Fantastic Beast Westclox Baby Bens and other vintage clocks.DANGER. Radioactivity!

Egon Spengler

Master Member
The Old Westclox Baby Bens as seen in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them were painted with radioactive paints and still to this day give off good amounts of radiation.
Specifcally the clocks with the Black clock face are usually the ones that are Radioactive.

http://www.alarmclockdoc.com/FAQ.htm

" Q: What does “luminous dial” mean on an old alarm clock?

A: With respect to vintage clocks, “Luminous dial” refers to hands, numbers, dots, etc. that are painted with a material that continues to glow after the ambient light in the room is turned off. It does NOT refer to an electric backlight behind the dial, as we see in newer electric clocks. These are usually referred to as “Lighted dials.”

A little known fact is that the old luminous paint was mildly radioactive--actually, a form of radioactive cobalt and/or radium, mixed with phosphorescent paint. Everyone is familiar with the concept of phosphorescents, as they are used to coat the inside of TV picture tubes. When electrons strike the material, it glows. It is similar with luminous paint. Of course, it has been a long time since radium was used in luminous clock dials. The newer material is an acrylic material consisting of a long-persistence phosphorescent material, sensitive to photons (light).

In the old days workers who would use their mouths to point up the brushes to paint luminous material on aviation indicators and clocks ended up with tongue, throat, and lip cancer. We are not aware of any recorded health hazard with these dials installed on the clock in normal use. Remember, however, that the half life on the old radium paint is in the many hundreds of years. It is advisable to avoid scraping it off the hands and touching it. The phosphorescent material dies off, but the radium remains alive and well for a long time. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLjcz-OBonY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_R1E-QpuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqpIpRweRIU

Re: Fantastic Beast Westclox Baby Bens and other vintage clocks.DANGER. Radioactivit

Egon Spengler WOW! Thanks for the heads up. Obviously I have one of them. I was somewhat aware of the dials being mildly radioactive, but I never considered the danger. Presently it's in a display cabinet along with my decoy detonators and Colin Creevy camera, away from the normal traffic pattern. However, I do intend to take it to more conventions. I had a radioactive cat for a while and the precautions we were required to take were extensive.

Thanks again!

ATL

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Fantastic Beast Westclox Baby Bens and other vintage clocks.DANGER. Radioactivit

Wow, I had no idea! Thank you for the information on this.

No problem guys! I had learned about this back in high school but forgot about it and then I found this. I actually wonder if the props department on the film knew about this. I cancelled my ebay order and hope the seller allows the cancellation. I don't want the clock anymore.

Wow that is crazy! Thanks for the info. I've had mine near me for a while....hope it wont turn me into a zombie of some short. I'll probably get rid of it now.

Yes, radium is dangerous and some care should be taken. However, it should be stressed that the reason why those workers developed cancer was because they would lick the paintbrushes used to apply the radium and ingested it.

I don't think I'd be too worried about leaving it up on the shelf in my collection. Just make sure you're not constantly opening up the clock face and breathing in the particles. We're exposed to all sorts background radiation and such during the course of a year anyway. I have old watches with tritium and such in them and don't worry that much about it, but I don't wear them everyday anyway.

Last edited:

The thing is if the clock is intact it still emits radiation, and yeah it's more dangerous if the particles get loose and are flaking off, but a lot of the clocks on ebay have broken lenses or have had the lenses replace with plastic. I just thought I'd give a heads up on this for over all safety.

My wife was telling me about a documentary she watched on this. Pretty nasty stuff.

Oh crap! I opened mine up as the paint had fallen off the big hand. I tried to glue it back on but it disintegrated pretty quickly. Well, if I get cancer at least I know it was because of JK Rowling haha.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back