Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
Well, I wasn’t expecting it, but I very much enjoyed it ! You grumpy lot of the RPF be damned, I like Alden as Solo a lot more than I thought. And I didn’t think I’d hate him, I just thought he would leave me indifferent. But I found myself seeing glimpses of Ford in his face, and most importantly Solo. I bought him as a young Solo, although he is a bit too nice, that’s true.
Other than that, it was a fun drive from beginning to end and I wouldn’t mind seeing more of this. I like this a lot more than The Last Jedi in truth !

This film would have been better if it was told in flashbacks and you had Ford at some bar/cantina telling stories. They could have had Ford and Chewie in a cantina playing cards with Lando and Han sees something that reminds him of his past and have him flash back to scenes from this film, and other adventures. Infinitely more entertaining than the yawn fest we were given.

Seen it Saturday with a friend. We both enjoyed it and agreed it was much better than TLJ. I liked Alden's and Donald's take on Han and Lando, particularly Donald. The sabacc game scenes reminded me of McQuairre's concept paintings for ANH depicting Mos Eisley. Loved all the falcon's scenes and how they tied Maul's CW/Rebels story arc in to this. I hope they do make another one and include Jabba.

Also, while obviously Fett wasn’t in the movie, I could swear I saw what looked like Fett’s armor in Dresden’s ship, in the background during their last confrontation. Did I imagine that ? It was blink and you miss it, and might just be a mandalorian armor, but it had the rocket sticking out.

Also, while obviously Fett wasn’t in the movie, I could swear I saw what looked like Fett’s armor in Dresden’s ship, in the background during their last confrontation. Did I imagine that ? It was blink and you miss it, and might just be a mandalorian armor, but it had the rocket sticking out.

It was Mandalorian, but not Fett’s.

Ah thanks, but it was there at least, wasn’t the sweet Macallan I had right before playing tricks on me then. Because I thought I saw R2 in the beginning as well, for a fraction of a second, but I think that one was just a random vaguely similar droid... Although it might have been a small nod to other classic characters just like that Mando armor then.

:lol:lol:lol
"We are all over it, and will spend a lot of time digging into why things happened the way they did. We have a year and a half before Episode IX comes out," says Disney distribution chief Dave Hollis about #Solo box office".
https://twitter.com/StarWarsJunk

"Spend a lot of time digging in to why things happened the way they did" :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:facepalm

Are they still trolling us? I`m not surprised really, you can even see here that some people either just dont or dont want to get it and continue to blame a small group of so called extremists, one very recently in TLJ thread in the most pompous of fashions.

Those masses around the world who do get it have spoken loudly by staying away and if Disney thought the bar wont get any lower than they are in for a rude shock because this was just for the side dish movie and just a warm up for the main course, Episode Nein. Star Wars The Fandom Menace.

Having seen it a second time today, I think I like it better on repeat viewing. I love Woody as an Imperial officer. I love the nods to the previous uses of the Bapty-made base of Han's ANH blaster. I love that at various points, Lando refers to the events in the old Lando Calrissian trilogy... I can't help but wonder if those labor droids seen on Corellia and Kessel are of the same make as Bollux from the Han Solo books of similar vintage.

I'm annoyed now upon finding out that, while Vos may or may not have been one of Maul's Mandalorian followers, the armor on display is described as a "nearly complete set of Old Republic era Mandalorian Rally Master armor". So it's not modern, thus likely not something worn in the Clone Wars, and also the first direct clash I've seen of the new canon with the old pre-RotJ EU... Rally Master was only ever a rank in the Neo-Crusaders during the Mandalorian Wars, and that ain't Neo-Crusader armor.

Also mildly annoyed to find that my looking for Tag and Bink is pointless -- they're not in the finished film. They're in the deleted sequence at the Carida Academy. Hope it's on the Blu-Ray.

As for L3... I still like her, I still don't find anything out-of-place or wrong about her pet cause. Droid liberation has been a thing in the EU off and on for ages. And her relationship with Lando? Not physical. Not in that way. She mentions the awkwardness of working with someone who has feelings for her. Then "sometimes I think maybe... But no. We're not compatible." Implying to me that there's sexual tension (at least on her end), but that it's never been acted upon. And Lando still seems like he's fond of her, and that helps him tolerate her otherwise-annoying quirks. But that's it for him up until he's losing her.

And if that inneundo was too much, what about Han to Qi'ra in Lando's quarters? Where she asks him what next, and he suggests they try out Lando's bed?

Meanwhile, the whole box-office thing. Yes, it's underperforming. Yes, "Star Wars fatigue" probably plays a small part. I do think it's more that this is about the fifth big-draw movie to come out in the last month or so, it's Memorial Day Weekend here in the US, and people who have gone ot see Infinity War or Deadpool once or twice are more likely to want a bit of a break from paying to go to the movies.

...And for all that, it's still #1 at the box office, it's the highest-grossing Memorial Day Weekend opening in four years, it's Ron Howard's highest-grossing opening weekend ever, and a lot of people, myself included, are predicting more of a slow burn with minimal fall-off, as people get a bit of distance from Infinity War and Deadpool, get past the holiday weekend, and word of mouth continues to spread. Twice now for me, and I'm hoping for at least two or three more times with various friends and family before it leaves theaters.

And if that inneundo was too much, what about Han to Qi'ra in Lando's quarters? Where she asks him what next, and he suggests they try out Lando's bed?

A young man and a young woman feeling sexual attraction and a young man and a robot feeling sexual attraction are not the same. When L3 says "It can work, believe me" or words to that effect, the clear implication is that she's capable of having sex. That's skeevy old man in a trenchcoat levels of uncomfortable.

More uncomfortable than a full screen incestual kiss between brother and sister ? Try explaining that to your kids...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back