Iron Man 1: Jarvis Keyboard (w/pics)

xl97

Master Member
After some time looking for the correct font...

here: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=261968&page=2&highlight=Tony+Stark+keyboard

I did a mock run using my original artwork instead...

*I'll need to do some more tests, since it took a very long time to engrave.. so I'll need to play with some settings to see if I can get same quality but in less time.

I use a scrap piece of 1/4 acrylic (cast) for the initial tests..

I feel it came out great!

IMAG0693.jpg

IMAG0694.jpg

IMAG0695.jpg

IMAG0696.jpg

IMAG0697.jpg

IMAG0700.jpg

IMAG0701.jpg

feedback appreciated.. anyone see something I may have missed? errors? typos?...etc

Next.. I'll do some:

* more tests in acrylic with different settings to see about getting better run times.
* I have never molded/cast anything.. might be a good project to start with to make the keyboard pieces.
* decide on how to make electronics function.. (I have no issues technically, I just need to finalize a feature list)

anyone has some suggestions on the demo piece above.. let me know.

If anyone wants to chit-chat about the electronics side of things.. feel free to post.

Most likely Arduino based.. leds lit-up.. motion detection..etc (probably similar to Ryan's (The RealTonyStark) project in behavior)

Thanks for looking!

I've just started my first job that actually pays a reasonable amount of money. This post finally convinced me to make an RPF account.
If anyone wants to chit-chat about the electronics side of things.. feel free to post.

Computer Engineering student here, I like to think I'm pretty good with this sort of small electronics. What're you thinking for functionality?

Iron Man is my favorite movie of all time and I would be thrilled to be able to make this properly badass.

dgdve
thanks! :)
garnt

The 'functionality' is what I wanted to get some communication (chit-chat) going on about! :)

I was planning on doing the electronics side of things myself.. (unless something insanely more proper was used that was way over my head of course!) LOL

I am extremely happy with how the initial test turned out on acrylic. I still have not done any tests on glass. Nor have I looked into getting the pieces pre-cut from glass yet either.

but I have a starting point at least.

As for you staring an account for this.. there have been others (here) who have attempted/started it.. ..and at least one member (TheRealTonryStark) who completed one to a functioning prop.

(if you wanted to search here or on YouTube for example)..

Heres Ryan's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZgq7DscsbQ

anywho...

from what I recall from the movie (and its been a while.. this project has been on the burner for quite some time as well)...

Tony/RDJ waves his hand across the 'keyboard" (saying something like: "Jarvis you awake")...

and the keyboard illuminates.

I think Ryan just used photocells to detect the 'faux' keyboard interaction... (seemed decent enough)

but if there is a different idea... throw it out here! :)

I'm also not sure how screen accurate the black pieces are?

I have never really molded/cast anything.. so this will be fun.

interaction:
---------------------------------------

* 'wave detection' (start-up)... same photocells as used to detect key/finger taps?
* finger taps/key presses (faux)... photocells?
* 'timed' shut-off after no-interaction
* anything else?

random list:
* both pieces need to have/house leds (5050's might be nice.. but I can work with 1206 or 0603 leds if needed)
* leds needs to be connected from 'both' bottom pieces (thin gauge wire?.... copper traces on edge of glass perhaps? (covered with a black coating/tape/seal)

/random toughts

Last edited by a moderator:
As for you staring an account for this.. there have been others (here) who have attempted/started it.. ..and at least one member (TheRealTonryStark) who completed one to a functioning prop.

This has been a community that I've ghosted the hell out of for awhile now, I'm just finally in a position where I can support the hobby monetarily. I'm stoked to start helping out and learning from everybody.

But anyways, point by point:
(All links after explanations)
interaction:
* 'wave detection' (start-up)... same photocells as used to detect key/finger taps?

This one is probably best sorted out by photo cells. The obvious solution to this is to have it turn on when the light level drops by a certain amount. If you felt particularly fancy you could do something with IR LEDs and some IR-pass lenses but that's pretty unnecessary.
* finger taps/key presses (faux)... photocells?

You could do the photocells again, but it'd be pretty inaccurate. If you're feeling slightly more adventurous, grab a capacitive touch sensor arduino shield and some capacitive glass (expensive) or capacitive film (much less expensive), and engrave that/lay that over your engraved piece. Then it'll actually respond to you touching it.

Shield: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2024
Glass: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITO-coated-...sq-/302310332008?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275
Film: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITO-on-PET-...890973?hash=item3f6a45ad9d:g:6lMAAOSw44BYFPLz

* 'timed' shut-off after no-interaction

This is just a programming issue.
* anything else?

How about the JARVIS quote during the scene?
"JARVIS, are you awake?"
"For you sir, always."
random list:
* both pieces need to have/house leds (5050's might be nice.. but I can work with 1206 or 0603 leds if needed)

Unfortunately all Arduino-ish dev boards that you'll come across either run off 3.3v or 5v, so you're gonna need some sort of MOSFET or relay to power the 12v LED strips. Personally, I'd take the relay approach, but if you don't want to hear an audible *click* every time the LED's come on you can probably get away with a MOSFET depending upon the current draw of the LEDs. You're probably also going to need a buck converter to downconvert from 12v LED power to 5v arduino power.

