Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, Ghostbusters 2016 explains it.
No, it doesn't explain the attitudes around here. It's poor form to revel in the misfortune, or failure, of others, even if they brought on themselves. They misjudged the audience. They made a film that served an agenda other than just being good or entertaining. Perhaps they made a film that was just plain bad. Whatever. It's not the end of the world, or even the franchise. Well, it wouldn't be, except that everyone just keeps piling on the hate.

No, it doesn't explain the attitudes around here. It's poor form to revel in the misfortune, or failure, of others, even if they brought on themselves. They misjudged the audience. They made a film that served an agenda other than just being good or entertaining. Perhaps they made a film that was just plain bad. Whatever. It's not the end of the world, or even the franchise. Well, it wouldn't be, except that everyone just keeps piling on the hate.

I guess they continued to make batman movies right after batman and robin, huh? Poor robin never saw the light of day again.
If this is the regirgitated stereotyped un original CRAP that we would get if the franchise continued (and just look at some of the dialogue in that horrid game that sunk a whole company before it came out, or the oddest 'adult' novel i've ever read excerpts out of.....'light bulb head?') it's better off dead and buried, never to live again. I'm willing to live with that as a former dedicated fan if it's for the good of the franchise..

I know it's an exercise in crazy futility explaining this for the 20th time...but if you get spat on by producers coming into a franchise you helped keep alive for 30 years.....
you're supposed to just sit there, take it and say 'thank you for giving us something we didn't ask for, and insulting us all the way' to boot?

what kind of logic is that? especially since you have creators these days firing back at people simply for giving opinions like you insulted their mother? eventually the paying audience has to start fighting back somewhere.

not that it'd change anything in the ego tistical hollywood, but it sure does feel good to finally be free to do so when needed

The point Tan is, I think, trying to make is that you've SAID it. Again. And again. And again. And again.

When, exactly, are you going to admit that this dead horse has finally been beaten into a fine paste and move on?

When I get bored with it ;o)

and people stop asking wondering why we keep on doing thing this when it should be, as you stated, pretty dang obvious by now ;o).

someone asked, I answered....

I will continue to trash this thing as new stupid things come out until the dvd is released...then it's time to leave it alone for a bit..

what I don't get are the folks who stick around and keep on wondering why this thread is the state it's in. just move on if it bothers people so much.

I'll move on when i'm ready ;o)

as of now, I've never had so much fun watching something so arrogant fail....and will continue point it out again and again and again..

I know it's an exercise in crazy futility explaining this for the 20th time...but if you get spat on by producers coming into a franchise you helped keep alive for 30 years.....
you're supposed to just sit there, take it and say 'thank you for giving us something we didn't ask for, and insulting us all the way' to boot?

what kind of logic is that? especially since you have creators these days firing back at people simply for giving opinions like you insulted their mother? eventually the paying audience has to start fighting back somewhere.

not that it'd change anything in the ego tistical hollywood, but it sure does feel good to finally be free to do so when needed
Other than being a movie that just plain sucked and made no sense for its existence, this is one of the reasons why a lot of GB fans hate Feigbusters and will never be accepting of it.

Again, you're missing the point, and willfully so. It's not the "misfortune of others". Please. Once again subscribing to and perpetuating mentality a culture of victimhood to excuse failure. There are no "victims" in this scenario. This movie and it's creative team had an agenda from day one, and they were using this movie as a vehicle to promote it. Not only that, but their well-established track record of disrespect for and toward the fans is deplorable. The most hateful things said through all of this came from them as they scrambled to paint themselves as victims of bigotry and sexism to cover their obvious failure. And, shame on them all. It's all out there for those who are willing to, or are even able to see with honest eyes. So, yeah. You bet it's great to see it all crash and burn. They reaped what the sowed. There should be accountability in life. This is one small example of that.

So we were having a family get together last weekend at my parent's place, and on their wall is a pic of me, my brother and my cousin dressed as ghostbusters for Halloween. My little cousin, Catherine, was just wearing a sheet, and a sign around her neck saying "caught by ghostbusters"....

So my cousin Catherine was showing her daughter, and her daughter asks "why weren't you a ghostbuster?" and she goes "Cuz there wasn't a girl ghostbuster"

"But there are now..."

"Well if you want to be a ghostbuster this year, maybe your uncle can help you out... he likes to build things"

So I asked "Which proton pack you want? Original or new version?"

"New one..."

Alright I have an assignment! It'd be great if I could get all her other cousins involved and make a team, but at the same time, I don't really know how I'm going to build one, yet alone 4.

Ghosbusters-2016.jpg

Again, you're missing the point, and willfully so. It's not the "misfortune of others". Please. Once again subscribing to and perpetuating mentality a culture of victimhood to excuse failure. There are no "victims" in this scenario. This movie and it's creative team had an agenda from day one, and they were using this movie as a vehicle to promote it. Not only that, but their well-established track record of disrespect for and toward the fans is deplorable. The most hateful things said through all of this came from them as they scrambled to paint themselves as victims of bigotry and sexism to cover their obvious failure. And, shame on them all. It's all out there for those who are willing to, or are even able to see with honest eyes. So, yeah. You bet it's great to see it all crash and burn. They reaped what the sowed. There should be accountability in life. This is one small example of that.

