Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Alright.

I asked the question on several forums and on Facebook. The one that made the most sense came from a friend who said that 24 hours drying on my Duplicolor red was not enough. I need more like four or five days.

Based on RYNO666's, (405th) link to the Rustoleum option he provide me yesterday, I made contact with an Australian distributor in Victoria and spoke with one of their paint technicians.

He has basically confirmed what my friend has said.

The Duplicolor is a enamel paint, and apparently the solvents in enamels take a very long time to disperse, unlike acrylics or 2-packs.

His advice is to try again, give it four or five days to cure - the longer the better. Then when applying the clear coat over the top, give a very light spray first, wait for it to go off, then apply two normal coats with 15 to 20 minutes between coats.

Back armour painted.
2jRKjCR.jpg

Left arm painted and added.

9zWURY0.jpg

N0W5iFX.jpg

The problems a painter runs into, i know it all to well, you have a flat paint and you think its ready then you add high gloss and say wtf! It just depends on how picky you are . I say let those little imperfections go, once the whole suit is done you wont even notice those little spots. As far as paint goes Duplicolor is one of the cheaper paints out there. Wish you would try that clear coat i recommended, its a 2 part , 1000 times better than ay clear coat that comes one part.

- - - Updated - - -

Paint takes atleast 30 days to cure sometimes, but with this clear coat it has a hardner and it dries fast. Please try that one!

I got a couple of hours in today to mask off the gold again then give the red a few coats of clear to protect it.

OwA8wFl.jpg

Really loving this colour in full sun!

asbv2sM.jpg

Worm gear drive for the hinges has been fabricated by my engineer friend. Now to check for fit and see how much it needs to be modified. The motor is just a test motor. The actual motor will be about eight inches away connected by a flexible cable.

0uwVLMJ.jpg

Seeing your work coming together is motivating me to push on and get my arkham knight armour done, spent most of today filling and sanding (with a break now and then to tidy the garage and give myself more space) it's boring work but seeing yours is definitely a boost to my enthusiasm

that, my friend, is one of the big reasons why we share! I have taken so much inspiration from watching other's creativity and progress, the least I can do is give a little back to this magnificent artisan community!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back