Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

I really hope that rey isn't a Skywalker. Even a kenobi is getting too close.

Could she just have some other story? The child of kanan?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I have 2 more propositions for Rey's lineage.

What if she is a Skywalker, but not a Solo. As in, Leia's kid to a different father, she may have remarried after Han took off, that guy is probably dead now, could've been a force sensitive.

Second, and this depends on anyone that can remember better than me. But do we actually hear Han mention the gender of student that betrayed Luke? If not it could be that Rey was a bats*** crazy and powerful kid that just lost it completely. We assume it's Ren because of who he is, but he is choosing the darkside, rather than being seduced by it. Like he's trying really hard to get there, Annakin/Vader once seduced had little conflict at all. Could even be that she is descended from from sith, in movie cannon we got Plaguis, Sidious and Tyranus to choose from. Don't know why this would lead her to be abandoned on Jakku, maybe Luke didn't have it in him to kill a youngling and tried to wipe her mind as much as possible and left her there to fend for herself? But could all be crap if Han mentioned a male student.

Just throwing it in the mix to be mulled over.

Haha! That would be pretty wild. No, I don't think the student's gender is explicitly stated...

Last edited:
I really hope that rey isn't a Skywalker. Even a kenobi is getting too close.

Could she just have some other story? The child of kanan?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The saga films (episodes) are the Skywalker story. It's almost guaranteed that she's a Skywalker. Since there are only two Skywalkers in the galaxy the choices are pretty thin, but my money is on Luke.

Interesting theory, for sure. I'm fairly certain Han knows fully who Rey is. The first thing that made me think so was his expression when Rey was gushing over the lush planet. His reaction was like he was almost biting his tongue, as though he knew she had seen something similar before.

Second - he "offers her a job". I think that was more him trying to keep watch over her.

Lastly, Leia was waiting specifically for her. Imo, there's definitely more going on there.

I'd agree, even bet on the mind wipe. If she was a bad seed, that would be pretty interesting. If so, id also bet on Finn being force sensitive.

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’: J.J. Abrams Explains That Deleted Scene with Maz and the Lightsaber

http://collider.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-deleted-scene-maz-kanata-jj-abrams/

"when you’re in the editing room you realize, for instance, that introducing the character there actually diminishes their power,” Abrams said. “Or, giving that information actually distracts you from what you should be concentrating on. Or, having that moment happen concurrent with that moment actually gets in the way of both — things like that.”​

Is it me, or is JJ really over thinking his editing? Granted, what we got was good, but oh my gosh. I would be perfectly content with Maz sitting on a chair overhearing what's going on during the final battle than simply having her DISAPPEAR entirely from the film for no reason at all. Does he not understand that cutting something out, even if it's presence seems pointless, can still create issues? It'd be like if they cut all of Princess Leia's scenes from the battle of Yavin for reasons that he states in that very same interview.

"she really had nothing to do there of value, except to be sitting around"​

You built a whole entire scene of everyone sitting around and you couldn't include one more character?

I was thinking a kid who was orphaned in one of the big battles and Luke takes her in, then does a mind trick to make her forget after Kylo goes ape crackers because he knows how damn powerful she is and what she's gonna become.

Then he goes Kenobi far away because he knows Kylo is after him plus he wants to find the jedi temple.

We also don't know just what Snoke is and to me that is WAY more interesting, maybe some old sith lord who resurrected?

Well one of the theories is that he's Darth Plagueis but eh, I'm not sure. I'm just glad he doesn't look like a snake as was once rumored. (Snoke, snake..bleh)

Interesting theory, for sure. I'm fairly certain Han knows fully who Rey is. The first thing that made me think so was his expression when Rey was gushing over the lush planet. His reaction was like he was almost biting his tongue, as though he knew she had seen something similar before.

Second - he "offers her a job". I think that was more him trying to keep watch over her.

Lastly, Leia was waiting specifically for her. Imo, there's definitely more going on there.

I'd agree, even bet on the mind wipe. If she was a bad seed, that would be pretty interesting. If so, id also bet on Finn being force sensitive.

Agreed

If she had been the bad seed. Then she would have been in her vision of the past where it showed Luke with R2. Plus the fact that they show us Kylo Ren and the Knights behind him wearing different helmets as well. At that point I would think Kylo would know about her Instead of being shocked and offering to train her.

So,....the biggest movie in decades and a large reason why this site exists and we can not have a few different threads about the new movie. It has to be merged into one huge thread where the discussion is all mixed up.

I started my thread so those who did not like the film could discuss it without being attacked. I also did not want to rain on peoples parade who liked it. Sorry I tried to be courteous and avoid getting attacked by people who are control freaks who don't think others can have their own opinion. You like the movie great. You don't great. Why would I want to control what someone says or how or where they say it????

What the heck was wrong with that. We even got a great discussion going about Ewoks. They rule BTW. People are chiming in commenting on how silly it is to have a thread. Are you mkidding me. This entire site is dedicated to discussing props from make believe.

So,...what we can't discuss,...what the heck. I don't even know how to articulate how ridiculous this is.

