Sky Captain Dex Atomic Disintegrator Ray Gun

renaissance_man

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is a project that has been on the back burner for a while. This particular ray gun seems as rare as hen's teeth so it made sense to start making one.

I've modelled the gun in Solidworks and am nearly ready to do a test 3D print and work on the handle either in 3D or possibly in good old fashioned sheet styrene.

43878789654_2ceae7e07f_c.jpg
Sky Captain Dex Gun 1 by JamieThomas28, on Flickr

Several years ago there were so many of these floating around the RPF you couldn't give them away. If I recall there were like four people doing a run of these. I still have two of them sitting in a box unfinished that I've had for like 12 years.

Several years ago there were so many of these floating around the RPF you couldn't give them away. If I recall there were like four people doing a run of these. I still have two of them sitting in a box unfinished that I've had for like 12 years.

Damn, I should have got on one of those runs, it would have saved me the work!

Do you have photos of the kits? How accurate are they to the prop seen on-screen?

Thanks

Last edited:
Nice project, and would make for something fun to assemble and paint. I try every so often looking for these kits but they're so hard to come across.

Nice project, and would make for something fun to assemble and paint. I try every so often looking for these kits but they're so hard to come across.

Thank you for your kind words.
I think when I have it 3D printed I'll paint the ray gun and then weather it up, add the scratches and scuffs.

"This particular ray gun seems as rare as hen's teeth"

Amen, brother. :) But I just love this little gem. The design is so beautiful.
I ended up doing the same as you, modeling and printing. Built 4 (I think?) and gave one to Adam Savage for his raygun case.
That's a pic of the first one in my avatar.

Did you end up finishing yours?

"This particular ray gun seems as rare as hen's teeth"

Amen, brother. :) But I just love this little gem. The design is so beautiful.
I ended up doing the same as you, modeling and printing. Built 4 (I think?) and gave one to Adam Savage for his raygun case.
That's a pic of the first one in my avatar.

Did you end up finishing yours?

I am about halfway through. I stopped because the member who commissioned me to make a replica went AWOL.
I'll eventually get around to finishing it.
Thanks for the reminder.

I've always loved that ray gun design! Would really appreciate any info on an accurate replica kit, or 3D STL files.

Oh man - I love this movie so much. Finally someone creates a prop from it.
I've always loved that ray gun design! Would really appreciate any info on an accurate replica kit, or 3D STL files.

My old laptop slowed down to the point where it was painful to use so I'm using Fusion 360 now instead of Solidworks.
It means that I'll have to make some adjustments or remodel the parts but I can certainly offer a kit fairly soon, if there is enough interest.

I found an old rubber bicycle hand grip and fastened it to a big carpet cutter with no blades…similar to ST: TWOK but with a vertical slit…

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back