* leds needs to be connected from 'both' bottom pieces (thin gauge wire?.... copper traces on edge of glass perhaps? (covered with a black coating/tape/seal)

I personally would fill up one of those entirely with a battery and run 4 wires across that gap:
- +/- from the battery to the other half
- +/- from the other half to power the LEDs in the half with the battery

Thoughts?

Yeah... photocells is probably what I was going to use as mentioned (saw it in Ryan projects.. seemed to work decent enough)..

As far as accurate finger presses.. I wasnt going for that.. but I'll check out the links. Its not its a functional keyboard (although I can add in a Pro-Micro to act as a HID device)..

Also.. if I make a few of these.. the cost needs to be a concern somewhat. A film wont work, since the 'engraving' it what is catching/diffusing the light for the 'keyboard' to 'show'.. I dont think it'll work with a film type approach..

Capacitance glass that can be engraved would be the only viable 'alternate' solution that is plausible IMHO. (but again.. havent read your links yet, and I'm not all that 'up-to-speed' on how it would all work)..

I could do the Jarvis quote upon boot up... shouldnt be an issue.

Regarding the led comment.. yeah if I end up needing more leds than any pins/output can handle.. I'll use a transistor/mosfet to trigger the load/current...etc.

I also havent ruled out any use of Neopixels or DotStars..etc..

(I also have several +5v led strips..like the blue strip used in the demo pics above....... I never use 12v strips for anything)

ok.. so back to (updated) feature list! lol

* wave of hand boots/start up keyboard (boot sequence)
* playback of Jarvis quote
* detection and tone playback of finger/key presses
* times shut off after period of in-activity

Another/side question.. this pertains to the plastic pieces around/along the keyboard... I havent been able to find an image with an angle that lets me know for sure (100%) if the edges of those are beveled or flat? LOL..

* one plus to my original/source file has the text as a real FONT and not traced from an image (like many others and my initial attempts) :)

example pic of the (I believe) the original prop:

http://www.ronmendell.com/RonMendell/Images/Ironman_1/Jarvis_KBD.jpg

to me.. it looks like the 'handles/edge pieces' are bevels somewhat?

garnt

So I took a look at those links you posted (thanks)

I have seen the capacitance shields before.. same as the 'makey makey' boards...

I like the 'idea' of conductive glass however (price aside)...

but I'm not clear on how you can actually 'pin point' a specific place on the glass? (or were you just suggesting that any touch would 'trigger' a sound clip playback?..because its not a real keyboard, any touch -anywhere- is better precision that using a photocell/diode..etc approach?)

^ THAT I understand... but if you mean like detecting specific 'key' presses... then I'm not clear how that would work? (without a ton of 'connections' to each key/places on the glass)

xl97 Yeah basically it'd just tell you if it was touched anywhere. I'm sure if you were smarter than me and you had some FPGAs or something that could switch through signals really quickly you could run some current through the glass in a few different places at regular distances and basically just figure out "hey, the capacitance was greatest at this point in space" and that's the key that you press. The point of using it would just be "hey, I touched it and it did something" instead of "hey, I got close to it and it did something." It's not really cost-effective but IMHO it would make it seem way cooler.

I drew a picture of how a proper glass keyboard it may work. Enjoy:
capacitance, probably..png

- - - Updated - - -
devildog12 That Leap Motion thing is dope but unfortunately I think it would need to be mounted apart from the keyboard so it wouldn't be one piece.

...But if someone made a VR app of the Stark Garage with the keyboard in it I would buy one on the spot.

never heard of leap motion before.. (googled it).. looks fun!..

but you need the goggles/headset! (makes the project & prop not very accurate & a lot more money!) LOL..

but programming it/an app sounds like fun!.

yeah.. that is also how I imagined the set-up being on the keyboard if you wanted a gird/ (matrix) type of 'set-up' to detect presses..

however just a simple touch/connection (anywhere) on the board I think is good enough for this project.

might be worth looking into for a handful of these...I dont think the price would lend itself to many wanting this added feature..

Got some cast acrylic finally, and some time to circle back to this project,.... (after doing some pcb re-design stuff the last few days/weeks for a DC-17 run)...

I did a full etch & test....

Changed the settings up some, and it was a little faster, but not much. (I'll have to compare both the initial test and this full size test)

This is 1/4 cell cast acrylic on the tests/pics..

Once I figure out the handles (which I'd like to discuss with anyone who has interest)... I'll focus on getting the glass versions (not sure if this too will be 1/4 thick! lol)

Also looking into: Indium Tin Oxide Coated PET sheets for part of the electronics as a variant.

feedback welcomed/appreciated.

IMAG0720.jpg

IMAG0721.jpg

IMAG0722.jpg

IMAG0723.jpg

IMAG0724.jpg

IMAG0725.jpg

IMAG0726.jpg

IMAG0727.jpg

thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back