2001 Discovery from Moebius

I can't read Japanese, but had a look at the signage. Actually - $540 US wouldn't be bad at all for a kit! If I understand what's on there.

I can't read Japanese, but had a look at the signage. Actually - $540 US wouldn't be bad at all for a kit! If I understand what's on there.

Limited deluxe edition: 1,300,000yen: Built upon order/ taking orders from October 2018: finished model, using 3D printed parts, metal parts etc, distributed outside Japan from Sideshow.

Mass market edition: 150,000yen : to be released Autumn 2019: finished model, using ABS parts, distributed outside Japan from Sideshow.

Styrene kit edition: 60,000yen: to be released Summer 2019: assembly kit, distributed outside Japan from Moebius models.

The photos I posted above are of the prototype for the deluxe edition with 3D printed parts.
I suppose some degree of intricacy (like pipes floating above the surface, thinness of those pipes, voids within minute trusses, sharpness of panel molds running along curved surfaces) shall be sacrificed when this is converted to injection mold-able or cast-able parts.
Also, the 57 feet prop has unique details for each "vertebra", but the mass market edition and the styrene kit edition shall standardize those details to some degree, to lower the cost of making many mold dies.

Kaiyodo is not Bandai. The company doesn't own their own factory were they can perform cutting edge technical R&D, which enabled such kits like the PG Falcon. The number they can sell a 2001 kit cannot be comparable with Starwars items either. So even though the kit edition may cost a bit more than the PG Falcon, it would be difficult to imagine the two being in the same league in terms of technical quality.

Thanks for the information. Good to hear that Sideshow will be carrying the Mass Market edition ($1350) so I can put it on a payment plan. Hopefully, they will put it up for preorder. soon so I'll have a year to pay it off.

Kaiyodo is not Bandai. The company doesn't own their own factory were they can perform cutting edge technical R&D, which enabled such kits like the PG Falcon. The number they can sell a 2001 kit cannot be comparable with Starwars items either. So even though the kit edition may cost a bit more than the PG Falcon, it would be difficult to imagine the two being in the same league in terms of technical quality.

Thanks for the translation!

I would think that the big impact of a model like this comes from the massive size, though. It’s a bit like the De Agostini Falcon. The mould quality wasn’t very good on that model, and the accuracy was mixed. But it has a lot of impact since it’s quite large! :) Still - the prototype Discovery does look great.

While I can appreciate the very crisp details on the Japanese model, I see also that the raised paneling is a bit too thick to be screen accurate (said he, while preparing his Dremel:D)

I still think the panel scribe lines on the sphere are a bit too deep, but the general detailling is beyond fantastic.

Close-ups of the sphere, of the latest prototype. Didn't look too thick or deep at all.

https://twitter.com/Q0vClE9db3MO80Q/status/1023395117997031424

Close-ups of the sphere, of the latest prototype. Didn't look too thick or deep at all.

https://twitter.com/Q0vClE9db3MO80Q/status/1023395117997031424

I totally agree. Everytime I look at an update on this it simply gets better. Its a superb looking model. I keep redoing small alterations on my Moebius based on the details referenced from these photos of this, at some point I 'm just going to give up and finish it. I really do think this is a brilliantly accurate build now, certainly from the latest pics.

Amazing, have to get the Bigger Discovery now, haven’t even started the smaller...man! So much good stuff!

The EVA pod I directly preordered when they announced it, seeing it in the vid makes me even more happy, stunning kit, although I suspected that there will have to be some modding to the interior, it looks like the „interface panels“ are sorta raised or sitting proud on the main surfaces, not sure there. Anyho, will be a really cool model. I got the 1/12 resin kit of Bowman from Atomic City and the 1/6 Figure from Executive Replicas, so I need a 1/8 one now :)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Anyone has any information if the Kaiyodo Discovery its still a go? I have been waiting for the preorder to come for years with no luck yet. I know there was a preorder for the finished deluxe model in 2019 but that was the last time I read any news regarding this project.

I really hope the proyect is just delayed, the model is so amazingly detailed and accurate it would be a true shame if it didn’t get produced.

There is going to be a 1/350 Discovery from Moebius later this year, but no news on the big one from Kaiyodo.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back