I need a light-upTron kids costume quick and cheap

squirk

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is for my 7-y.o. Accuracy is not an issue. All he cares about is the costume lighting up.

And since he is growing like a weed, this costume will likely fit him for six months before he outgrows it. Point being - long-term durability is not an issue either. I really just need it to last me a few nights of ToT and kids costume parties.

My thought was to use the generic base kids costume, and use black craft foam to build up some depth between the black areas and the lit areas of the costume, so there is a "channel" or "groove" that allows me to really anchor down the lighting hardware.

I found this on the interwebs, and it looked like a fairly easy, fairly low-cost approach: http://www.instructables.com/id/Tron-Costume/. Essentially, he uses LED strips as a cheaper, "good-enough" alternative to lightsheet.

I was wondering if anyone here had a better idea or a better method to getting this done quick and cheap?

Thanks!

Nice idea I like it lots. 7? They grow up fast huh..

Anyways, the LED strip idea sounds like a nice cheap and simple way to go but as far as the costume goes you could pass the look off with the craft foam on some black pajama pants and a sweater. This would make bathroom breaks easy too (which can sometimes be an issue with kids and closed up cosumes. But I think you have a great base idea.. goodluck!

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Nice idea I like it lots. 7? They grow up fast huh..

Anyways, the LED strip idea sounds like a nice cheap and simple way to go but as far as the costume goes you could pass the look off with the craft foam on some black pajama pants and a sweater. This would make bathroom breaks easy too (which can sometimes be an issue with kids and closed up cosumes. But I think you have a great base idea.. goodluck!

Thanks. The base costume is pretty cheap, given that the movie is - what? - seven years old now. Also, the print on the costume will serve as a good guide for placing the lights.

Thanks. The base costume is pretty cheap, given that the movie is - what? - seven years old now. Also, the print on the costume will serve as a good guide for placing the lights.
Well if it is cheap than get it! Lol! Make sure to post pics though because I want to see how this turns out;)

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back