Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

Well $#it, now im gonna have to get another one too.
Awesome work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

What are the fumes like on those Archive-X paints, Kokkari?
I just smell ILM 1975 when I open a bottle. In all seriousness they are pretty pungent. When you open the bottle they don't seem that strong, but as soon as you run it through an airbrush it gets pretty strong. I've been using oderless mineral spirits to thin the paint which helps, but I think wearing a mask is a must. The good news is the paint smell dissipates pretty quickly after application. Within a couple of hours you can't smell it anymore, which you can't say for some primers and spray cans.

Last edited:

I'd like to try them, but my family is very sensitive to things like paint fumes, even with my spray booth exhausting out of the house. Maybe when the weather gets warmer I can do some painting in the garage and give them a try.

I'd like to try them, but my family is very sensitive to things like paint fumes, even with my spray booth exhausting out of the house. Maybe when the weather gets warmer I can do some painting in the garage and give them a try.

I abandoned enamels a long time ago and switched to acrylics.

Too much of a mess, fumes, pain to clean the airbrush, much more time consuming, etc.

Too much of a mess, fumes, pain to clean the airbrush, much more time consuming, etc.

Me too, but people keep posting pictures of these great paint jobs and its like a siren's call leading me to my doom!

I agree with you 100% on fumes. I don't find the Archive enamels to be any harder to clean up than my acylics. I was afraid of this at first, but the mineral spirits cleans them right up. I also appreciate the longer dry time. It gives me more time to correct mistakes by wiping them off with a swab if needs be. I found that more difficult with my acrylics, but maybe I was going at it the wrong way.

It's good to know that the Archive X paints are now being approved & used by ILM......the FineMolds model that was modified into the Solo Kessel run Falcon that was used for concept/pre-visual use was painted with Archive X Reefer White

J

So had I,....but this is the best, no nonsense paint I've ever used

J

So had I,....but this is the best, no nonsense paint I've ever used

J

I've not had the pleasure of using Archive-X paints, but other than that, the best model paint out there is Mr. Paint (MRP). It's amazing. Believe me, I've spent 100s of dollars testing model paints of all types and brands.

It's good to know that the Archive X paints are now being approved & used by ILM.

Where did you see this? It's my understanding that ILM spun off its model shop when they moved to the Presido a number of years ago and they're strictly digital now. Or maybe it was a Lucasfilm concept model team.

Yep.....A concept modeller for ILM....Guy made the announcement on Fb....after it was shown to the public

J

What's left of ILM's model shop spun off into a company called Kerner Optical, which then reorganized as 32Ten Studios currently.

@gardensnome ,

Mate , that’s a very generous offer .

I’d rather not put you to the trouble , and certainly wasn’t expecting it . You’ve shared more than enough . Thank you .

I mentioned that I hope to purchase a copy myself in the future , and I was just wondering if it would contain photos / images of the 32” as well ? . Your reply that it does , is plenty impetus to continue saving up towards one .

:cheersGed

Hi Guys, sorry it took a little longer than expected but here are the rest of Falcon pages from the Japanese SW Chronicles book. These are the ESB 32" Falcon along with the full-size sets of the interiors.

212.jpg 213.jpg 214.jpg 215.jpg 216.jpg 217.jpg 218.jpg 219.jpg

212.jpg

213.jpg

214.jpg

215.jpg

216.jpg

217.jpg

218.jpg

219.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for your very generous gift @gardensnome . It really is much appreciated :thumbsup .
These photos will certainly prove a valuable reference resource . Being in Hi Def colour is an added bonus !
Will still need/want this book in my hands and modelling library one day soon !:lol

:cheersGed

I might have spotted another possible (very very minor) error of this kit.

It's this strip at the tip of the upper jaw box.

1979mpc_rr.jpg1979mpc_rr2.jpg

It's not about the chipping, but the color.
In the promo photos depicting the initial state of the filming miniature, the strip looks red, whereas in the photos taken at exhibitions, it looks orange. The decal of this strip included in the kit resembles the latter.
I could think of several possibilities;
a) The original red strip fell off and was replaced by an orange one (which was probably when the chipping was applied).
b) The strip, which was originally red, became discolored to look orange.
c) The strip was always orange, but somehow (lighting conditions, mal colored printing etc.), they turned out looking red in the promo photos (in which case, Bandai's decal is correct).

I thought c) was least likely, so I made a red strip out of the decal sheet's Bandai logo to replace the orange one.

Another decal related detail I noticed is this strip.

1979mpc_rrr.jpg

Looking through the archival photos, I think this orange strip was an applied decal. The strip seems to have fallen off and doesn't exist in the present model.
There is no decal for this strip in the kit, although Bandai may have intentionally left this out, as with all the hash marks.
I have also made this out of a spare decal.

I have also noticed that the kit's decals for these strips do not seem to resemble their width very well, so I replaced them also.

1979mpc_rrrr.jpg

I am making very slow progress lately, and am still working on the cockpit quadrant.

DSC06219rs.jpg

DSC06217rs.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back