Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reviewer ratings - 70+ liked it : Man a lot of these are just people posting their view on the internet

User ratings - 44%: These paragons of truth have posted their view on the internet.

/s

Classy.

I was definitely in the "not going to be canon" camp, but a few bits completely took me by surprise.
Aykroyd's cabbie corrected Wiig on ghost classification? Aykroyd and Murray's characters both having strong paranormal knowledge, the government dudes saying this has happened before.
.. very interesting!

Most of the things that were worrying me from the trailers were mostly non-issues in the context of the movie. The lone "fart" joke was actually pretty funny.

classier than being an vocal support/probable shill for a crappy Ghostbusters reboot that should have never happened at all.

Reviewer ratings - 70+ liked it : Man a lot of these are just people posting their view on the internet

User ratings - 44%: These paragons of truth have posted their view on the internet.

/s
I'm having flashbacks to the hater downvote smear campaign on Youtube.

One other review to add to the list. a gb fan site likes it. shocker.

so far spook central seems to be the only slight disenter among the bunch that i've seen. the rest seem to be almost 100% gung ho.

I wish i could remember how the turtle sites handled bay turtles 1, but there arn't really that many KNOWN turtle sites like the ghostbusters community has. but then, i go to one board for my info and that's it, so there might be and i just don't know about 'em. i do remember the message boards being split about 50 50, most with the positive 50 being new fans. the older fans tended to be vocally against it IIRC, but i've tried to block all of that out of my mind

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 644272

There we go. Audience approval rating at 44% as opposed to before the space being occupied by the over 92% "want to see it" hype rating.

I've also been perusing Reddit and other forums and see a lot of pretty big disappointment overall. I saw one stand out saying "I enjoyed it a lot" followed by a 6.5 out of 10.

6.5 out of 10 is a 65%. If I got a 65% on a test in school that was called not having done good on my test. That's passing at a D grade.

That's what i'm not getting is the low rating followed by these "A lot of fun" and "Really enjoyed it" remarks. 6.5 is not a good score to give if you enjoyed it. Man... give it a 7.5 out of 10 or something, that reaches closer to a B rating to match the comment, but even a 7 isn't GREAT...

Interesting read.

My take:

Sony is lowballing its expectations. A ~$40M take will be defended as "respectable," but behind the scenes I bet they'll be disappointed if the film doesn't crack $50M in its opening weekend. Mostly because if it doesn't do well out of the gate, that 50% drop going forward is gonna be a killer and it'll barely break even domestically. Also, no Chinese market to bail this one out, thanks to the Chinese film board (and -- according to Sony -- no intention of trying to run the film there since the first two never played. That sounds like BS to me, though. They'd run the film there if they had a chance because...well, why wouldn't you? It's more potential eyes on the screen/butts in the seats.)

This is probably not going to make an iota of difference for some of you, but read the whole essay if you haven't already.

On My Dad Harold Ramis and Passing the ‘Ghostbusters’ Torch to a New Generation of Fans - Splitsider
Essay from Harold Ramis’ daughter Violet Ramis Stiel.

"As much as I wanted to stomp my foot and align myself with the opposition, there was no way I could stand behind the viciousness and ugliness that seemed to fuel these fundamentalists. From flat-out rejection of women as funny, to remarks about the actors’ looks, to the invocation of GB84 as ‘untouchable’ and disgust with ‘reboot culture’ generally, I was shocked by the anger and outrage. Are these people for real? I wondered. Sure, the timing sucks, but damn! I mourn my dad’s absence in this world as much, if not more, than anyone, but for people to say that he is “rolling in his grave” or would never have let a female-centered cast happen is INSANE. In his personal life, Harold Ramis was a kind, generous, and gracious person. Professionally, he was always about sharing the spotlight and making the other guy look good. Please, stop using my dad as an excuse to hate the new Ghostbusters. It degrades his memory to spew bile in his name."

That's a good article, thanks. My takeaway was Pets pulled in $10.3M on Thursday while GB did $3.4M. Gonna be an interesting weekend.

