Sundowner's Luke v2 build

Sundowner

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I purchased a Luke v2 from Anakin Starkiller's run and stencils from Trooper Trent. I started off giving everything a good soapy scrub. Then decided it was too shiny so I dulled the finish with oven cleaner.

Finish before oven cleaner

image.jpeg

After the application of oven cleaner

image.jpeg

I also gave the bottom booster a little beating and followed Trooper Trent's instructions. I winced every time I heard the booster ping as my hammer struck it. I then sanded the burrs off of it and gave it a blast of paint. I started smearing the booster with a paper towel soaked in mineral spirits until I liked the results.

image.jpeg

So far so good! This is an extremely fun build so far!

very nice!! I last weekend used the oven cleaner trick and loved the results!

I love how your booster came out I want to achieve the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice job so far. The oven cleaner is a great tip!

I'm applying the stencils while looking at reference pictures. My girlfriend came by and said "so someone took time to study every grainy picture to make an elaborate stencil" I just replied "uh ya, we like details" hahaha

very nice!! I last weekend used the oven cleaner trick and loved the results!

I love how your booster came out I want to achieve the same thing

Thanks! I'm really pleased with it. Trooper Trent knows what he's talking about!

I'm applying the stencils while looking at reference pictures. My girlfriend came by and said "so someone took time to study every grainy picture to make an elaborate stencil" I just replied "uh ya, we like details" hahaha

Tell her that's not even the bad part. The bad part is that people will then cross reference the stencils to the grainy photos and tell me all the places I got it wrong. "this scratch is .1mm too high and it should be curved down a bit more."

Tell her that's not even the bad part. The bad part is that people will then cross reference the stencils to the grainy photos and tell me all the places I got it wrong. "this scratch is .1mm too high and it should be curved down a bit more."

Hahahahaha oh no, none of our members would do such a thing :D

I've done the same thing with the oven cleaner, it really makes it look used. Interesting technique with the paint, I'll have to consider that when I start darkening the metal.

What's the active ingredient in the oven cleaner or brand name? Domestic products are indecipherable to me where I live :lol. I was just going to leave mine outside in the summer humidity haha. This looks easier! (Although you'd like what the weather has done to my aluminium bike parts)

Did you oven cleaner the emitter also? Or just the booster section?

i actually decided to use the oven cleaner after I already finished the booster. So I covered everything except the booster. I just taped a bag over that portion when I sprayed it.

I've done the same thing with the oven cleaner, it really makes it look used. Interesting technique with the paint, I'll have to consider that when I start darkening the metal.
b

I was really pleased with the outcome!

What's the active ingredient in the oven cleaner or brand name? Domestic products are indecipherable to me where I live :lol. I was just going to leave mine outside in the summer humidity haha. This looks easier! (Although you'd like what the weather has done to my aluminium bike parts)

I'm not entirely sure, maybe some one else can chime in. I saw someone use it to weather another aluminum prop on the forum.

Looks very nice, good start :)

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back