional photographers and such floating around on Facebook and their personal websites (not sure if i'm allowed to post them).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back