SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND-The M950 Assault Rifle

morganthirteen

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I enjoyed this short lived Fox Series when it was on back in 1995. It was a shame it didn't have a second season. Out of all the costumes and props featured in it, my favorite was the M950 Assault Rifle. A screen used one had always eluded me, but thanks to fellow member Lowell (EYES ONLY) who had purchased a box of production molds I was recently able to cast up (almost) all the original pieces to produce a copy for myself. Special thanks to Griefboy for sharing the monitor display file he had produced. From those I had my local vinyl shop produce some peel and stick decals. And my good friend Steve R. shared some excellent photos of his screen used one to help with the paint scheme.

I seldom get the time to paint up something for my own collection, and I'm very happy with the way it came out.

Shawn

That Is a beautiful weapon. Is that whole front grip suppose to be the trigger. I loved the show. but It was so long ago that I don't remember much about the weapons..

The marines who used this weapon in the series usually wore big bulky gloves and spacesuit-like armor, so it probably seemed more practical than you would at first think. The marines (not to mention the actors playing them) probably couldn't get a gloved finger in a trigger guard. I assumed that if any gun had a trigger like that, it wouldn't be a hair trigger, it would require a lot of force to pull (you'd need to use your whole hand). But we're probably overthinking here: I'm sure they just designed it that way so the actors would avoid getting their big clunky mits stuck in the trigger guard! Maybe I'm also rationalizing and defending this prop because it's been a huge favorite of mine since I saw the series. I own two screen-used M590s and they are really cool props!

I like the prop, but it is a lousy weapon for Marines. Remember their slogan...Every Marine a Rifleman. There is no shoulder stock for fine targeting, which is okay, because that type of trigger is going to throw their accuracy out the window unless they can find something to brace the rifle on.

The M16 has a folding trigger guard for glove use, if you're wearing thick gloves, you just fold it up. The M950 should have had a handguard like on the Steyr AUG, but I guess they felt that this was more 'futuristic'.

David.

As you can see - Shawn restored the original molds and parts to their original glory. I was one of the first to get his kit. The detail (as always) is exquisite. The beauty of the show quality is breath taking. What Shawn did not mention is that his M590 is not a 200lb blob of resin - He produced the kit in an air-weight - Rotocast - foam for the main body. It is strong, lightweight, reinforced where it needs it - without the bulk weight of solid resin. The lines are clean and perfection. Every detail is cutting edge perfect. The vents in the flash hider and barrel guard/shroud are cut out. Every piece is painstakingly straight, neatly trimmed, with extraordinary detail.

Some people do not like the design - however if you see it - it is mean looking for photos - it looks like a MARINE design - rugged and esigned for exp-atmospheric operations in space suits and a unique wrap around arm stock that is designed for a hip fire using a large face electronic gun sight.

I could not be happier.

I am finally taking my summer break to finish the work.

Some people might want to take a second look at the rifle to appreciate the unique qualities of design and craftsmanship.

THANKS SHAWN !!!

Gordon

Attachments

• 450px-SAABTrio.jpg
    450px-SAABTrio.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 148
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back