I should have added my Thursday night takeaway. The 7PM was sold out, granted I'm in a major metropolitan center. The crowd was almost entirely families, especially with young girls. Of course they went in excited and came out loving it. Of course they're folks that have been excited and waiting to see it enough to come out Thursday. So yeah we'll see how the weekend goes. I expect the families that would go would be ones that saw Pets already.

I still think the film should not have been PG-13. All the kids I know that have seen it have been crazy over it. I doubt the rating could hurt it that much but who knows it could end up being a possible factor. At all the events this week my team have been attending we've asked repeatedly by parents if it's ok to take their kids. So it might take word of mouth to get that out there. I just tell them there's the silly flipping off firing scene and the ghosts might be considered a bit scarier than the original, but really not any more so than the Eleanor Twitty librarian ghost or the Zombie Cab Driver. When I was kid they scared the heck out of me.

Interesting read.

My take:

Sony is lowballing its expectations. A ~$40M take will be defended as "respectable," but behind the scenes I bet they'll be disappointed if the film doesn't crack $50M in its opening weekend. Mostly because if it doesn't do well out of the gate, that 50% drop going forward is gonna be a killer and it'll barely break even domestically. Also, no Chinese market to bail this one out, thanks to the Chinese film board (and -- according to Sony -- no intention of trying to run the film there since the first two never played. That sounds like BS to me, though. They'd run the film there if they had a chance because...well, why wouldn't you? It's more potential eyes on the screen/butts in the seats.)

TMNT 2007 made, I THINK $27 million and was number one for one week. that almost got a sequel...but, I think the sale of TMNT to viacom put the squash on it. they even went so far as to do a poster for it. I think it was michaelangelo standing over three de mutated turtles IIRC.

I can't help but wonder if sony would find some way to greenlight a sequel on this just to say 'people love it, screw the haters' even if it just makes $40million and drops off fast soon after.. if they do, i'm guessing the budget won't be as much.

Off topic, but jettajeffro ....IS THAT A PILLOW OF THE VHS CASE?!?!?! So cool! I've never seen one before. Great interview, btw!

sAC2m0n.jpg

Attachments

• sAC2m0n.jpg
    sAC2m0n.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic, but @jettajeffro ....IS THAT A PILLOW OF THE VHS CASE?!?!?! So cool! I've never seen one before. Great interview, btw!

http://i.imgur.com/sAC2m0n.jpg

That's the WORST still you could have ever taken! Thanks, I'm having a viewing party with the team this weekend so I'll finally get to see it. I'm getting swarmed with messages from folks telling me great job so I just have to take their word for it.

Anyways it was on etsy and the lady shut down shop. She did all kinds of cult movies, she'd buy the movie and scan the VHS box. I was just about to order the GB2 one before she disappeared. It's got the back and all the ripped corners visible etc. I love it.

That's the WORST still you could have ever taken! Thanks, I'm having a viewing party with the team this weekend so I'll finally get to see it. I'm getting swarmed with messages from folks telling me great job so I just have to take their word for it.

Anyways it was on etsy and the lady shut down shop. She did all kinds of cult movies, she'd buy the movie and scan the VHS box. I was just about to order the GB2 one before she disappeared. It's got the back and all the ripped corners visible etc. I love it.
That's too cool! I love that she kept the weathering and VHS box funk. That gives me an idea...

I was very pleased with it!
I think one o my favorite lines was when Patty sees all the soldiers and police frozen and she shouts out,"Why y'all like this!" That one had me cracking up!!

I cant tell if youre being serious or not. :lol

I don't get why that is funny either. but I finally figured out the

Mike Hat joke.

My- Kat. Mike Hat. that's why he calls his dog a cat because of it's nickname, Mike Hat.

Of course, the secretary is too stupid to even remember how to breath, so he wouldn't think like that in general. let alone to cover up the fact that his new boss doesn't like cats and he tries to quickly change the subject and... oh god, my head broke.

we pretty much know this movie is another paul feig dumpster fire. and i can't imagine how they stretch it 2 hours,let alone 4...but it's going to be a long weekend to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back