Millennium Falcon ANH front console mystery

I love the guy, but Harrison Ford also said in an interview that because Peter Mayhew was too big to fit in the seat, he's actually composited in post into every shot in the cockpit... not the most reliable source of information in an interview...

so with the chrome part, I'm starting to lean towards the chromed back-plate of a car head or tail light? This shape look familiar to anyone?

Capture.JPG

or even a wing mounted landing light from an aircraft?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I just can't find anything with three different sizes of hole. Everything has maybe a pair but they're the same size.

just for reference, the part appears to be about 4" x 12"

so with the chrome part, I'm starting to lean towards the chromed back-plate of a car head or tail light? This shape look familiar to anyone?

Huh. Now that's a very interesting theory!

What about a dashboard? Were there any weird 70s cars with bizarre flamboyant chromed dashboard inserts for the dials? Seems impractical, but who knows?

The time period might work - you'd want something old and cheap, and 1960s chrome would fall into that category by 1976. But British cars used less chrome than American ones, and of course throughout the 70s there was that slide towards the 1980s, where car trimmings were all cheap black rectilinear plastic. :)

Incidentally, I'm sure people know this, but Maruska's console design has made it to a commercial product as well. The Hot Toys cockpit.

duo-cockpit.jpg

Even the Force Awakens cockpit is getting in on the action, even though TFA had a totally different console design!

tfa-cockpit.jpg

Incidentally, I'm sure people know this, but Maruska's console design has made it to a commercial product as well. The Hot Toys cockpit.

View attachment 768834

Even the Force Awakens cockpit is getting in on the action, even though TFA had a totally different console design!

View attachment 768835

Its interesting that Hot Toys mixed both the ANH and ESB versions of the console together. This makes me a sad panda

Its interesting that Hot Toys mixed both the ANH and ESB versions of the console together. This makes me a sad panda

Yeah, but everybody does that! I don't get it. Why does nobody bother to simply get the cockpit right? It's genuinely not hard - you a) model it after the movie that the exterior of the ship is modelled after, and b) don't mix up random elements from the three designs.

But there's never been a kit or model that's got it right! Even the Bandai 1:72 Falcon gets it wrong!

Unbelievable! Ace research there nkg:cool Sometimes, I wonder if some of those front console's holes were not simply there to make sure that the heat, coming from the lights, wasn't about to start a fire in that crowded set:unsure Not a problem now with LEDs.

Thanks for the kind words! It's possible those were vent holes, but they do line up exactly with the areas of the top square panel which have blue lights in other views. So it does appear that they were drilled out as backlight holes.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back