Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they spent a ton on marketing it wasn't on any of the channels i watch, which admittedly are few, but I think they honestly were relying on the controversy once it started to get people in the seats. Why pay for something when every media outlet is talking about it for free.

The one time I worked with Sony marketing they weren't putting out a whole lotta cash. The keyword is "viral" marketing... Do a small thing and let it grow through social media... Let the people promote it

I watched it last night, loved it. It's certainly no Original GB and it will never will be. It's not a perfect movie either, it has flaws like in pacing and scenes that might needed to be in. Also needed time to flush out some characters. Wish it was a bit longer. Also wished the beginning GB song intro more like the old movies intro.

Saw it today in a mostly empty theater. I went in with very low expectations and ended up liking it more than I thought. The start was slow and some of the characters seemed a bit forced in the beginning but seemed to settle in over the course of the movie. Not a great movie, but solid. I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10. I think the last line of the movie summed up the whole movie for me:

"That's not bad... that's not bad at all"

curious what time you saw it.

maybe word of mouth is already spreading if it was an 8pm or later showing. an empty theater in the pm hours is worse than the daytime ones.

I think sony has used up all it's bullet proof, you **** all over this you're a real ass, type of good will on this movie to try and trick people into thinking that they are coming at this with a place of good will. but all of their man hating/nerd hating promotional agenda shows otherwise. so the next few days will really tell how much it drops off...

Remember, there is a rumored Ghostbusters 2017 movie in the pipe being produced by Sonys spin off production company called 'Ghost corps'. This is the movie they are sitting on and if/how it gets produced will play off of how well GB16 does. My Spider senses say that if GB16 is a run away hit, GB17 will be another Mcarthy/Wigg movie. If GB16 tanks I think Sony will kill any GB sequels for the short term. BUT, BUT, BUT.....if GB16 breaks even, I think Sony might pull a Spiderman and reboot the reboot. Rumors have been swirling about an all male GB franchise with Chris Pratt and Channig Tatum.

Given China (second largest movie audience worldwide) has busted access to GB16, Ill make the guess of GB16 doing $140M worldwide. That puts GB16 in the Reboot file for Sony.

reitman claims the pratt rumor was just that. rumor. that one i'm willing to believe him on. it was probably just a feeler that got blown out of proportion.

I think the 17 movie you are thinking of is the animated feature? i never heard of another one except pure speculation.

and regarding franchise goodwill....If i'm starting to hate ghostbusters because of how they handled it...and other people are starting to feel the same way.. I can't imagine too many people who WHERE fans giving anything new a chance, especially if feig is involved. interest in tmnt 2 surprised me in the fan community, as i noticed alot more hate from people willing to give the first one a chance. most didn't bother with it. despite having fan favorites like bebop and rocksteady in it.

I doubt they spent that much on marketing. Weren't people in the other thread complaining because of the LACK of marketing and how that proved Sony was trying to make the movie go away? Now they've spent 140 million on it?

Maybe if we can find a link where someone official gives a estimate I'll believe it.

This is from Forbes Magazine:

"According to BoxOfficeMojo.com, Sony Pictures spent $144 million making the new Ghostbusters movie (not including a separate hefty marketing budget of roughly $140 million).Ghostbusters opens today on 3,950 screens and estimates are that the film could earn between $38 million and $50 million domestically opening weekend."

Full article:

http://fortune.com/2016/07/15/ghostbusters-ivan-reitman-movie/

Ive seen many print, billboards and radio ads plus TV spots. The Progressive GB Ad seems to have gone away for another non GB ad. Say a national TV ad costs $300k per ad per showing, its not hard to imagine how fast that racks up.

GB16 cost a pretty penny to make and promote, there is a lot riding on this.

I thought the trailer looked a little rough and it was a bit gimmicky to choose a cast and green light everything before even starting to write the story, but now that I know they've also done nice things for a couple of people I realized that this can only be quality cinema. Nothing short of Citizen Kane would ever do nice things for some fans (while insulting all other fans).