How may threads here are discussing Graflex lightsabers, blasters, every ridiculous tiny detail on multiple versions of the same prop.

Do we now have to merge all the Luke V2 saber threads because that thing has been discussed to death????

Seriously what is the problem?????

Oh I am so glad we have created one monster thread so no one can follow any discussion. Really?????

Tom

I went ahead and complained to Art because I think this is bogus. We were having a good time and very few obnoxious people chimed in on my thread. There were a few but they mostly left fast.

This is not what RPF is supposed to be about.

We were even having a fun discussion about how good or bad ROTJ was and most people behaved wonderfully showing you don't have to be an obnoxious jerk to someone who disagrees with you.

I can not imagine why someone feels such a need to control a simple discussion on a discussion forum.

It's the biggest movie in our lifetimes but we have a strict limit on how many threads we can have?????

I'm gonna go start a new Luke V2 thread now because lord knows we don't have plenty of these.

Tom

I went ahead and complained to Art because I think this is bogus. We were having a good time and very few obnoxious people chimed in on my thread. There were a few but they mostly left fast.

This is not what RPF is supposed to be about.

We were even having a fun discussion about how good or bad ROTJ was and most people behaved wonderfully showing you don't have to be an obnoxious jerk to someone who disagrees with you.

I can not imagine why someone feels such a need to control a simple discussion on a discussion forum.

It's the biggest movie in our lifetimes but we have a strict limit on how many threads we can have?????

I'm gonna go start a new Luke V2 thread now because lord knows we don't have plenty of these.

Tom

There's about 100 different threads on the Bandai 1/144 Falcon model in the general modeling forum.

And, go Ewoks!

Okay, saw this Friday morning. I've spent a bit digesting it and have read a lot (a lot) of reviews online -- and not just here. I am utterly baffled and astonished at how vitriolic and ad hominem many of the haters are, boiling down to "if you like this [expletives and descriptives redacted], you're pants-on-head retarded and need to just go die." Many even say they respect others opinions who liked it, before going on to say they're imbeciles for doing so. Wow.

I was 2 when I first saw Star Wars, and 8 when Jedi came out. The Star Wars Renaissance of the '90s hit right when I was finishing high school. So it's no exaggeration to say I grew up with/on Star Wars. Up until the Prequels started generating more and more ancillary material, I could confidently claim that I knew pretty much everything there was to know -- in-universe and real-world -- about Star Wars. I had all the books and comics, I had the West End RPG, I had Topps' card sets and Star Wars Galaxy magazines, I had the computer games and video games and card games, I had the action figures and model kits, I had the various Art Of and Making Of books, I had Bantha Tracks... I grok Star Wars.

So I can understand those who are still upset by the Big Canon Tectonic Shift of 2014. Most of the EU is still in a Heisenbergian state of not-gone-but-not-canon-either, a grab bin the Story Group is encouraging the new writers to rummage through and pull from. And they are. But everything from the wipe to end credits in Jedi on is gone. Truce At Bakura, the Solo twins, Luke marrying Mara Jade... And for those who really, really liked those stories (I'll admit to being more "meh" about those than a lot of the older stuff), anything new in that period is going to have to work extra hard to overcome the loss of near and dear stories and characters.

But the level of irrationality more than a year on is getting tiresome. I was rocked back on my heels by the Announcement, but I have gotten over it and have been reading the new material that's been coming out. Y'all might want to. A lot of the groundwork for TFA is in there. For instance, we meet Greg Grunberg's character as a teenager in Aftermath, a book that also explains exactly what's going on with the Rebublic/Resistance thing so many are confused by. Should more have been explained on the screen, though? Yeah. Not a lot, but some. Drawing from Aftermath, the fact that the New Republic immediately set about working to all but eliminate their military is where the Resistance comes from. Mon Mothma wanted to rely more on diplomacy than might to solve conflicts, and having a standing military would be to tempt force (small 'f') as a viable response. But it's only been a generation, so those folks are still around, and the Republic supported their reorganizing to fight the specific threat of the First Order. Also, to avoid the concentration of power and corruption that happened on Coruscant, the Republic capitol moves from world to world. Unfortunately for the inhabitants of Hosnian Prime, at the time the movie happens, the capitol is there. And like that.

My take:

Loved it muchly. Can't wait to see it again. It definitely felt right, even if it's obvious there was content cut. I'm hoping a bit more is in that material to explain a few things. Max's character I'm assuming is an Alderaanian ex-pat No one else would still consider Leia royalty. It seems the endpiece of the map and Rey were both hidden on Jakku, probably at the same time. While Rey wasn't left with Max's character, I'm gonna say it's no coincidence he's stayed close. Kylo freezing the blaster bolt with the Force was cool, but it shouldn't have resumed its course unabated once he let go. It's like a bullet -- once you stop it, it's stopped. It's not a self-propelled projectile. If they'd made that a mini-proton-grenade, I could get behind that. *heh* The storming and massacre of the village was handled very well. As for Finn's actions... No matter how well trained a soldier is, no matter how conditioned, you never know until they're actually in battle whether they're going to rise to the occasion or crack under pressure. There's only so much indoctrination can do. Maybe if they'd eased Finn up to that level of atrocity, he'd've been okay, but as it was? Too much death of innocents too soon.

