How to determine how much silicone needed for mold and how much resin needed to cast

Re: How to determine how much silicone needed for mold and how much resin needed to c

Not sure if this will help but an easy way to find an objects volume is to place the object in a container filled with water. The amount of water it displaces will be equal in volume to the object. So if youhad a mold made for an action figure (lets say) and wanted to know how much resin to duplicate it, you could fill a pot with water to the brim. Put that in a larger pot or basin, put the action figure in the pot full of water and the amonut of water that pours over the edge into the larger container has an equal volume to the action figure. Pour that into a measuring cup and you can see how much resin you need.

Re: How to determine how much silicone needed for mold and how much resin needed to c

Not sure if this will help but an easy way to find an objects volume is to place the object in a container filled with water. The amount of water it displaces will be equal in volume to the object. So if youhad a mold made for an action figure (lets say) and wanted to know how much resin to duplicate it, you could fill a pot with water to the brim. Put that in a larger pot or basin, put the action figure in the pot full of water and the amonut of water that pours over the edge into the larger container has an equal volume to the action figure. Pour that into a measuring cup and you can see how much resin you need.

thanks so much , really helped

L x W x H x 18.5 = total grams / 2 = how much part A or B if you're using something that is a 1:1 ratio. I got that off of one of the videos from Tested's channel on YouTube. They were making a mold of a lightsaber and through that equation up on the screen.

I don't have any cool equations for resin. The displacement suggestion would work.

Yeah, to find out how much resin I need for a mould I fill it with water and then pour into a cup on a scale. That or into a measuring cup if I want volume rather than weight.

You can also do a quick volume calculation if you're doing a block mould and subtract the volume of the object, Length X width X height, 1cubic centimetre = 1ml, so a mould that needed to be 6cm by 10cm by 10cm would be 600ml minus the volume of the object(s) to be moulded :)

The water is the best way to do it I think Also to derermine how much resin rice or sugar fill mould empty in mixing cup mark level thats the amount needed

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back