Very well said, you said it better than I could have, but thats exactly how I feel about it. Hopefully its an example to studios of what NOT to do on how they market, or greenlight future films. Who knows, aside from the ecto cooler, there could be another positive to come from all this.

- - - Updated - - -

So we were having a family get together last weekend at my parent's place, and on their wall is a pic of me, my brother and my cousin dressed as ghostbusters for Halloween. My little cousin, Catherine, was just wearing a sheet, and a sign around her neck saying "caught by ghostbusters"....

So my cousin Catherine was showing her daughter, and her daughter asks "why weren't you a ghostbuster?" and she goes "Cuz there wasn't a girl ghostbuster"

"But there are now..."

"Well if you want to be a ghostbuster this year, maybe your uncle can help you out... he likes to build things"

"New one..."

Alright I have an assignment! It'd be great if I could get all her other cousins involved and make a team, but at the same time, I don't really know how I'm going to build one, yet alone 4.

View attachment 660349

I bet that team of ghostbusters trick or treating would be more enjoyable than this movie. :lol

I'm still wanting to do an original Ghostbusters costume for myself... if I did it, I could go with them!.. I would hover a foot or so above them... It would be a good pic to match with the one on my parents wall.

Especially since our costumes back in the day were ghetto... we had matching purple sweat pants and shirts... just so we at least matched as a team.

We had black painted boxes on our backs with ice cream bucket lids for the circle part... telephone cords running to caulking tubes.

I can finally have another go at it!

"But there are now..."

"New one..."

View attachment 660349

PLEASE post pics! I could care in the least about the politics of this movie, sounds like a fun and very awesome project :)

PLEASE post pics! I could care in the least about the politics of this movie, sounds like a fun and very awesome project :)

I won't be there again for a while, but I think I have a copy of the photo in my own collection... I'll look for it.

It would be great to do ALL of us in GB costume... simply cuz me and my brother now LOOK like shlubby garbage men.

The point Tan is, I think, trying to make is that you've SAID it. Again. And again. And again. And again.

When, exactly, are you going to admit that this dead horse has finally been beaten into a fine paste and move on?
There seems to be a facet of the fandom that solely focuses on what they don't like. I agree, it's strange. It seems to be a hobby of love vs. a hobby of hate. At first it was annoying, then it became legitimately funny/entertaining. There's really no end in sight.

Truth be told, there's a lot of exciting things happening in the fandom right now, with even more coming down the pipeline. None of it has anything to do with GB16.

...but if you get spat on by producers coming into a franchise you helped keep alive for 30 years.....
Like I said-- entitled fans. ;o)

Yeah I read an interesting article about the weird entitlement of fans these days... How the internet has made it so that these guys - just because they paid to watch the movie - now feel like they have a say in what the people who actually own the property want to do with it.

They don't.

And when they don't get their way, they bitch and moan and carry on like babies about it... some person at Marvel had death threats - had to quit social media because of it.

These fans that "kept the movie alive" for 30 years... they aren't owed anything... the movie was kept alive because it was good. It wasn't some weird cult classic that bombed and then grew a slow fan base... It was a great idea that would have probably been remade no matter what.... even if there weren't ghostbusters groups.

They're making another Gremlins and (as far as I know) there's no huge fan base keeping it alive.

If anything these fans are killing any chance of a good Ghostbusters film being made.

1. They didn't make their investment back because of poor choices... so not likely going to try again for a while

2. When they do try again, they know the fan base that does exist is willing to try and destroy the lives of anyone involved if they don't like it.

Yeah, sounds fun, let's make another.

It's fandom that is fixed on being punitive and apparently taking joy from being punitive. Pointing out that as an unhealthy fixation isn't being PC or suggesting people aren't a,lowed to be critical of something, but taking so much happiness from being negative means you are kind of a sh*#y person. And a lot of the arguments made are not well considered or thought out, they are borderline juvenile and fail to engage in any meaningful discourse. I hope to not see this spread to other discussions, Any time you are trying "to teach someone a lesson" you have already lost.

i can't believe this thread keeps popping up to the top of the page...

Last edited:

"But there are now..."

They were wrong not to let her be one then. People are still wrong to think that it's made OK by having the new movie now.

It's OK for girls to dress as Ghostbusters, not because a new movie said so, but because this isn't 1940 and we're not Archie Bunkers grandfathers.

Probably a better lesson than "It's OK now, because Paul Feig gave us permission"

having said that...the new pack has also grown on me. Especially when it's lit up.

- - - Updated - - -

It's fandom that is fixed on being punitive and apparently taking joy from being punitive. Pointing out that as an unhealthy fixation isn't being PC or suggesting people aren't a,lowed to be critical of something, but taking so much happiness from being negative means you are kind of a sh*#y person. And a lot of the arguments made are not well considered or thought out, they are borderline juvenile and fail to engage in any meaningful discourse. I hope to not see this spread to other discussions, Any time you are trying "to teach someone a lesson" you have already lost.

edit:

Any bets on how long until the next hypocrite shows up to attack people here AND complain that they respond keeping the discussion alive, all in the same post? Double points if they can attack the posters here WHILE complaining about the negativity.

