Back to the Future - Doc Brown's Nike Vandals (Mod Thread)

Nike is releasing the old style vandals again...time for someone to buy a pair and dye them:lol Oh and I saw a few people saying they had gumsoles... I don't think that is true, I think they were just orange. Maybe BTTFSpencer can tell us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nike is releasing the old style vandals again...time for someone to buy a pair and dye them:lol Oh and I saw a few people saying they had gumsoles... I don't think that is true, I think they were just orange. Maybe @BTTFSpencer can tell us.

I don't know. I'm glad they are releasing more Vandals though, I'll be buying a pair. That'll make a nice addition to my Kyle Reese shoes from Terminator and Doc Brown shoes from Back to the Future, except I'll be wearing them if I'm lucky enough to purchase. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why no photos? People have been asking for over two months, yet you dodge sharing photos. I'm just curious why?

There are very few things that I own in my collection that are unique, things people don't commonly have, I want to have these be something special just for me, that's why.

There are very few things that I own in my collection that are unique, things people don't commonly have, I want to have these be something special just for me, that's why.

In a community that was built on people sharing photos, discoveries, and reference images to the original found objects that were used on the original props... that is kind of a selfish way of thinking in my opinion. All these people that have shared BTTF info about props that I am sure you benefited from.... or the free paper props people like Roland invested hours creating and shared with us, and you, for free, and you want to keep photos of shoes that were found because "others don't commonly have" them?

You are free to do what you want, but I am sure you closely followed the hover board threads with all the abundance of info people discovered and shared. I am sure you followed the Nike Mag thread and appreciated every time someone shared info with you and photos of modifications to improve the Chinese shoes. I am sure you would have been a little disappointed if people over there started holding info about mod techniques, or where to buy the cheaper pair, all because they generally acted like "I found this, you didn't, and it is unique so I am not sharing". This just goes against the generosity this community thrives on. But it is what it is I guess.

In a community that was built on people sharing photos, discoveries, and reference images to the original found objects that were used on the original props... that is kind of a selfish way of thinking in my opinion. All these people that have shared BTTF info about props that I am sure you benefited from.... or the free paper props people like Roland invested hours creating and shared with us, and you, for free, and you want to keep photos of shoes that were found because "others don't commonly have" them?

You are free to do what you want, but I am sure you closely followed the hover board threads with all the abundance of info people discovered and shared. I am sure you followed the Nike Mag thread and appreciated every time someone shared info with you and photos of modifications to improve the Chinese shoes. I am sure you would have been a little disappointed if people over there started holding info about mod techniques, or where to buy the cheaper pair, all because they generally acted like "I found this, you didn't, and it is unique so I am not sharing". This just goes against the generosity this community thrives on. But it is what it is I guess.

There are a lot of images of shoes in better condition online that people can easily access. I am not restricting anybody from having their golden ticket, so to speak.

I've actually encouraged those that need help to colour-match the orange to contact me so that I can help them make their shoes as accurate as possible. I absolutely have benefited from several gracious RPF members and others have benefited from me, more than you know. That is not the point. I don't share photos of my collection in general.

Unique? Perhaps in their wear and tear, but nothing other than your ordinary pair of orange Vandals that were used for some serious basketball playing in the 80's.

So, I've offered to contribute in a significant way with this project, should anybody decide to take it up. Have any other orange Vandal owners done so? Absolutely not. They're showoffs who brag on Instagram and don't respond to comments.

I have contributed to the Back to the Future community outside of this website for the past 10 years and have been acknowledged by the co-creator and producer of those films personally. I'm no user.

It says you live in Orlando. Why don't you take a day off and go visit the Time Train and DeLorean? That sounds a lot more fun to me than seeing photos of some old shoes.

These are releasing on the 21st. The tag on the strap is reversed, orange/white instead of white/orange like the originals. Just a heads up for those still interested in having a pair. The pic and info is from the link below.

DMCF0NPX4AAxHJw.jpg
Style code: AH8605-800
https://twitter.com/endclothing/status/918881554084048896

It's definitely not a deal breaker. I know that some folks want screen accurate looking stuff, which is the reason I mentioned it.
As for the why, that's Nike standard procedure when re-releasing or retro-ing shoes. They always make a minor change so that it's not the same, like Nike colour on the tag or heel, the materials, liner colour, to even the air bubble [they're smaller on some shoes]. It's probably to make it easier to spot retros or maybe just to mess with peoples nostalgia. Who knows...

I guess it's kind of like the toe cap on new bruins... change it slightly so it looks like the original but you can tell it isn't if you look close enough.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back