Disney in talks to buy Fox studio assets..

I think from Kennedy's point of view it's an alteration, because she would be altering Lucas' latest vision. Either way, we're getting into semantics here. There are plenty of articles surmising that Kennedy's current intention is not to alter the last versions of the OT in order to restore the original versions.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04...iginal-version-of-the-first-star-wars-trilogy

If Disney were to purchase Fox Studios, it would allow Disney to release the OT and PT on blu-ray, theaters, etc. before 2020. It would also allow Disney to own ANH outright. However, this potential purchase is a separate matter from restoring the original versions of the OT. It would still be up to LFL and Kennedy to decide if they wanted to restore the original versions.

Kathleen Kennedy also said George Lucas was the keeper of the flame. Stated Lucas would be a creative consultant for the new trilogy. Did that happen?

http://www.businessinsider.com/george-lucas-creative-consultant-role-in-star-wars-2012-11

Nope.

http://ew.com/article/2015/11/20/george-lucas-star-wars-force-awakens-breakup/

Guys, we are missing the most important benefit to this...

We can get a Fantastic Four movie to wipe away the stain away from the last travesty.

We think that's already happened, though. Marvel had the TV rights for X-Men, and now Fox is developing X-Men TV stuff. Fox retained everything affiliated with FF in that i.p. bundle, including Galactus, Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer, the Watchers, and the Skrulls. We saw the Watchers in GotGv2, and Skrulls are confirmed in IW. So something happened there...

--Jonah

I get a "deal is dead" link. is that the right one?

The correct statement is that 'talks are not active' not that the "deal is dead". Fox (and Disney) stock was up $2-2.50 today (or 9%) on the news, if nothing else comes of this the price should pull back. The hope is that this spike in value would encourage further talks.

We think that's already happened, though. Marvel had the TV rights for X-Men, and now Fox is developing X-Men TV stuff. Fox retained everything affiliated with FF in that i.p. bundle, including Galactus, Doctor Doom, Silver Surfer, the Watchers, and the Skrulls. We saw the Watchers in GotGv2, and Skrulls are confirmed in IW. So something happened there...

--Jonah

My understanding....
Both companies can use the races. Only Fox can use Uatu or Super Skrull, specifically. And possibly other specific members of those species.

Maybe they can save the Alien franchise by using some of the expanded universe source material and/or just bring back the colonial marines instead of dumb scientists who do everything wrong. Would kill to see an Aliens: Colonial Marines TV series based on the comic run. I'm still mind blown that in 2017 we've yet to see the coolest thing about the Alien franchise return to the big screen: The Colonial Marines.

On a related note, I wonder how Marvel retained tv and film rights over the Inhumans, who first appeared in the FF comics, and which Marvel ultimately decided to underfund as a tv show on Friday nights. Imagine Marvel had actually stuck to their prior plan to produce an Inhumans movie with Vin Diesel (allegedly) as Black Bolt. It seems like Marvel unintentionally sabotaged the Inhumans by reusing Iron Fist's showrunner.

In addition, here's a helpful chart by the geek twins illustrating how the Marvel Universe rights are allocated. However, the chart is a bit outdated as mr southpaw noted earlier that the skrulls and the watcher are actually available to Marvel studios also.
IMG_8805.PNG

--Jonah

Last edited:
I’m inclined to think she won’t do a reissue.

I think she doesn't have as much pull as it seems like. When the day is done, the mouse owns SW...not her. Perhaps, look at her as a sort of figurehead like Stan Lee. Very respected in the SW community, as Stan is in the comic community, but neither has as much power as you would think.

And she likely said she wouldn't touch them because they simply couldn't distribute them due to Fox's rights.

I think she doesn't have as much pull as it seems like. When the day is done, the mouse owns SW...not her. Perhaps, look at her as a sort of figurehead like Stan Lee. Very respected in the SW community, as Stan is in the comic community, but neither has as much power as you would think.

And she likely said she wouldn't touch them because they simply couldn't distribute them due to Fox's rights.

I’ll push back on that. Disney doesn’t run LF, she does and has a tremendous amount of autonomy based on everything i’ve seen or read. Iger has allowed both Marvel and LF and Pixar a hug amount of free reign to run their businesses just as they did prior to Disney ownership, that’s why Disney bought them in the first place.