Sarcasm aside, I know there are some who are determined not to like this film, but at the same time, are it's supporters just completely and totally incapable of liking the movie without making a dig at people who have doubts? Yes they did a nice thing for a fan. Thats fantastic. It really is. For the record, I also think it's nice when kids play with toys. I really do. I don't remember ANYONE ever saying otherwsie, here or anywhere else, but that's also been brought forth as evidence of why this can only be a good movie. It has no relevance whatsoever to the question of "But is it any good?" Besides we mostly don't hate the people. Even Neil who seems to hate this movie with the unnatural fire of a thousand CGI suns has admitted that the people involved are capable of doing good occasionally.

I guess what I'm saying is: the doubters might not be the only ones who need to take a breath because at this point "haters" is a word that VERY easily describes both sides of this particular argument.

We have $5 matinees before noon on Saturday, so that's usually when I go. Saw it at 10:30am so I'm sure that played into the small crowd.

curious what time you saw it.

maybe word of mouth is already spreading if it was an 8pm or later showing. an empty theater in the pm hours is worse than the daytime ones.

I think sony has used up all it's bullet proof, you **** all over this you're a real ass, type of good will on this movie to try and trick people into thinking that they are coming at this with a place of good will. but all of their man hating/nerd hating promotional agenda shows otherwise. so the next few days will really tell how much it drops off...

Sarcasm aside, I know there are some who are determined not to like this film, but at the same time, are it's supporters just completely and totally incapable of liking the movie without making a dig at people who have doubts?
Having doubts and choosing not to watch nor embrace this movie is totally acceptable and understandable. Going on a crusade and bringing a new level of toxicity to the forum discussions is beyond just having doubts.

There are some things I think everyone can collectively see as great when we see it such as things like this.
I am glad you see it that way and I hope you're right. With the current times, some are bound to find cynicism and agenda to be involved regardless of the gesture.

Just got back from seeing it.

I honestly don't know how to say this with all the I am just extremely happy with it. I laughed, I got excited, there was real chemistry between the characters and everyone felt like they really cared about what they were doing. I put my faith in Paul Feig and I was awarded with a darn good time. This made my day great!

And my sister liked it too!

This is from Forbes Magazine:

Thanks for the link! Looks like they do have some money to make up. I wonder if they thought at the time they would be getting some of the Chinese market money or if they knew it may be troublesome due to the history of ghost movies over there.

I guess what I'm saying is: the doubters might not be the only ones who need to take a breath because at this point "haters" is a word that VERY easily describes both sides of this particular argument.

that i can agree with. lots of hate on both sides even though some don't see it. although i tend to notice supporters try to make the haters look bad and shame them for how they do things... not all, mind you, but it's out there. that just makes the resolve stronger.

anyway, back to business...
Theater report.

went to go see pets tonight at an amc. the ticket lady said that business for feigbusters has been so so. nothing spectacular.

the weird.
I went down the aisle to see if i could find the theater it was in, passed every one and nothing. OK. This theater only had it on two screens, and two showings a day each. 2D is only at 1:30 and 10 PM oddly. I walked up and down the aisles....passed every screen. I could NOT find the theater for both. Ok. the 7:30 3D didn't start yet and one theater wasn't listed.
I got out, walked down again, the one theater without a listing got replaced with dory, could not find ghostbusters just to peak in and see the crowd. very odd. unless they think it's not going to stay very long and didn't bother changing the wrong tag.

other thing interesting to note. 7PM showing, pets was maybe half full. if GB's is barely beating pets or creeping up on it...maybe that's the average audience size for it minus the rare full theater. and i don't doubt there are full theaters. i just happen to think that when you insult your audience....people don't show up. imagine that.

-edit -
if you want to play the game of 'guess the lie', by a writer who's part of the fanboy of feig, have at it. particularly funny is the story of how he got murray to agree to this. i guess litigation didn't get mentioned. also, as i seem to recall it, murray saying mcarthy should do the next one happened BEFORE feig got his idea, and may have been the catalyst that got this all going. http://deadline.com/2016/07/paul-fe...-trump-leslie-jones-kate-mckinnon-1201787413/

Last edited:
that i can agree with. lots of hate on both sides even though some don't see it. although i tend to notice supporters try to make the haters look bad and shame them for how they do things... not all, mind you, but it's out there. that just makes the resolve stronger.

anyway, back to business...
Theater report.

went to go see pets tonight at an amc. the ticket lady said that business for feigbusters has been so so. nothing spectacular.