I appreciate that the Stormtroopers and TIE Fighter pilots are actually competent. It's just a matter of Our Heroes being better. I love the interplay between Finn, Poe, Rey, and BB-8. Some explanation of this visibly different Star Destroyer and Starkiller Base needed to be there. i.e., where did the First Order come from? Why now? Why all the repurposed old materiel? Those landing craft are decades old, as are those walkers. And it's all well and good to upgrade some of your TIE Fighters for your elite forces, but why did they not have access to any of the newer variants? It all points to something I'm hoping is accurate conjecture. The Visual Dictionary pegs Starkiller Base's origin point (yes, it's mobile) where Ilum is on the old maps. Considering Ord Mantell, Dathomir, and all the other major systems are still in their familiar places, it seems apparent they're not changing things wholesale. Ilum was a snowy world where the Jedi got their lightsaber amplification crystals. The Emperor mined Ilum after the Jedi were gone for really big crystals to amplify the Death Stars' superlasers. What if Hux's dad were the Imperial officer tasked with the mining of Ilum, and was given a larger goal even than the Death Stars? What if it took half a century to make the planet into the Starkiller, with all that kaiber crystal wealth put to use containing and focusing the energy of a sun? And they were out there on the edge of the Unknown Regions and didn't get any new war material, so they're stuck with what they've got, barring what they've been able to build on their own, such as Special Forces TIE Fighters and new troop armor.

Speaking of speculation, Rey and Snoke... Pretty sure Rey is connected to Luke, but I'm feeling it's not in the obvious parent-child way. Wondering if she was in carbon-freeze from way back? Or someone's cloning experiment that Luke found out about and got hold of? I'm wondering if it's significant that she heard Obi-Wan in her vision -- both young and old. As for Snoke, I speculated briefly that he might be the Son, from the Clone Wars' Mortis arc. But I just went back and watched how that ended, and no. That would have been cool, though, I think. I am looking forward to learning more about the Knights of Ren and their connection to the Force, and maybe why Kylo is the only one we've seen with a lightsaber. Also, in her vision of the Jedi Temple massacre, that got me thinking: Why wasn't Luke there? He obviously came back later and burned the remains, but where was he when this was going down? Hiding Rey on Jakku?

I have a feeling Luke ordered R2 into low-power mode until Rey/the map piece showed up. I just wish, if that's the case, that they'd made that clear in the film.

I, also, wish John Williams would bring in an understudy of sorts. He'd still pick and choose what got used where, and do the conducting (of the London Symphony Orchestra, dammit!), but someone younger and with fresh creativity would be on hand to come up with new and interesting themes and variations on them. From the KOTOR games, most recently the TOR MMO, I know there are other composers out there who get the music. I was really hoping they'd use the guy they used for TOR for TFA.

The opening crawl I'm mixed on. Some stuff is good. They've remembered the terse first line, but they went with the wrong terse first line. It needs to establish the setting, and what's changed since the end of the last episode. We can presume (pre Prequels) that the end of the episode prior to the original Star Wars, that it was not a period of civil war. And the beginning of Empire tells us that things didn't go well after the apparently happy ending of the prior film. Jedi dropped that ball, and hard. It needs to go from the general to the specific, leading into the opening shot. The most important thing we need to be told is that a generation has passed. Then, that though the Emperor and Vader fell and their new Death Star was destroyed, the Empire was well established, and a lasting victory and peace took longer to win. Then, get into the First Order and Luke disappearing and Poe being sent to Jakku.

Hux and Phasma made it out, as did Kylo. They'll be back in Episode VIII. I'm hoping Maz will be, too. And I think the final scene was held about fifteen seconds too long, Should have ended with Rey holding out the saber, Luke turning and pulling the hood back, the glimmer of recognition in his eyes and the setting of his jaw, and wipe to end credits. (and @glunark, there's no hard and fast rule as to how much time is between episodes -- three to four years between Star Wars and Empire, a bit over a year between Empire and Jedi, thirty years between Jedi and TFA, ten years between Phantom Menace and AOTC, about two and a half years between that and ROTS, then nineteen years to the original).

And to address a couple specific niggles...

Fun fact: Poe Dameron was concieved the night of the victiry celebration on Endor, as is implied in the Shattered Empire comics

Nope. He was about 2 or 3 at the time. In issue #2, his mom mentions calling back home to her dad to talk to Poe, in whose care they left him when she and her husband went off to fight.

Tie Fighters have ejection seats now?

Always have done. As have the Rebel fighters. This is an actual story point in Aftermath, one that gave me a chuckle.

I think JJ hit the mark with the Star Trek movies, I guess he gets those (think I read he was a fan) but with this I personally felt he was way off target.

Actually, the opposite. He never really liked Star Trek. Found it boring. Wanted to make it more like Star Wars. And, apart from good casting, JJ did anything but hit the mark with those films. They're sub-par movies just on their own, and execrable Star Trek.

--Jonah

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back