In response to Mrsouthpaw: I see your point, but it seems like Kennedy has a fair amount of control over the production of the new movies - for example, firing Phil Lord and Chris Miller close to the end of principal photography and then installing a new director. She also arranged for Trank to be fired, pushed out the episode IX director, and arranged for reshoots for Rogue One. So, it follows that Kennedy has even more control over the OT, which will generate less money for Disney than the Disney-produced movies will.
And isn't Kennedy an old friend of Spielberg and Lucas going back to their work together on Raiders of the Lost Ark in the 1980s? That's why I'm not so sure that Kennedy will restore the original versions of the OT. Restoration would be tantamount to tampering with her friend's intended art. That's a much more significant betrayal than not requesting george's input on the new trilogy.
That said, Kennedy or Lucas could always change their minds.

Last edited:
In response to Mrsouthpaw: I see your point, but it seems like Kennedy has a fair amount of control over the production of the new movies - for example, firing Phil Lord and Chris Miller close to the end of principal photography and then installing a new director. She also arranged for Trank to be fired, pushed out the episode IX director, and arranged for reshoots for Rogue One. So, it follows that Kennedy has even more control over the OT, which will generate less money for Disney than the Disney-produced movies will.
And isn't Kennedy an old friend of Spielberg and Lucas going back to their work together on Raiders of the Lost Ark in the 1980s? That's why I'm not so sure that Kennedy will restore the original versions of the OT. Restoration would be tantamount to tampering with her friend's intended art. That's a much more significant betrayal than not requesting george's input on the new trilogy.
That said, Kennedy or Lucas could always change their minds.

But the thing is, they have already been restored by Reliance Media,...new scan......in 4K.....the SE elements were rendered in 2K originally.... so they were either re-inserted as they were,.....will be re rendered....or left out for a unaltered release.....who knows

J

No matter how much autonomy Kennedy has, do you think she has the power to say "We will not do the thing that would earn billions."? Maybe she does have TONS of power, but not that much. Perhaps she should be compared more to Feige, than Stan Lee then.

TFA began production in mid-2014. They have made RO, TLJ, and SOLO since then, roughly 3 1/2 years. Disney wants to make money, and that is fine. That's what allows all those Marvel movies to exist, which I am a huge fan of. But I think it's pretty obvious that Disney would release the original OT if they could because it's 3 extremely popular movies and they don't even have to actually make them.

Last edited:
The thing is though, they make money off the OT without doing a thing. They license the IP. They merchandise. They get royalties off the current release. They are building them park expansions that will rake in millions a DAY. Why spend the money to make more changes and market and distribute a release of a product that onlynerds like us care about when they can continue to do nothing to the OT and make money hand over fist off it? They don't need to do what George did— repackage the same movie every 5 years to make money when they are making new movies that keep the IP fresh and relevant.

No matter how much autonomy Kennedy has, do you think she has the power to say "We will not do the thing that would earn billions."? Maybe she does have TONS of power, but not that much. Perhaps she should be compared more to Feige, than Stan Lee then.

TFA began production in mid-2014. They have made RO, TLJ, and SOLO since then, roughly 3 1/2 years. Disney wants to make money, and that is fine. That's what allows all those Marvel movies to exist, which I am a huge fan of. But I think it's pretty obvious that Disney would release the original OT if they could because it's 3 extremely popular movies and they don't even have to actually make them.

This is not a “billions” dollar proposition. It’s a marginal, niche release to a very small group of fans.

Niche in that it appeals to Star Wars fans over the age of 30 who grew up on the OGOT. Everyone else has grown up on the special editions.Purists and cinephiles do not make up big numbers.

@Bryancd @SethS
I wholly reject the idea that this is a niche number of people. And it doesn't actually have to be cinephiles or purists, just people who are SW fans that want the original OT.

In America there are roughly 120 million people who are 30-60, the prime age for someone to love the original versions. Who saw them as an adult or as a kid in the theaters. That's a lot of potential customers. And, no, I am not saying they would all buy it, but even a small percentage...say 5%. That's 6 million customers. And they would have to pay roughly $85 over the course of the OT for Disney to make about $500mil. And this is just the US.

What amount of 6.5 billion total on Earth might want this?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back