Alien Nostromo interior models

Yeah, must admit I did know that, and was quite shocked when I saw the full title of the Narcissus related novella! But it was a different time I guess!

Yeah, must admit I did know that, and was quite shocked when I saw the full title of the Narcissus related novella! But it was a different time I guess!

It was indeed a different time. I bet most people are as blissfully unaware of the origins of the names as I was, and the connection to Apocalypse Now. I also found some pics online from Roger Corman's Galaxy of Terror, on which James Cameron was a Production Designer & I'll post them later to highlight the similarities between Galaxy, Alien & Aliens.

Here are the pics I found on the net from Galaxy of Terror & I use them to illustrate the similarities between that movie, Alien & Aliens.

On several documentaries about the making of Alien & Aliens, various people referred to the influence of Galaxy (which I had never seen) on both movies. I found it on Youtube and watched it and was surprised at how much similarity there was between them. The pic below shows the bridge of their spaceship, which has similar lighting and confined areas.

Galaxy of Terror bridge.jpg

The one below shows what seems to be a computer room, which sooo looks like Mother.

Galaxy of Terror Mother.png

The crew descend into an alien planet down a vertical shaft. There is no egg chamber like when Kane goes exploring; this time one of them gets eaten.

Galaxy of Terror hole.jpg

The last three show passageways of the human spacecraft and an LV426 colony pasageway. The machines could be what gave Les Dilley, Ron Cobb & Roger Christian ideas for the Nostromo C Deck, and the shape of the passageways themselves could have influenced James Cameron on the design of the LV426 base passageways.

Galaxy of Terror passageway 1.jpg Galaxy of Terror passageway 2.png LV-426 colony passageway.png

I'd completely forgotten about Galaxy of Terror - saw it on VHS at the age of 10 I think, was way too young, but the look of it stuck with me somehow. Thing is, I'd never noticed the similarity to the Alienverse, and you're absolutely right! Very striking :)

WOW... Many of the Galaxy of Terror story and design elements are VERY similar to Alien / Aliens. The sets were really good. Too bad the music and story were... well... ;)

I found a test-photo I'd forgotten I took of the big 'tractor' vehicle, which shows my original build and newer additions when I added more realistic tracks. I used Humbrol 67 matt for both, but the original is much darker than the recent tins, which I'm taking to be either the original paint has darkened significantly over the last 30 years since I first built them, or their colours have changed over the years.

I also include the 'finished' set picture I've posted before as a comparison, a screenshot from the movie, and what appears to be a publicity shot of Parker standing in front of the tractor.

zz39.JPG View 6A.JPG View 6B.jpg Publicity shot of Parker.jpg

I've now acquired wood for the base of the new-build workshop area, and hardboard for the walls and ceilings, and I've built & dressed the two sides of the maintenance access passageway and I'm partway through painting them. I've marked out the workshop area base for cutting, and built the bandsaw, pillar drill & lathe from my box of bits & pieces. I've still not found my camera, so I'm waiting to find someone who can phot the current progress.

I stopped work on the workshop area to concentrate on a few repairs, and the large chamber where Brett goes off chasing the cat, in the hope I could make a ceiling and better support pillars in time for the Coventry show. I didn't make a ceiling for it originally, and deliberately held the camera low to hide this fact. The support pillas were also too small a diameter, but I had to use what was available at the time.

I've since found some bigger diameter wooden dowling, and I've today finished making them both and they just await painting, which I aim to start tomorrow. I've got a new digi camera coming this week, so hopefully over the weekend, once I've learned how to use it, I'll be able to post some pics here. Amazingly the ceiling required very little fettling to make it fit properly, and with the new pillars, it looks much better even unpainted.

Last edited:
Cheers Mr Clyde, that's very kind of you to say so. Alien remains one of my fave sci-fi movies, second only to the great 2001. I should have some more pics to post in a week or so.

I've just taken delivery of a new early birthday present in the form of a new digi camera & here's a few test pics from this afternoon as I just finished painting the new cieling for the large chamber. The first two show why I couldn't take views that showed the entire chamber when I originally built them - no cieling.
Test pic 16.JPG Test pic 17.JPG
The next two show the same areas with the new cieling and better support pillars. The pillars have yet to be painted but are marked out in bands for the grey & gold. I didn't realise there would that much glare as the window was behind me, so the pics are best viewed after sunset when the ambient light level is lower.
Test pic 18.JPG Test pic 19.JPG
This last one show a view looking from the passageway into the chamber.
Test pic 21.JPG
These are test pics, so much of the usual compliment of machinery isn't there at the moment, as it got in the way of test-fitting the cieling multiple times.

Last edited:
The left-hand pic shows a pillar drill and bandsaw for the maintenance workshop made from bits & pieces, and the right-hand pic shows a lathe, again made from bits & pieces, and a diesel generator which was originally the engine from a Me109.

Test pic 22.JPG Test pic 23.JPG

Three views of the maintenance access corridor, not finished yet. The 'walls' are packing pieces from something or other that I've had lying around for about 20 years, dressed with lots of stuff from my bits & pieces box. The light 'grilles' are sections of OO guage railway fencing. It's all just glued together.

Test pic 24.JPG Test pic 25.JPG Test pic 26.JPG

Last edited:
I'm confused as to how Galaxy of Terror (1981) could have influenced Alien (1979). Can you cite the source?

Galaxy was a Roger Corman movie, and he was the king of rushing out a low budget facsimile of a successful big budget movie. Cameron built his skills under Corman, as did Gale Anne Hurd (producer of most of the early Cameron movies, and his wife for a while.)

As Cameron worked on Galaxy of Terror, I can understand how there could be stylistic influences carried over into Aliens.

Yeah okay so I got my dates mixed up re Alien & Galaxy, so the designs of C Deck could have influenced the passageways in Galaxy. There is no source as I made a mistake okay?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back