Kylo Ren TIE Fighter *spoiler alert

newmagrathea

Sr Member
Just saw this. Look pretty cool. Can't wait to see a Bandai version of this with good detail.

kylo_ren_tie_fighter.jpg

http://www.obsev.com/entertainment/...medium=post&utm_campaign=kylo_ren_TIE_fighter

Another uninspiring design that is not original! Doug probably drew 1000 variations of this ship and finally settle on this design.

What next? The T75 is T65 with different colours? Hawty Haw Haw!

Another uninspiring design that is not original! Doug probably drew 1000 variations of this ship and finally settle on this design.

What next? The T75 is T65 with different colours? Hawty Haw Haw!
yeah,i can't believe how much he was bragging about all the design variations they did on the u-wing and that's the one they picked!huh?

I'm not a fan of the new Tie-fighter look in general. It's like they just swapped the colors and said "Well that's a bit boring.. slap a red stripe on it. Yeah, that'll do."

Edit: Actually, I just realized that was like their go-to move for the first movie. When 3PO shows up they were like "Well, we don't really have anything for him to say or do.. Just slap a red arm on him, that'll make it interesting."

Last edited:
Heheh, Uwing design is a disaster and simply show how incredibly uncreative he is. Isn't it scary that he is leading the design team for all new SW movies?

Well, that just shows how opinions differ :). I love the U-wing, and I think it's an incredible piece of work - making a new ship that looks like it fits an existing design universe is really hard, and I think they nailed it. It absolutely looks like it came from the same manufacturer as the x-wing , from the same period as the t-65.

Yeah, I'll second that emotion on the U-Wing. I dig it. It has character to it and a weirdness I think fits with the George Lucas approach of trying new things even if they're a bit funky. It's not completely safe and fan pandering, like the TFA designs. But, IMHO, the reason we get designs like Kylo's TIE is because THAT's what the fans want. They want what they loved in the OT with just a few -- but not too many because that scares us -- changes. I'm hoping TLJ really cranks up the weirdness and originality to 11.

BTW, in fairness to Doug Chang, the reason a design goes through hundreds of variations isn't because the artists are indecisive or clueless. It's because they're dealing with a committee of executives and producers, all of whom want to stroke their egos and put their mark on the film by getting in their damn two cents about everything whether its actually useful or not. It used to be the artists had to please ONE guy, and George usually had a clear idea of what he wanted (even when people didn't agree with it). Now, there's an army of Lucasfilm producers and Disney business people who are all hyper-sensitive to fan criticism and whether or not the design is going to make a good toy. There are a lot of cooks in the kitchen these days.

Yeah, I'll second that emotion on the U-Wing. I dig it. It has character to it and a weirdness I think fits with the George Lucas approach of trying new things even if they're a bit funky. It's not completely safe and fan pandering, like the TFA designs. But, IMHO, the reason we get designs like Kylo's TIE is because THAT's what the fans want. They want what they loved in the OT with just a few -- but not too many because that scares us -- changes. I'm hoping TLJ really cranks up the weirdness and originality to 11.

I agree. Love the U-wing.
Dont hate the other ships but nothing special about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, in fairness to Doug Chang, the reason a design goes through hundreds of variations isn't because the artists are indecisive or clueless. It's because they're dealing with a committee of executives and producers, all of whom want to stroke their egos and put their mark on the film by getting in their damn two cents about everything whether its actually useful or not. It used to be the artists had to please ONE guy, and George usually had a clear idea of what he wanted (even when people didn't agree with it). Now, there's an army of Lucasfilm producers and Disney business people who are all hyper-sensitive to fan criticism and whether or not the design is going to make a good toy. There are a lot of cooks in the kitchen these days.
i would have thought the director has the final say on the design,the movie is his vision.agree on George being more in control back in the day but sure he had toys in mind as well and we still got great designs!

also apologies to new magrathea,might have derailed his thread ;)

While I don't disagree with those who feel this design is lazy or boring, Kylo Ren is such a Vader fanboy that it makes sense that his personal TIE Fighter would be reminiscent of dear old Grandad's.

i would have thought the director has the final say on the design

In a perfect world, this would be true, but in Hollywood is rarely is, especially with Disney. Don't forget, Gareth Edwards didn't have final cut. Disney brought in another director to reshoot up to a third of the film (by some estimates) and recut it.

Well, that just shows how opinions differ :). I love the U-wing, and I think it's an incredible piece of work - making a new ship that looks like it fits an existing design universe is really hard, and I think they nailed it. It absolutely looks like it came from the same manufacturer as the x-wing , from the same period as the t-65.

That's
Exactly what I though of the Radiant VII! now THAT ship nailed it! and yet is mostly over looked:(

In a perfect world, this would be true, but in Hollywood is rarely is, especially with Disney. Don't forget, Gareth Edwards didn't have final cut. Disney brought in another director to reshoot up to a third of the film (by some estimates) and recut it.
whilst the director may not have final cut he generally speaking does have final say on designs,also i believe Edwards bought in his script writing buddy for the reshoots and Edwards himself directed those reshoots.

I didnt get excited by the U-wing when i first saw it as a cheap toy, but now having seen it in the film i think its great! Reminds me a lot of a snowspeeder.. with X-wing engines and wings, but single and folding back.

I dont think much of FO regular TIE the hulls too plain, but i really like the SF one.

Yeah Kylo is such a Vader Fanboy it HAD to look similar really, i like the design, its a more agressive mix. I havent seen the cockpit yet but im sure its ok from what ive heard.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back