the weird.
I went down the aisle to see if i could find the theater it was in, passed every one and nothing. OK. This theater only had it on two screens, and two showings a day each. 2D is only at 1:30 and 10 PM oddly. I walked up and down the aisles....passed every screen. I could NOT find the theater for both. Ok. the 7:30 3D didn't start yet and one theater wasn't listed.
I got out, walked down again, the one theater without a listing got replaced with dory, could not find ghostbusters just to peak in and see the crowd. very odd. unless they think it's not going to stay very long and didn't bother changing the wrong tag.

other thing interesting to note. 7PM showing, pets was maybe half full. if GB's is barely beating pets or creeping up on it...maybe that's the average audience size for it minus the rare full theater. and i don't doubt there are full theaters. i just happen to think that when you insult your audience....people don't show up. imagine that.
To help keep Feigbusters theaters empty, it helps that Star Wars Celebration has been streaming live all day.

Saw this on twitter this morning.

ghostbusters.jpeg

To help keep Feigbusters theaters empty, it helps that Star Wars Celebration has been streaming live all day.

I still can't find this mythical live stream link :)

First person to find uk box office numbers for this turd wins a prize. supposedly it opened 3rd in some places behind movies two weeks old or more and that's why they are refusing numbers released. apparently our friends across the pond are smarter than us.

--
edit
----

according to imdb, and i doubt this one, but with how crazy the world has gotten, it wouldn't surprise me with the NYCC story.....supposedly a denver man killed himself after seeing this movie reported on fox news, but no one provided a link. hmm. depressed nerd being hated on by sony and sees the film is a disaster... like i said, wouldn't surprise me in this crazy world.

Last edited:
Saw it Friday night, twice. Took my fam and headed out to Macon to see it with some of the Georgia Ghostbusters. We handed out candy and posed for pictures and such.
Good movie made all the better by having great people to share it with.

I'll be honest when the news of the reboot hit I wasn't sure what to think. I never said anything negative, just that I would reserve my own personal judgment until AFTER I got to see it for myself. My daughters, on the other hand were totally psyched about it from day one. They love the original Ghostbusters and that's not much of a surprise, because how far can the apple fall from the tree?

After having seen the movie I can say that I really did enjoy it, it was better than I was expecting it to be (I try not to get my hopes up with Hollywood), nay I say better than I had even hoped it could be! The roaring cheers, clapping, and even dancing of the movie goers during the show was evidence of that. It wasn't just a trip to the cinema, it was an event.

What more can I say? Go see it for yourself.

IMG_0015.JPG

glad so many positive reviews. I was planning to see just out of curiosity, but now it looks like it may be worth seeing. Nice.

Last edited:
Yesterday was going to be the make it or break it day in my mind for GB16. It faces strong competition from Pets Ice Age 5? and Star Trek next weekend. With Dory and Pets still killing it in the Box office (family) and Trek (Sci-Fi crowd) coming out next weekend, this doesnt leave a whole lot left over for GB16. Late foretasted estimates are coming in at $47M domestically and $65M internationally for the weekend. Boxoffice Mojo wrote a great article this morning regarding the numbers and projections. They think it will fall somewhere in the $135-$145M range when the dust settles.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4207&p=.htm

Ill link a good page that explains the numbers in depth, but GB16 needs to take in $522M just to break even. This accounts for advertising and various payouts including theater owners and Netflix/Airline/Download. What people dont realize is that there are a lot of fingers in the pot. Writers, actors might have a percentage written into their contract. In short, if you want to know how much a movie needs to make to break even, take the production budget and times it by 373%. That will give you an all in ROI.

https://storyality.wordpress.com/20...n-feature-films-and-roi-return-on-investment/

GB16 needs to create the same amount of stir and fan base as the original, Toys, Tshirts, GB branded stuff will fly off the shelves to add to that $522M break even point.

I dont think that 'Hating' on this film does any good. And I mean that on both sides. At the end of the day, Its a piece of entertainment. The economics of the business will determine if the film has merit. For the true anti women, destroy my childhood crowd, ...the Anti GB16 efforts only caused the studio to dig their heels in and do what they wanted. This should be a teachable moment for both sides. Make the film the fans want, pass the torch and you will hit a home run. And conversely, starting a viral women bashing campaign is only gonna cause the makers to resolve. I cant remember when I last heard a studio say, 'Yea, we made a mistake with that movie'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back