Sabine Wren for my wife (new years resolution)

Scottanderson

Hi There,

I have been a member for a while now, dropping past and looking at what other people have been up to. I have built a few things so far, but never posted. Most of my "interest" is really in the Star Wars universe, but lately I have been getting out a little more ;o)

To put some background to this, as a present to myself a couple of years ago i bought a 3D printer, a "Monoprice Dual Extruder 3d Printer", it was when they were very cost effective and just before they were discontinued. I have a love hate relationship with it, if I am being honest, but that is probably more to do with my impatience more than anything else. I will save those thoughts for another day. I am also an engineer with access to some powerful CAD tools which kinda helps too. More background, I am married with kids (2 boys), so my wife is surrounded, there is no escape, however it turns out that she was easily converted to Sci Fi. The catalyst was the re-boot of Battle Star Galactica, that lead to Star Wars, and Chris Hemsworth lead to Thor, thus all of Marvel etc etc. She is also an avid runner, and recently took part in a Disney half marathon, which got me back into making stuff in earnest, I helped pull together a Lady Thor costume which she "personal best-ed" her half marathon distance in. That introduced me to using EVA foam as a medium.

Now the Sabine Part.
I am making a Sabine outfit for my wife, it will be as far as possible based on latest series, I will do everything I can to do it all myself...

1. Making the helmet - I modeled this in CAD, I am not 100% happy with it but I am using it as a first go around,
Sabine Helm.jpgSabine Helm exploded.jpg

Areas I am not happy with are the cheeks and the pointy bit between the eyes. I keep looking at the helmet in renderings and pictures, and its visually strange, from one angle it looks like the cheeks are concave, but from other angles that concavity disappears, so for speed and easy I have left the concavity out on this version. Regarding the pointy bit between the eyes i think it needs pulled back a little towards the fore-head, or the cheeks flared a little. Saying all this i am viewing it on the screen and it may look different in real life.
I split it down into pieces each about 40mm tall and of a length that was good for my printer. (as I don't really trust my printer not to fail 9 hours into a 10 hour print, I have kept the parts smallish).

The first batch of parts are on the printer

on teh printer.jpg

2. The chest piece - This will be EVA foam with a warbla shell.

As I am new to this type of thing, its a bit of guess work, I have patterned up the chest piece, cut out the foam, and overlaid the warbla and formed the two halves into a little more curved shape. Below is a pic of one covered breast plate and one plain EVA breast plate.
breast plate 11.jpg

3. Other parts. I will do my best to keep you all updated on the rest of the build, but I do feel some requests for help coming, in particular thoughts on how to attach the breast plates to the body

Sabine Wren Costume Build

First weeks build so far...

Sunday - 3D modeled Sabines Helmet
Monday - Split the helmet into tiny parts to fit the 3D Printer - started printing
Tuesday - started chest plates - EVA foam & Warbla
Wednesday - Started piecing helmet together - completed the dome
Thursday - made shoulders from Warbla
Friday - all helmet parts off the printer - back and cheeks built & built Sabines hand cannons from wood.

I will attach picks on the next post and add a little more description of what I did at each stage.

SPOILER ALERT…

First draft of helmet is a bit rubbish, I will explain more later.

Thanks
Scott

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back