Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

Finally got to watch it! I'm half and half whether it was a good or bad movie... Probably weighing towards good, of course. At least it wasn't as bad as Episode I.

Just got home. I enjoyed it although there are some questionable story elements. What happened to Phasma? She is supposed to make it through to the next film.

I enjoyed the humor. It will be interesting to see how it holds up over multiple viewings.

The Solo thing. Good grief. I knew it was coming. They telegraphed it, but it still hurt. My eight year old self got kicked in the gut.

Good or or bad story, when a movie can elicit a emotional response, it's done its job.

Like JJ Abrams I, too, was 11 years old when I saw Star Wars. This film captured the visual style, tone and pacing of the first film perfectly. And it did so without replicating the feel so much as it seemed to be an organic extension of the original film. It has more in common with ANH than even ESB. JJ Abrams appreciates the very elements that I've loved most about SW from the start - appreciation of common details of life on a small scale (e.g. lunching in the shadow of a wrecked AT-AT) as well as the grand space battles.

Presently my Star Wars film collection is comprised of only two films: Harmy's Despecialized Star Wars and Harmy's Despecialized Empire Strikes Back.
And when The Force Awakens comes out on blu-ray it will be the third.

I enjoyed it a lot. Definitely better than the prequals. I think I agree with Kyle Newman this might be the 3rd best out of all of them.

I liked how they made Kylo Ren completely unhinged. How he flies off the handle on occasion.

I love spoilers and I really want to know...do we see lukes jedi saber? does he fight at all?

Im assuming you mean the blue saber (that he lost in Empire) that was Anakin's. If so, then yes, they find it in an old wooden chest that Maz Kanata has. She gives it to Fin than Rey takes it later in the movie. At the very end of the movie Rey is seen handing it out to Luke. Luke does not fight

I was wondering the same. Considering how much hype they gave her character she didn't have much screen time.

Apparently she has a larger role in the next film. So she escapes somehow, but it was a bit weird how she just kind of disappeared after lowering the shields.

Went last night and am leaving in 45 minutes for the second.....not sure how I feel about Han. I mean I knew it would happen in my mind, but couldn't believe it once it happened. It's the only element I have to "digest". I mean it needed to happen for lots of reasons, but now that it has I've got tons of mixed emotions about it.

Ahhh Star Wars why does thou haunt me so :lol

ALSO why is Ren so emo. Dude shows up like the baddest guy in the world then ends up having HUGE daddy issues. Don't get me wrong LOVED the movie but just looking for something to make fun of.

ALSO why is Ren so emo. Dude shows up like the baddest guy in the world then ends up having HUGE daddy issues. Don't get me wrong LOVED the movie but just looking for something to make fun of.
That's what I thought at first but then I realized he's not supposed to be the "baddest guy." From the start he's simply aspiring to be like Vader and admits to his own inadequacies throughout. He shows so much uncertainty that I really thought his dad might actually be able to get through to him. At that critical moment I was shocked and stunned when you-know-what happened instead. If he was a complete baddie they couldn't have convincingly written that outcome.

Oh once all the euphoria dies there will be some critical responses.

I watched TFA and I have to say it is indeed a good SW movie, and remember I'm a big OT fan. The acting was really fine, Han was great (including solo ;), with Rey and Finn, and with Leia), you can feel Harrison did his best for this role, Rey and Finn totally have the chemistry going, hope we'll see more of Poe Dameron. I also liked Kylo's quite complex character torn between the two worlds, not a powerful Sith, but an unbalanced wannabe baddie who finally chooses his path.

The overall plot was a bit too safe, by following OT (ANH and ESB) steps, but was kind of understandable considering this was the first movie from a new trilogy (or even 2 trilogies, who knows). Special effects were great, but that was to be expected. Waiting to see the next "Death Star" in episode 8.

Phasma and Luke were a bit of a disappointment. Phasma really should have had more going to her, hope she will come back, and Luke in the final scenes was too odd. It would have been ok for a short scene, but it was too long, and became weird.

In the next films we also need to find out and understand how and why Rey has access so fast to the Force, because otherwise it would be weird (Luke's daughter maybe but even so, you know what I mean). I didn't like the scenes with the tentacle monster on Han's ship, it was too forced, and also a bit the way Finn turns against his fellow Stormtroopers, he found his way, but shoots his former colleagues too easily, at least at the beginning.

My personal conclusion: TFA beats the Prequels the same way furry Ewoks beat both the Rebels and the Empire on Endor LOL :p
It is not perfect, but a good start for the new Star Wars.

It's hard for me to criticize anything about the film because it's such a monumental accomplishment.
SW fans who span different generations appreciate different things about the mythos. I don't blame anyone for being nervous about the film because it's almost inevitable that some small population of fans would find something to criticize. That the film is so well received is a stunning achievement.

As I said earlier, I am the same age as JJ Abrams so I feel he likely he saw SW with my eyes. After watching TFA I am certain that's the case. For me he hit a complete home run. JJ made the movie for me.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back