Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Use Spoiler Tags)

attachment.php

Attachments

• aXEWLgD_700b_v2.jpg
    aXEWLgD_700b_v2.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 336

No, it's simply an engineering advancement to make the product work better. Think of it in modern aircraft terms. While the current A-10 Thunderbolt II is pretty much indistinguishable from its original counterpart, technology advances were made and incorporated into the design as time went on. Same with the X-Wing.

Well I think it's safe to say that the wings aren't required to create lift for flight. With this in mind you wouldn't need full wings when they are split.

Half wings=less material=cheaper to build=build more ships made.

I refuse to watch anything in 3D. I think it is largely a money-making fad, and I refuse to support it.

Here here!

I saw MoS in 3D, but that was only because I didn't buy the tix, so I didn't really have a choice. And in the end it wasn't really even worth it, there really wasn't any impressive 3D to it.

A-10's compared to x-wings... :lol,:facepalm,:wackoreally? Besides the NEW x-wing have an entirely new hull.Hell the whole thing is a new design.

A-10's compared to x-wings... :lol,:facepalm,:wackoreally? Besides the NEW x-wing have an entirely new hull.Hell the whole thing is a new design.

A more apt comparison would be a legacy F-18 Hornet compared to the new Super Hornets, they look similar at first but once you start to compare them you then realize just how different they actually are.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Well said.Unless the Tech is 100% equal I don't see how something based in reality can be compared to a fantasy concept.

I know I'm a bit out of my element here, but if you ask me, IMAX 2D is the best format to exist. 3D has nothing on it.

I know I'm a bit out of my element here, but if you ask me, IMAX 2D is the best format to exist. 3D has nothing on it.

Imax IS amazing! I enjoyed 3D once and only once. Avitar. If Cameron continues his films like this great. I'm sure I'll enjoy it that way. (felt very immersive to me).Any other 3D experience felt gimmicky to me. I don't want to see anything else in the format.

- - - Updated - - -

Imax IS amazing! I enjoyed 3D once and only once. Avitar. If Cameron continues his films like this great. I'm sure I'll enjoy it that way. (felt very immersive to me).Any other 3D experience felt gimmicky to me. I don't want to see anything else in the format.

To clear up my 3D hatred. I refuse to watch anything in 3D. I think it is largely a money-making fad, and I refuse to support it. I could expand on my reasons, but I'll keep it in a nutshell in order to not derail this thread that I love so dearly.

Dude - all of CINEMA is ENTIRELY a money-making fad.

...Funny how there is such a backlash against 3D...
I sort of understand why some people like to watch movies in 3D, but I'm not one of them. In my opinion 3D is still nothing more than a gimmick--a good movie is a good movie and a bad movie is a bad movie; 3D doesn't change that. Now, when they create 3D movies that don't require the use of special glasses, I'll be interested. Until then, 2D please.

I also think that's the only movie I've seen in 3D . Sadly it was right after I started wearing permanent glasses and the two did not work well together.

I sort of understand why some people like to watch movies in 3D, but I'm not one of them. In my opinion 3D is still nothing more than a gimmick--a good movie is a good movie and a bad movie is a bad movie; 3D doesn't change that. Now, when they create 3D movies that don't require the use of special glasses, I'll be interested. Until then, 2D please.

I'd be totally on board with tech that allowed for 3D without glasses. If that was the case then they could surprise you and only toss it in for special events. Imagine watching all of Star Wars (ANH) in 2D and then when the Death Star blows that do the explosion in 3D.

Its funny watching bad 3D movies on tv in 2D and being able to tell they were meant for 3D. The other night I saw Legend of Hercules on HBO and they had this crap floating in the background. I'm not sure if it was pollen or flower petals from a tree in the early scenes but they used it again later as ash. This of course having been stolen from Avatar told me it was meant for 3D.

The 3D argument is purely a matter of perception and individual taste. There are certain films that are definitely a far stronger immersive experience in 3D than 2D, others are better in Imax or in combination with any of the first two. Or just plain normal cinema aspect ratios!!!!
Certainly the best and most immersive experience I have EVER had in the cinema was seeing “Gravity” in 3D Imax. It was ,quite literally , out of this world, and there were times watching it I simply forgot where I was. Visually it was simply the most stunning piece of cinema I have ever seen and I saw it twice, and if anything the second time was even better. The set construction, modeling and shooting angles appeared to totally authentic and so dramatic in 3D. However the visual power of the film and story felt somewhat flatter once I watched it on normal 2D TV and the 3D realism that made it feel so essentially distinctive and involving just contributed so massively to the experience of watching it it was difficult to "see" it again in any other way. First impressions absolutely count!!
The same was true of Avatar and Guardians, both looked excellent in 3D BUT I will add a caveat to that. I find nearly all the “distance” action scenes which have large numbers of objects moving around in them ie space craft combat don’t look at all convincing in 3D and are more difficult to watch. And that is purely down to the fact that in real objects that are further away from the eye appear far less three dimensional than up close. The brain just doesn’t process them in the same way. That’s why a 2D 4K picture on a TV can look like a room with a spectacular window view but a 3D image appears “fake”.
And the second most important factor is your historical viewing experience. A Star Wars film in 3D would appear so contrary to my past understanding of how that universe is supposed to look it would immediately set me at odds to the visua structuring of the film. If somebody is more used to watching 3D films regularly then its obviously going to feel less intrusive but for me, having seen decades of “normal” film footage it isn’t going to work at any level , tradition governs my perception too strongly.
That’s why for a greater part “The Hobbit” films failed for me, I was too used to LOTR in normal 2D definition and the 3D HD versions just seemed to make everything look unreal and un-Middle Earth like, particularly with the extensive CGI.
Which is why a none 3D version SW is going to be essential for me to entirely loose myself in the film .Younger generations may prefer it and find it more enjoyable, but for me, and I suspect many older fans looking for any other hope of again recapturing that essential SW viewing experiencec then its just GOT to be in the same format as I first watched it such along time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

When 3D is done correctly it doesn't distract or detract from the experience, it enhances it.

That is applicable to all parts of moviemaking, so we can deduct that 3D can be an important and justifiable tool to enhance the intensity of storytelling.

3D to me is like CG. When it's overused and unnecessary its crap, but when used in the right way for the right reasons it's great.

Oh and sorry for joining the beating of a dead horse. ;)

Ben

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back