Tom's Canon Model X

The ESB circuit board appealed to me, as well. I cut down an old Yodashouse version for my Canon Y project.

Looking good, Tom. :thumbsup It's nice to see the grips going on it.

Adding screws to them will make it mo'better, IMO. I like the ESB grip look.

AnubisGuard did double-notched grips with screws on both grip ends on his Canon Y project a while back, and it looked really good.

Thank You! If I do put screws on, they'll be ala DV ESB style on the corners 'cause I already glued these down lol I'm sleeping on it.

Here are some pre-emptive beauty shots
Details on the saber
DSCN3551.jpgDSCN3563.jpgDSCN3546.jpg

Full shots
DSCN3548.jpgDSCN3547.jpgDSCN3550.jpgDSCN3549.jpgDSCN3554.jpg

And now some Graflex comparison shots
DSCN3561.jpgDSCN3559.jpg

That pcb is jammed in there pretty good - the board was thicker than others and I found that out the hard way! It's not going anywhere now, even if that lever and tab weren't holding it in.

Comments, suggestions more than welcomed, asked for!

I'm excited just won a Canon Model Y off ebay, it's my first flash unit saber build. Thanks to yours and a few other recent threads I never knew this existed as a possibility I sepent years looking for a reasonable Graflex.

Thanks and great work man.

Looks great! I quite like the unique d-ring attachment on the bottom too.

Maybe you could add an interesting small knob or thumbscrew between the bunny ears. There's a threaded nub there that's askin for somethin.

Is that a lambo wheel emitter I spy? :)

actually. i got a 1977 v8 kit and there were a few parts from some green sportscar in there. this was the wheel/hubcap! if anyone knows model kits of that era and wants to ID it..id love that!

I don't know what more you could do to it but I call it done!
me too. if the grips fall off ill screw them down. i freaking love the clean look tho, thanks!

Looks great! I quite like the unique d-ring attachment on the bottom too.

Maybe you could add an interesting small knob or thumbscrew between the bunny ears. There's a threaded nub there that's askin for somethin.

thank you! good call, if i find some sexy nut of that threading ill add it. that screw actually came from a V8 kit too.

thd9791,Was your canon a 2 cell? If so what did you use to extend the base. If not, you lucked out, I can't find anything that fits well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The X is the 3 cell version of the Y.

Search the Canon Y threads, everyone has had a slightly different approach. A couple people have metal shops and made their own extensions, one person used a Heiland sync extension flipped over, using the threaded side as a push-to-fit.

I just found an extension that is meant for extending 2 cells. It's an actual camera flash tool-- basically a cylinder with a tripod mount on top. I haven't got it yet, but my hope is it fits the metric mounting port on the bottom of the cannon-- though I'll still have to deal with the mismatched finish.

SethS, thanks a ton, I wasn't able to find any clear answer when looking. I did see the machining method but I'm not that handy nor do I have the tooling. I'l look into the Heiland extension.

hope to post some progress soon.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back