Free hint: one way to keep negativity out of future discussions is to STOP attacking other posters.

Probably far to radical an approach to work. But before you climb back onto the high horse, I have personally seen you chase people out of three different threads here because they disagreed with you. This is just the only one where someone was stubborn enough not to leave when you decided to get personal. Want to stop the negativity: look in the mirror. Did you not even notice that the last three posts were attacking them? Are you REALLY somehow thinking they won't respond? Did you really think that WHILE typing
"Any time you are trying "to teach someone a lesson" you have already lost.

At this point, don't even read my posts. Just read your own.

Last edited:
They were wrong not to let her be one then. People are still wrong to think that it's made OK by having the new movie now.

It's OK for girls to dress as Ghostbusters, not because a new movie said so, but because this isn't 1940 and we're not Archie Bunkers grandfathers.

Probably a better lesson than "It's OK now, because Paul Feig gave us permission"

see, that's the whole weird Feig support like responses that come out when people try to defend this movies existence.
and i only say that because sometimes it seems like people use the 'see, it empowers women to dress up as a ghostbuster!' response like a shield...so you can't come at this particular bit of weird 'logic' with 'hate'.. same way that the 'see, the girl looking at kristen wigg in wonder because she wants to be a ghostbuster and CAN be one now thanks to this movie?' excuse happened when that red carpet photo came out.

never mind the fact that there's probably been about 15 years or more of women dressing up as ghostbusters because they COULD and we arn't stuck in the 40's anymore..
we're also apparently going to ignore the fact that janine was a ghostbuster, and when she suited up it had some of the neater moments in the series, I guess.. we're also going to ignore the fact that millions of men loved kylie with no problem for a decade or more too, I guess....

We're also going to ignore the fact that no one CARED if this was an issue or not BEFORE this little agenda movie came out and just happily dressed up regardless if any women where joining in...

smh.

no one sees how some supporter arguments also come off as 'juvenile' from the other side of the fence, just because they are supposedly positive ? (unless you happen to be an evil crappy person hater of course, who doesn't sing the 'everything is awesome song 24/7, who kicks puppies, and pushes women into puddles rather than uses their coat to cover them) (sorry for giving you whiplash firesprite in a constant smh syndrome that this is still going on....but, you see how it keeps on getting brought up? ;o) )

Sometimes when i see people try to turn this thing around to a positive in odd, un thought out ways, I think of this character from the lego movie. 'NO NEGATIVITY! unless it's me getting mad!' ;o)

eAR4Jas.png

It's really quite simple.

IF this thread bothers you so much, simply stop clicking on it. let goldenhawk and me have another month of fun.
Start a GB 2016 appreciation thread, we'll stay out of it. cause you apparently can't start a BASHING thread to keep the peace... god forbid. that would just be more insanity than endless arguing in a circle.

Once, again, missing the point. The movie didn't fail because of a small group of whiny fans. If YOU MAKE A GOOD MOVIE, no amount of whining will matter. Period. Their failure is on their own backs. People went to see it, not the fan boys, walked out thinking it sucked and told other people as much, which killed it quick. The movie failed because the fan boys were RIGHT in their legitimate criticism of this thing. Let the big boys and girls be big boys and girls and take responsibility for their failure to produce a movie that the average movie goer was willing to sit through. A few thousand middle aged men who like to run around dressed like frickin Ghostbusters didn't kill the movie. The tens of millions who didn't want to see it based on the trailers and awful word or mouth didn't kill it. The creative forces behind it did.

IF this thread bothers you so much, simply stop clicking on it. let goldenhawk and me have another month of fun.
Start a GB 2016 appreciation thread, we'll stay out of it. cause you apparently can't start a BASHING thread to keep the peace... god forbid. that would just be more insanity than endless arguing in a circle.

For me, that's a big part of it. To be 100% honest...I don't even hate this movie. I still like the actresses involved. I even still like Feig. What can I say...I like comedies and he makes em.

But I watched people in this thread pound on you for MONTHS for your predictions. Now when it turned out to be a flop..no one should be surprised that you want to dance on the corpse. After all the criticism you took, I'd say you earned a little dance.

But you don't get that. Not a word of "Well it seems he was right, time to move on" the attacks just shifted smoothly from "You're going to be proven wrong" to "You shouldn't talk about it anymore" without even passing through neutral.

And even that wouldn't bother me...I like a good board fight as much as anyone...but it's couched in wanting to end the negativity and I think that's a bunch of crap. Especially when it's in the same post that continues the attacks. I hate it when rock throwers complain about rocks being thrown. Makes me want to throw rocks at them.

This is probably one of the most hypocritical things I have ever seen posted on ANY forum, not just this one. I would explain my thoughts on it but AJTaliesen beat me to the punch and summed up my feelings perfectly. *highfive*

But if were are seriously taking bets, Im willing to bet it will be either Karmajay, or D_Osborn. :lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back