Death Star plans data card - zenix's build thread

I am good with whatever , but I just don't see aluminum except on the shots of the back of it.

Zenix's version that has the copper showing through the white looks almost exacly like this too me.

Just my 2cents

While I agree that from any single frame showing the card with its main background in bright reflection one might derive a white plastic base, I have to say that having now viewed the HD video source a couple times I too agree with the metallic luster interpretation. It's a very brief split second of a view but after watching it several times it does look metallic to me.

I'll await zenix' final determination and post-Blu-ray release product, but it's been fun watching the wonderful progress on this and I'll be purchasing a copy of my own for sure. Nice work!

Dan

The scene where the disk/card is handed to Leia also suggests a metallic luster. Also very brief but also pretty convincing...

The scene where it's handed to Leia briefly shows both sides - the 'back' side looks to be bare while the 'front' shows the circular gold disk pattern. The base/background material on both look metallic to me.

Dan

Is the a chance the item is white on one side and bare metal on the back? Sorry, just have to ask.

Based on my experience following this thread from day one, I believe both sides to be metallic. It just doesn't make much sense to me why to prop department would go through the hassle of having one side metal and the other plastic, especially when taking into account the overall thickness of the card.

New Theory: What if the card is machined from aluminum and the makers lazily left the protective (sometimes white) wrap on the backside. Explaining why the underside often appears white.

It's aluminum on both sides. 100% positive.
I took screenshots of every frame that the card is in and will upload the individual photos into an album if anyone is interested. Same reflective quality is seen on both sides. It is a brushed/slightly tarnished aluminum and appears dark gray when not reflecting light to the camera compared to the rebel trooper's white plastic helmet, and appears white or almost glowing when reflecting light back. there are even frames where it's half and half as the angle is changing.

Apologies to Dan and Trooper_trent . I do see how its aluminum then the white color is lighting or strobing from those screen grabs. thanks

dude, absolutely no need to apologize. We're all just nerds being super nerdy about a nerdy movie, staring at grainy screenshots of a little metal card because we want one just like it and are trying to either make that happen or discuss it to death until nobody cares anymore. That's the whole spirit of the RPF. :)
Apologies to Dan and Trooper_trent . I do see how its aluminum then the white color is lighting or strobing from those screen grabs. thanks

dude, absolutely no need to apologize. We're all just nerds being super nerdy about a nerdy movie, staring at grainy screenshots of a little metal card because we want one just like it and are trying to either make that happen or discuss it to death until nobody cares anymore. That's the whole spirit of the RPF. :)

Yup, well said! We're all here for the same reason - we love working through all these details. Fun!

Dan

Appreciate that! plus I think you guys were onto the whole thing being aluminum for a long time now.....
Just wanted to note this nerd can be wrong lol

And to be clear, I'll be happy with a white version. Going forward I doubt white versions would be made again, so it's kind of like having a super rare version!
But I'll also be getting an aluminum one down the road:)

me too. I'm totally happy with whatever. I just enjoy supporting the hobby and its members that do all the work for things like this. Being on the cutting edge of new props is difficult when reference is lacking. Bravo to everyone who tries stuff like this. it's very fun.

having a circuit board wth two separate finishes, gold plating, and something else like tin plated copper traces, is very difficult ad expensive. doing it with just onefinish, gold plating, and allowing the aluminum base toshow through the soldermask, is much easier, which is on big reason i thnk the prop makers did it that way. also, in th spaces between the gold, it's darker than the surface material.

i dont think the reference material is clear enough to say its bare aluminum vs soldermask ontop of aluminum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you did it in gold plating on an aluminum base, people could weather and add washes to the traces to darken them to their preferred level. Same with the grooves between the gold discs.

Great video and test photos.

I think if you did it in gold plating on an aluminum base, people could weather and add washes to the traces to darken them to their preferred level. Same with the grooves between the gold discs.

Great video and test photos.
Well what's coming now is the two finish on aluminum base,. Tin traces, gold circles, no soldermask, aluminum exposed both sides. The traces are very close using danns sketch plus my ideas, but it's not perfect. Maybe id do a third one, all gold plated, aluminum exposed no soldermask, and we can darken/sand the gold after. We'll see how the batch turns out

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back